New music suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerqueen

Win or lose, support the team
Messages
10,286
Reaction score
3,503
I realise I am stuck in a rut and want to find some new favourites.   A few years back by going to festivals and having young to mid-teenage children I got to know some stuff but haven't kept up to date since.  I will ask my kids but thought I'd also ask you lot for some ideas.

My taste is fairly mainstream - the ones I liked a few years back were fairly obvious ones - Kaisers, Muse, Foos, Editors, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Zutons, the Coral, Starsailor (absolutely love them!).  I also like Oasis and Blur. 

I went to a local festival last year and really liked Masters in France and Remedysounds who were playing there.

So - who will accept the challenge and suggest some new music for me to listen to?  (If they are going to play at Glastonbury next year, so much the better as I'm going - woo hoo!!)

Edit - oops - didn't say Please in the title - very, very sorry to be so rude.  Can't seem to edit it  - please mentally add the please to the title!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh thanks - heard Frank Turner on tv at Glasto (?) and thought he sounded good but had completely forgotten about him.  Have heard of WAS (I think eldest son likes them) but haven't really listened and will give DD a listen (am at work at mo so can't yet!)

Thanks again!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
They're not British but you seem to like the more up-beat and melodic kind of indie music so I think you might like The Shins:



If I wasn't at work without access to my iTunes library I could probably make some amazing suggestions so... boo to work.

 
Dresden Dolls are brilliant.

Tim W is your man for music advice. His suggestions never fail to please. E.g. Father John Misty

 
Speaking of Father John Misty, Fleet Foxes are one of his old bands and you might like them if you like Starsailor:


 
Ah yes, I know Fleet Foxes but haven't listened for a while - will definitely have to revisit!  And thanks for other suggestions - will be trying all of these over the weekend - I think you all have my musical tasted sussed.

And they don't have to be British - just that's who I seemed to get into because that's who played at V fest which was the one I went to for a good few years.

 
This might be a little out there but you could try listening to Phoenix, I am sure you have heard their music before. They are kind of a fusion of new wave and alternative rock and recently released a new album too. They have also played at Glastonbury in the past so they might be returning next summer.

They received a lot of fame for their Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix album in 2009 but I think they have better music. Here are a couple of my favorites:


 
Ah yes, I know Fleet Foxes but haven't listened for a while - will definitely have to revisit!  And thanks for other suggestions - will be trying all of these over the weekend - I think you all have my musical tasted sussed.

And they don't have to be British - just that's who I seemed to get into because that's who played at V fest which was the one I went to for a good few years.
I will second Fleet Foxes - I have two of their albums and they're very pleasant and melancholy. I don't usually listen to this kind of music either.


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Father John Misty, Fleet Foxes are one of his old bands and you might like them if you like Starsailor:

Saw Fleet Foxes supporting Wilco a good few years ago.  Think they're another Sub Pop label band, and are very good.

 
"Band of Skulls" and "Toy", if you want some 70/80s type of rock give "The Temperance Movement a listen". 

 
Thanks for all the suggestions - now to find time to listen to them - will spotify them while I wrap some presents and decide which ones (or all of them!) to put on my Christmas list!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top