bands you have seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just remembered I saw Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon at Scamps in Sutton in the early 70's - or was it Jimmy James & The Vagabonds? Went on quite a pub crawl before hitting Scamps, so the memory is very vague.

I also saw quite a few bands at the Greyhound in Croydon, but they were very pissy arsed nights indeed. I kinda remember seeing The Groundhogs, and Thin Lizzy before they were well known, but most of the rest is just a drunken haze.

I regret not going to far more gigs than I did, especially in the 70's. Trouble was, I was on piss poor wages most of the time back then, and I needed my money for essentials like Chelsea away games and beer (and any fines thus incurred). I also preferred to spend my money on albums that I could listen to over and over again, rather than blow it all on a concert. One other factor was that I tended to intensely dislike the majority of tossers who were at most gigs, left-wing art student types who clearly deserved a good kicking :P

 
No Alzheimers in your family then Lauren. I think we're around the same age and I started to go to gigs around 69/70 and haven't stopped yet, but it would take me a year and a day to try to remember but I'll have a go when I have time. How long did it take you to compile your list?
about an hour

also seen Diana Ross - forgot her on my list

 
Hmm, let's see.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Led Zeppelin

Beastie Boys

Run DMC

NWA

Limp Bizkit

Bob Dylan

Bruce Springsteen

Steely Dan

Steve Miller Band

Pat Benatar

Heart

Journey

Kid Rock

Joni Mitchell

Houdini

REM

Fleetwood Mac

Natalie Merchant

kd lang

Rolling Stones (at RFK Stadium)

Luciano Pavarotti

Tori Amos

Santana

The best was the Beastie Boys.

The worst was Bruce Springsteen and Tori Amos.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...just remembered I saw Jose Gonzales at the local club before he had made his international breakthrough. I remember I wasn't too impressed back then and I haven't heard anything from him to change my opinion. I also just remembered I've seen Weeping Willows twice for some reason. I remember I wasn't too impressed when I first saw them. That was at a festival when they had just released their first album. I know they never became huge, but they did have some minor success later on and I think that's why I checked them out again to see what the buzz was about. I guess they must've been playing at my local club and I guess the tickets must have been pretty cheap. I remember I wasn't too impressed when I saw them the second time. Talking of Swedish bands...just remembered I saw Bombshell Rocks around 2001-2003 or something along those lines. I think they went on to support Blink 182 on some tour and as far as I remember, they probably were better than Blink 182. Also, I've seen Liberator a few times now that they've made their comeback...they're always a fun band to see live. Also...just remembered a load of Finnish bands that I've seen, but there's no point in me listing them as it's very unlikely that you've heard of them.

 
I won't be able to remember every band I've seen, as I've been to too many random festivals, but:

Rush (the best band I've ever seen or ever will see live - absolutely phenomenal)

Garbage

Patti Smith

Head>fake

The Enid

Foo Fighters

Motorhead

Queens of the Stone Age

Angels and Airwaves (unfortunately - they got booed off by all us Motorhead fans)

Juliette and the Licks

*shels

Bossk

Latitudes

Thin Lizzy tribute

Metallica tribute

I've seen many more, but this is all I can remember at this point.

Bear in mind that everyone else was fortunate to be born into an era when the music of the time was still good!

 
Bear in mind that everyone else was fortunate to be born into an era when the music of the time was still good!
There's still a lot of good music being made, it's just that the music scenes are just so fragmented that the good stuff rarely makes it into the mainstream. :JC_doubleup:

 
Used to go to a lot more concerts and festivals before I became a father.

Have seen so many known and unknown bands that they're to many to list.

The highlights are:

Wolfmother

Big Bang

Dimmu Borgir - don't normally listen to black metal, but they played on a festival in my hometown.

Pink Floyd - at Valle Hovin Oslo, was only 15 at the time but this is the best ever.

Burce Springsteen

Tool

Marilyn Manson

Depeche Mode

Rage Aganist The Machine

Pearl Jam

Iron Maiden - twice

AC/DC

The Ark

Bare Egil Band - one funny norwegian man

Ikke bare bare Egil Band - the funny norwegian's second band

Black Debbath - Norway's answer to Black Sabbath

Turboneger

AHA

DIO

 
When did you see them? Before or after the comeback? I heard they were an amazing live band around the time they released Apocalypse Dudes.
Just remembered - I saw Explosions in the Sky supporting Four Tet in 2005. It was the first and only time I've ever been to a gig just to see the support. EITS were brilliant, but Four Tet was just some guy playing records, and I walked out.

