Old Sitcoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Drop the Dead Donkey - brilliant!  I especially loved Joy and Neil Pearson's character - Dave?  And the intrepid news reporter who always found a child's teddy bear in the rubble.......because he'd placed it there.

Oh and the Day Today - another topical satire which I think was the first place that Alan Partridge was seen.  I remember one financial section which just had meaningless ticker tape of zeroes and ones running along the bottom - about as meaningful as a real financial report to me!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
"Frasier" was awesome.

Vicar of Dibley was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.  Certainly not as clever as Yes Minister, which I absolutely love, but nevertheless charming and funny in a more homely way.  It probably helps living in a village and being on a village hall committee (yes, I know, you didn't put me down as a law-abiding committee type person, to be honest I'm not sure quite how and when I got roped into it) and some of the meetings have been very like the ones Geraldine had to sit through!  It is certainly better than a lot of sit-coms out there.

But alongside Yes Minister, I think Red Dwarf is another favourite not mentioned yet.  Again very clever but also very simple at times.  I'm obviously talking about the earlier series, the later one were a bit pony.
I watched that when I was a kid.  When I was a teenager, Thursday night was "Britcom" night, since WTTW (the local PBS station) showed British sitcoms. My sister and I watched "Vicar of Dibley" and "Keeping Up Appearances" with my mom and dad, and after we went to bed, my parents watched "As Time Goes By" and "Are You Being Served?" (I watched a few episodes of the latter on YouTube, funny as heck).

 
Red Dwarf - terrific - I have most of it on DVD.

I also loved Drop the Dead Donkey.
Got the full red dwarf box set a few years ago, brilliant show.
 
Coupling was very good - another clever, rude one, generally under-rated and not that well known I don't think - some of the concepts were fantastic - the giggle loop and the man who had too many legs were brilliant.  And I also loved Cold Feet - more of a sit than a com often but I liked the development of the characters over the different series and it was funny too.

 
Lovee cheers, perfect sitcom really. Though Seinfeld was better.....

Sitcom FIGHT.....
Never took to Seinfeld or the incessant use of that base guitar all the way through the show...but it is one of those pointless arguments where everyone thinks their choice is the best....what is undeniable is that there are few comedies at the moment worth watching

 
I used to love Roseanne on a Friday night, before that Benson.  You can't beat the Yanks for sitcom's.

 
Some great sitcoms mentioned so far, here a few other classics...

Steptoe & Son

Till Death Us Do Part

M*A*S*H

Soap

The Brittas Empire

The Good Life

There must be more!

 
I'd forgotten about Roseanne!  If I'd ever had a daughter, I would have wanted her to be like Darlene!

 
I used to watch Roseanne too, I've watched all sorts over the years depending on what I was doing at the time, when I was a kid I used to love Mind Your Language, it probably wouldn't seem that good now but back then it was and also Love Thy Neighbour which would be banned 100 times over now! Then when my own kids were growing up we used to watch The Fresh Prince and The Cosby Show which were pretty good. Allo Allo was fab as it was just so stupid and Black Adder Goes Forth was genius and the last scene just gets me every time!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see, I watched:

M*A*S*H

The Cosby Show

Perfect Strangers

Full House

Growing Pains

Family Matters

I Love Lucy

Dike Van Dyke Show

Mary Tyler Moore

I Dream of Jeannie

Frasier

Cheers

Friends

Keeping Up Appearences

Vicar of Dibley

Are You Being Served? (I love Mr. Lucas' pranks, and the "glass of water for (fill in the blank)" lines)

There are at least a few others that I'm missing.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top