Pop Music in Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
few more...

Lindsey Buckingham - Holiday Road (National Lampoon's Vacation)

Lindsey Buckingham - Dancin' Across The USA (National Lampoon's Vacation)

Glenn Frey - The Heat Is On (Beverly Hills Cop)

Bob Seger - Katmandu (Mask)

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit (Platoon)

Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco (Buster)

Beach Boys - Kokomo (Cocktail) - good pop song, crap film

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody (Ghost)

Cher - Shoop Shoop Song (Mermaids)

Jimmy Soul - If You Wanna Be Happy (Mermaids)

Not exactly pop, but...

Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs - Duelling Banjos (Deliverance)

Eric Idle - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (Monty Python's Life Of Brian)

do these count?

Manfred Mann - Up The Junction

Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

 
few more...Glenn Frey - The Heat Is On (Beverly Hills Cop)

Bob Seger - Katmandu (Mask)
Bob Seger - Shakedown (Beverly Hills Cop 2)

Daniel Lanois - Sonho Dourado (Friday Night Lights)

Neil Young - Rockin in the Free World (Fahrenheit 911)

Neil Young - Philadelphia (Philadelphia)

Dick dale - Misirlou (Pulp Fiction)

Van Morrison _ Brown Eyed Girl (Sleeping With The Enemy)

 
I admit I haven't read through the thread so I am bound to repeat some here. I will try and keep it down to under 10 (and stick to the pop music)

The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff (The Harder They Come)

Waiting for the Miracle - Leonard Cohen (Natural Born Killers)

Whiter Shade of Pale - King Curtis (Withnail & I)

The End - The Doors (Apocalypse Now)

American Woman - The Guess Who (American Beauty)

Whe Doves Cry - Prince (Purple Rain)

Little Green Bag - The George Baker Selection (Reservoir Dogs)

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who (Quadrophenia)

The Thief of Your Heart - Sinead O'Connor (In the Name of the Father)

The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel0 (The Gaduate)

 
Lust for Life - Trainspotting

Stuck in the middle with you - Resevoir Dogs

 
All this way and no one has mentioned the most cringeworth of them all....Brian Adam's Everything I Do...Robin Hood. Terrible song, and it was at number one for how long?! And all those folk that had it as their wedding song!

Ca Plan Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrands??? - European Vacation.

Kenny Loggins - Caddyshack' main theme song, think it's called I'm Alright?

 
And EVEN worse than the Bryan Adams was the Céline Dion whine for Titanic - ghastly film, ghastly song!

and Whitney Houston I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I Will Always Love You - The Bodyguard

 
School of Rock got a mention earlier. The song that I associate with that film is the Ramones - Bonzo goes to Bitburg.

 
The Business - I ran (A Flock of Seagulls)

Purple Rain - The Beautiful Ones (Prince) PRINCE "Beautiful One"

The Deer Hunter - Cant take my eyes of you (Frankie Valli)

 
You Could be Mine (Guns n' Roses) - Terminator 2

Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) - Rocky III

Then he Kissed Me (The Crystals) - Goodfellas

Hundred Mile High City (Ocean Colour Scene) - Lock Stock

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals) - Casino

 
And EVEN worse than the Bryan Adams was the Céline Dion whine for Titanic - ghastly film, ghastly song!and Whitney Houston I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I Will Always Love You - The Bodyguard
Uhhhhhgggggg! How could I have forgotten those....terrible terrible songs, and films

 
Iggy Pop - Wild Child - Crocodile Dundee 2

and maybe this is too old to count: As Time Goes By - Casablanca

 
Last edited by a moderator:
bah between loz, bluebeard and bjd a lot of my favourites have already been named, so have a couple from goodfellas

-sunshine of your love by cream and jump into the fire by harry nilsson (possibly my absolute favourite marriage of pop music and film)... oh also the piano part of layla after the lufthansa heist...

girl you'll be a woman soon covered by urge overkill in pulp fiction (another great film for use of pop)

gimme shelter in casino

scorsese is probably the best at this... there is also the ronettes be my baby in mean streets and so on

lust for life, iggy pop, trainspotting (between this, goodfellas and the graduate for the best use of pop in a film I reckon)

also perfect day in trainspotting may not have been mentioned.

dunno if you can count isaac hayes work on shaft or vangelis' on blade runner... when they make the music specificall for the film... bah... will include them anyway.

last one- she smiled sweetly going into ruby tuesday by the beatles in the royal tenenbaums.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant Neil Jordan film - The Crying Game with Stephen Rea, Forest Whittaker and Miranda Richardson - uses the Dave Berry song with the same name.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top