 
Just remembered - I saw Explosions in the Sky supporting Four Tet in 2005. It was the first and only time I've ever been to a gig just to see the support. EITS were brilliant, but Four Tet was just some guy playing records, and I walked out.
Talking of Four Tet, we were supposed to go see them at the local club around 2004 or 2005 because a friend of a friend was going to see them and we decided to check out what all the hype was about. Most of us didn't have a ticket and we had to wait in line in front of the club and the gig was sold out literally right before our eyes. We were the first in the ticket queue that didn't get in. Oh well, we went to another club where the DJ played great music and we had a fun night. I heard the gig was a disappointment. :lol:

 
When did you see them? Before or after the comeback? I heard they were an amazing live band around the time they released Apocalypse Dudes.
The missus and I saw them before the comeback. Before Hank von Helvete suddenly realized he was a born again christian and gave up drugs.

They had a really good stage show, but nowadays Hank plays the lead role in Jesus Christ Superstar and is far from the rebel and entertainer he once was :lol:

 
Talking of Four Tet, we were supposed to go see them at the local club around 2004 or 2005 because a friend of a friend was going to see them and we decided to check out what all the hype was about. Most of us didn't have a ticket and we had to wait in line in front of the club and the gig was sold out literally right before our eyes. We were the first in the ticket queue that didn't get in. Oh well, we went to another club where the DJ played great music and we had a fun night. I heard the gig was a disappointment. :lol:
The place was packed when we went, and 99% were there to see Four Tet. My mate and I were 20 years older than the next oldest person there, so maybe under 25s are happy to go to a gig when what happens is a guy stands/ dances behind a double turntable scratching some records. The place was jumping when he came on, but I was clearly from the wrong era to 'get' what was going on. If I went to see, say, Paul Weller and he stood there playing his old vinyl Jam LPs I would feel a bit short-changed.

 
If I went to see, say, Paul Weller and he stood there playing his old vinyl Jam LPs I would feel a bit short-changed.
I think I'd rather pay to see Weller play Jam LPs than to go see a Four Tet gig. :lol:

 
Frankie Millers Full House

Thin Lizzy(3 times,after one show I got Lynotts and Downeys autographs in the Europa Hotel in Belfast)

Springsteen

U2

Bob Dylan

Neil Diamond

Eagles(2 times both in Dublin,first time they were awesome,second time 5 yrs later, boring)

Santana

BoomTown Rats.

Billy Joel

James Taylor

Elton John

Boyzone(its was my daughters birthday,honest guv.)

John Denver

Red Hot Chillies

Foo Fighters

Queen

REM(brilliant)

Chris Rea

Im sure theres more.

 
I hate you. :o
My mate and myself had tickets for the show in the Ulster Hall(for any Led Zep fanatics the first place Stairway to Heaven was ever played live to any audience)we decided to go to the hotel first rather than wait for the band after the show.I thought this was a completeley stupid idea but my mate Eamon insisted, get them fresh when they are leaving for the gig.We stood for 25 mins in the foyer of the most bombed hotel in Europe,cursing our luck because our 3 other mates had left hours ago after loads of pints.Holy sh*t the lift doors opened,Robertson and Gorham walked out and completeley ignored us,Downey and Lynott followed,stopped chatted and signed our little books.Phil was as high as a kite,but a true gent.What a concert.Just one footnote to all this,my mate Eamon was killed last Sept 08,I hadnt had much contact with him in the years between,but his wife showed me the little book with the auograph in it at his wake.(an irish thing were we all sit round and remember the corpse while getting pissed),I dont think I have ever cried as much over anything.Its most likely the best show I ever was at,its New Years Eve and I still remember the concert and him like it was this yesterrday.Its great to be still alive folks,happy New year to you all.Regards Dave

 
red hot chillies, i forgot about them. saw them in manchester when they were opened by the James Brown, superb gig.

 
Buckle up for my amazing list:

Billy Joel

The Nylons

Does King's College Choir count?

 
If they do, then I'm adding Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson to my list, seen him about four times and he's brilliant! :D
Saw him at the Fairfield Halls Croydon, I can't believe I actually like him as I'm always saying I don't like Comedians who use vulgarity to get a laugh but somehow he does it well.

If you need any of his Albums Steve let me know.

I had a tape of his in my Car when I was playing Darts in the 80s and went to an away game at Kingston, the governer of the Eagle at Croydon was in the Car and when we got back he turned the Jukebox off in the Pub and had the liitle bloke blareing out...should of seen a few of the punters faces..Happy Days

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top