i prefer kaspersky at the moment, though i would also consider f-secure. if you go for a free one then avg free.Fellow Shedenders!Im in the process of upgrading my crappy Dell desktop to a new laptop. My query is what is the best antivirus/firewall out in the market?
I've been using McAfee for the past year: never again!
Cheers!
Doesn't Mcaffee play for Celtic?AVG gets my voteMcaffee is a no go for me as well.
![]()
Interesting. You work in PC World and you don't even mention a firewall.i work in pc world and i get 5 people a day who have had viruses wreck their windows.get:
free virus protection: Avira Antivir
free trojan cleaner: A Squared Free
free spyware cleaner: SuperAnti Spyware
get all 3 and run them weekly or fortnightly.
neither mcaffee or kaspersky or webroot are good enough on their own, and AVG is worse than it used to be forget that.
vistas firewall plus the hardware firewall in the modem will do fine for most non-pc literate ppl. too much information just confuses them.Interesting. You work in PC World and you don't even mention a firewall.I'm still running Sygate Pro, which with a little tweaking, is as solid as any firewall out there -even though Symantec did their best to kill it off. Unfortunately, it doesn't (so I'm told) work with Vista.
Comodo gets best reviews of any free firewall, but last time I tried it, the programme had difficultly coping with a dynamic IP - every time I connected, it would see the connection as a "New Network". I don't know if this has been resolved in newer versions - I'm happy with Sygate.
Be careful with A Squared Free, which has a tendency to throw up false positives. It also flags various forms of "greyware", apart from keygens and the like, these also include perfectly legitimate programs, such as password recovery apps and so on.
Spyware: I'm running Spybot S&D with SpyWare Blaster - both free and both do the job very well.
AntiVirus: Plenty of decent alternatives to the big unmentionables out there. The best, in my opinion, being NOD32, which, if you can't find/don't trust a cracked copy, will cost you around £23 per year. The last freebie AV I ran was Avast! which I found ok, but which failed to prevent infections on a friend's PC.
That may be fine for people running Vista who use a router to connect. I couldn't tell you about Vista's firewall, but to be any good at all, then it would have to be a vast improvement on the one that comes with XP.vistas firewall plus the hardware firewall in the modem will do fine for most non-pc literate ppl. too much information just confuses them.
the vista one is fine, plus yes the router firewall.. i generalised the term modem because most customers just know that word.That may be fine for people running Vista who use a router to connect. I couldn't tell you about Vista's firewall, but to be any good at all, then it would have to be a vast improvement on the one that comes with XP.Routers have firewalls , modems don't.
Which doesn't say a lot for customers, or for your company's policy, for not explaining the difference.the vista one is fine, plus yes the router firewall.. i generalised the term modem because most customers just know that word.
That's four different sources for a start. Traditionally, firewalls were more effective at blocking trojans and the like, but nowadays of course there's a crossover. The Vista/router firewall combination may be fine for people running Vista and connecting via a router, but not for people with neither. Me for instance, I run XP Pro and will continue to do so for as long as possible. My current intention is to avoid Vista completely, and I hope at some time to get Mac OS running on a PC, which is possible, by all accounts, but I'm yet to give it a try. I also connect via a BT Voyager 105. Not bad for a modem, but there are also countless thousands of people still using Sagem or Speedtouch modems, the kind that used to be given away by the likes of Tiscali and Virgin Media.at the end of the day %80 of people get the nastys by falling victim to spoof links, downloads, or infected P2P files. or from dodgy websites.the firewall isnt the most important part of their protection setup, and the 2 provided by the OS and router are generally fine.
ok ok, look i do explain why a customer needs a modem router and what they are, i was just generalising, avoiding unneccesarily stating the obvious - i assumed youd just know i was referring to a modem router which of course contains a hardware firewall as part of the router. the modem can be seperate if they happen to have a non usb modem, then i will sell them a standalone router if they want wifi or switching.Which doesn't say a lot for customers, or for your company's policy, for not explaining the difference.That's four different sources for a start. Traditionally, firewalls were more effective at blocking trojans and the like, but nowadays of course there's a crossover. The Vista/router firewall combination may be fine for people running Vista and connecting via a router, but not for people with neither. Me for instance, I run XP Pro and will continue to do so for as long as possible. My current intention is to avoid Vista completely, and I hope at some time to get Mac OS running on a PC, which is possible, by all accounts, but I'm yet to give it a try. I also connect via a BT Voyager 105. Not bad for a modem, but there are also countless thousands of people still using Sagem or Speedtouch modems, the kind that used to be given away by the likes of Tiscali and Virgin Media.
What I'm saying is, that your response may be fine for your customers buying a new, suitably equipped PC, but otherwise you will often have to look a little further for the answers.
A modem router? Hmmm I really think you need to differentiate. Still, whatever you call it, it's a definite step up from selling machines with either Norton or McAfee pre-installed, both of which should carry health warnings. I've heard that Norton 2009 is less bloated and faster than previous versions - but I'll believe that if and when I see it.ok ok, look i do explain why a customer needs a modem router and what they are, i was just generalising, avoiding unneccesarily stating the obvious - i assumed youd just know i was referring to a modem router which of course contains a hardware firewall as part of the router. the modem can be seperate if they happen to have a non usb modem, then i will sell them a standalone router if they want wifi or switching. as for the firewall, for the most part you cant stop someone physically downloading and running a spoof file or being phished into some link somewhere, thats user error.
the firewall stops potential unwanted accesses either from within or without, but they do not have a large definition file as software does which will block the lions share of everyday nasties which a customer will get. since they will have an OS+router firewall setup, and Norton,McAffee and Kaspersky which we sell have packages which have firewalls, that is suitable for the price a customer wants to pay and the amount of hassle they want and the amount of knowlege which they have in order to live with a firewall.
for a lot of people a purchased firewall will hamper their life because they dont understand it and creates more problems than it would solve in a year of protection.
and im not arguing either we both know the importance of security, but theres horses for courses, innit![]()
When you point out the May being a good suggestion then I'd say Linux is the even better choice. I have no virus scan on my linux system, even not a high-end-password a la "$JKDTdcjdk()?(§J (<--- the safe secure password of the modern b-net user shall look like this I've read in a tutorial) and in my nearly 8 years with Linux I've never encountered a problem with a virus. Now the local government here even uses it. I guess not because of the security reallyWay behind on this one :lol: but being serious the best answer (if you can afford it) is get a Mac.