Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mod

A Touchable
Staff member
Messages
19,165
Reaction score
8,770
Beta is out, anyone had a bash yet?

I hear its sh*t and geared towards more of a mobile or Tab feel. If that's the case, I can't see it being any sort of replacement to Windows 7, which I still think is awesome.

 
Apparently though it has some advantages in being geared towards tablets in that it is supposed to be very, very quick. Which is interesting, but yeah I don't like the look of the 'Metro' layout and I don't like the sound of the idea that you can't resize windows the way you want, it only allows a 75%/25% split of windows on your screen which to my mind doesn't sound right.

I'll probably end up getting it at some point in the future, though because no doubt a new version of direct X will come out and only work on Windows 8, meaning anyone wanting to play new games has to upgrade.

 
I have it and I don't like it so far. Granted, I've only done a bit of playing with it so I'll update this thread as I do more.

It is very geared towards a mobile/tablet feel. It's supposed to be seamless between the PC and mobile/tablet, but I don't have a windows mobile or tablet to try that out.

So far, it doesn't hold a candle to Windows 7.

 
I've had a little play too. Doesn't work on a computer all that well but looks like it will be awesome on a tablet.

Its early days but MS are putting a big effort behind getting developers on board. That will make a huge difference.

 
As with most windows releases its going to be full of bugs to start with so ill prob wait till 1st service pack before i upgrade from win 7. Hopefully they will still have the win xp virtual machine and sort out all the windows 64bit probs so you can still run older 32 bit stuff on a 64 bit machine but yeah im gonna be patient with it till at least service pack 1 me thinks

 
For a while now only every second Windows release was worth the change. 98SE was good, ME was sh*t, XP was good, Vista was sh*t, 7 is good... so I don't have high hopes for 8.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top