2014 Running Costs - Dig Deeper than Dirk Diggler

loz

The Schoolmaster
Staff member
Messages
22,723
Reaction score
6,608
Yes it is that time of year again!  We have just paid about £300 for a year of hosting and for annual licenses for added functionality such as the chat room and reader’s wives forum…OK only Mod and I have access to that one. 

As a result the forum bank account now looks as bare as Ron Davies on Clapham Common and so it is time for this…

/monthly_02_2014/post-3-0-57487000-1391540511_thumb.jpg

I have set up a new 2014 Running Cost goal which you can access via the ‘Donate’ link at the top of the page.    I know a lot of regulars have donated many times in the past so can I appeal to those who haven’t to help out a little.

Cheers

Loz

 

Attachments

  • uncommon_begging_methods_07.jpg
    uncommon_begging_methods_07.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
If you allow us to donate with methods other than paypal I might be able to.

 
Also, what sort of bandwidth/memory/etc... do you use at the moment hosting the site? I could host you for free on my server if you wanted. I can't imagine a forum, even a popular one would use anywhere near what my website already uses itself, so wouldn't be a problem.

 
least we could do.

Thanks again lads

 
Also, what sort of bandwidth/memory/etc... do you use at the moment hosting the site? I could host you for free on my server if you wanted. I can't imagine a forum, even a popular one would use anywhere near what my website already uses itself, so wouldn't be a problem.
I will let Mod get back to you on that Zeta

Other ways you can donate if it suits you are direct bank transfer (I can send you details) or you can send cheque to me.

Cheers

Loz

 
It's not so much the actual website up on the server Zeta, it's the number of connections to the database. We are running on a VDS, nothing else copes with the amount of concurrent connections.

That server is also tweaked (caches etc) just for this forum and would normally be £249 a month.

Personally I think the forum is visited more by readers as opposed to actual posts going on, so daily post counts and member visits doesn't actually reflect how the server is getting driven per day.

 
What sort of number are we talking? For instance the website I currently host on my server has about 5-10 db connections per second and runs fine.

 
Post this is in the main forum and im sure you'll get more money.

 
Because, alledgedly, you're a woman, and we all know women like ironing.

 
Because, alledgedly, you're a woman, and we all know women like ironing.

That would be funnier, darling, if you had contrived to spell allegedly correctly!  XXXXX anyway

 
World peace, small dogs and anything else that can get me bedded.

 
Back
Top