This era was unquestionably my favourite era following Chelsea, it spanned the years when I was 10-14 and still entertaining dreams that one day I could be out there playing for the Blues!
Highlights:
- Relegation from the old first division in the playoffs by Boro
- Coming straight back up at the first time of asking with record points and goals tally
- 7-0 win v Walsall (Durie scoring 5) and 3-2 at Maine Road (inflatable celery!!!!!!!!)
- ZDS Cup win v Boro (Dorigo free kick!!!!!!!)
- Start of our dominance at Tottenham with a 4-1 win at 3 point lane (beautiful lob by Dixon over Thorsvedt)
- First win at Anfield in donkeys courtesy of a screamer by vinnie Jones
- Vinnie getting booked in 4 seconds v Sheff Utd in the FA Cup at the Bridge
- Getting to the semis of the Rumbleows Cup in 1991 (losing to Weds over 2 legs) and stuffing Tottenham 3-0 at the Lane en route.
I'll post more when they come to mind.
Thing I loved abiut this era was how many youth products we had coming through the ranks, from memory:
Myers, Le Saux, Hall, Stuart, Lee, Cundy, Damian Matthew. Theres something about players coming from the youth to the 1st team that all football fans appreciate.
Allright a lot of them never really done as good as expected by I DEFO saw the potential in Le Saux and was gutted when Webby sold him transfer deadline in 1993.
Le Saux in his first spell at the club was really a victim of his own versatilkity as Campbell, Porterfield and Webb played him all over the place and he never really got a steady run in the side in one position, I dont think anyone really had much faith in him which is ashame as he was my favourite player at the time, I ever grew my hair out to be the same as that mop he had. Remember him throwing his shirt on the ground after being subbed Christmas 1992 v Southampton.
Anyway I'm waffling, great days I'm sure you will all agree.
Highlights:
- Relegation from the old first division in the playoffs by Boro
- Coming straight back up at the first time of asking with record points and goals tally
- 7-0 win v Walsall (Durie scoring 5) and 3-2 at Maine Road (inflatable celery!!!!!!!!)
- ZDS Cup win v Boro (Dorigo free kick!!!!!!!)
- Start of our dominance at Tottenham with a 4-1 win at 3 point lane (beautiful lob by Dixon over Thorsvedt)
- First win at Anfield in donkeys courtesy of a screamer by vinnie Jones
- Vinnie getting booked in 4 seconds v Sheff Utd in the FA Cup at the Bridge
- Getting to the semis of the Rumbleows Cup in 1991 (losing to Weds over 2 legs) and stuffing Tottenham 3-0 at the Lane en route.
I'll post more when they come to mind.
Thing I loved abiut this era was how many youth products we had coming through the ranks, from memory:
Myers, Le Saux, Hall, Stuart, Lee, Cundy, Damian Matthew. Theres something about players coming from the youth to the 1st team that all football fans appreciate.
Allright a lot of them never really done as good as expected by I DEFO saw the potential in Le Saux and was gutted when Webby sold him transfer deadline in 1993.
Le Saux in his first spell at the club was really a victim of his own versatilkity as Campbell, Porterfield and Webb played him all over the place and he never really got a steady run in the side in one position, I dont think anyone really had much faith in him which is ashame as he was my favourite player at the time, I ever grew my hair out to be the same as that mop he had. Remember him throwing his shirt on the ground after being subbed Christmas 1992 v Southampton.
Anyway I'm waffling, great days I'm sure you will all agree.