Best Albums of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maksimov

Like eagles on pogo sticks!
Messages
14,416
Reaction score
614
Yes it's one of those "end of the year" list threads, but I love reading them because so often there's some good album I haven't heard yet and find out about it because someone recommended it on a thread like this.

Do a top-10, top-20 or whatever you want. Post youtube links, opinions... etc. I want to find those gems I've yet to hear this year. I'll have to think about my own list for a moment or two, but I figured I'd start the thread now.

 
Here's a few I liked this year, there's only four because most of the music that was new to me this year has been around for quite a while.

1. Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben

I love the BJM. This is probably my favourite song from the album even though it kind of sounds half-finished.





 
This is my favourite - and I thank G4 Squared for introducing me to it


 
This is my favourite - and I thank G4 Squared for introducing me to it


I have to take this opportunity to thank you, Moi. I believe it was you who mentioned Father John Misty in another thread a while ago and I became a bit curious about him, so I got hold of one of his albums - the one you posted here actually - and loved it. Been listening to it over and over again.

Since I'm cheap I'm trying to find more of his albums "in a less legal way", but haven't had much luck. Won't give up though. Need more of Father John Misty (or J. Tillman).

 
I won't put these in any particular order other the order that they pop into my mind.

  • Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth  - Not a great album by his own standards, but still some decent tunes, Jimmy sounds great and the production is nicely on the retro side without sounding like a pastiche. Good cover version picks, especially "Guns of Brixton". The whole meta aspect of Jimmy/Ivan singing a song that references Ivan/Harder They Come. 



---

Hmmm... Reading back those blurbs, I get the feeling I've forgotten quite a few. I must come back and post them when I remember them. :happy001:

 
Here's what I've listened to the most this year, no order:

Frank Ocean  Channel Orange
Reptar  Body Faucet
Tanlines  Mixed Emotions
Dan Deacon  America
Jack White  Blunderbuss
Father John Misty  Fear Fun
Beach House  Bloom
Hot Chip  In Our Heads

Divine Fits  A Thing Called Divine Fits

Tame Impala Lonerism

Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City

Flying Lotus  Until the Quiet Comes

Grimes  Visions

Honorable mention to some hip-hop albums that I didn't get enough chances to listen to but still enjoyed: EL-P  Cancer for Cure, Killer Mike  R.A.P. Music, Childish Gambino  Royalty (Mixtape), Action Bronson  Blue Chips.

I'm making my top songs of the year list for a facebook group I belong to, I'll post a version of that in here soon.  

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This was difficult, but here’s ten albums I play a lot could easily add another ten

Bat For Lashes                    The Haunted Man

Julia Holter                          Ekstasis

2:54                                     2:54

Exitmusic                            Passage

Rachel Zeffira                     The Deserters

Andrew Bird                       Break It Yourself

Calexico                               Algiers

Cold speck                           I Predict a Graceful Expulsion

Polica                                   Give You The Ghost

Susanne Sundførs              Silicone Veil

Special mention for the Savages EP - I Am Here – Album coming next year

 
Well, here's one I forgot to mention:

  • Pää Kii - Pää Kii - They definitely haven't invented anything new here, but the songs are just so catchy and infectious, I'd be willing to say it's the best "punk"(I can't think of a better term for it) album I've heard since Black Lips' "Arabia Mountain". Interesting coincidence, because they both share that fondness for bad taste, but in a way that's not off putting. The album starts off with an introduction by John Waters, which sets the mood perfectly for what's in store during the next 30 minutes (or so). Political correctness is not a theme here. Here's the first song from the album, which includes the John Waters introduction, which is in English, although the album lyrics are in Finnish. Well, anyway... Here we go:
http://youtu.be/nutVEr-xJfQ

 
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Americana - Neil Young

 
Overall I thought 2012 was a pretty poor year for music after the last few years.

If i had to pick one, i'd go for Lex Hives by The Hives

Evolution of Man by Example was also a pretty good album

 
My favourite album of 2012 is a compilation -  Psychemagic presents Magik Cyrkles.

Seriously cool music but a bit off the beaten track and not to everyones taste.

 
I must be getting old I have never heard of any of the above apart form Jack White, anyway my two stand outs from 2012 :

Leaving Eden - Carolina Chocolate Drops

Tempest - Bob Dylan

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top