Best/Favourite live album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good albums here for sure.

I would have to add S&M by Metallica. The greatest ever metal band playing a best of set, accompanied by a full orchestra. It is absolutely stunning, and the fact that every note is played live is mind blowing. Goosebumps moments in pretty much every song.

Going to see them tomorrow at the 02 (without orchestra) as it happens, and I can't wait.

 
Some good albums here for sure.I would have to add S&M by Metallica. The greatest ever metal band playing a best of set, accompanied by a full orchestra. It is absolutely stunning, and the fact that every note is played live is mind blowing. Goosebumps moments in pretty much every song.

Going to see them tomorrow at the 02 (without orchestra) as it happens, and I can't wait.
I'm not a big fan of Metallica (after Napster and the crap album they made recently) but that was a great performance, it was weird though seing the people from the symphony dressed in bow ties...and people "head-banging" in the crowd.

 
I'm not a big fan of Metallica either, although I did listen to them during my brief heavy metal phase in my early teens, but I think the S/M Metallica is one of the pointless experiments I've heard in metal music. On most of the songs I've heard from it the symphony orchestra adds very little to the songs or is just completely drowned out by Metallica's instruments. I'm not sure if the problem is the mixing or arrangements, but it certainly is quite disappointing.

 
Saw ZZ Top live absolutley superb, do they count as heavy metal?
Here's an interesting quote on the subject of what exactly constitutes "heavy":

You only had to see pictures of Pentangle back in the day to know why people like Led Zeppelin thought they were so cool. I remember asking Bert, when you were doing it, did you know that you were like... heavy? Heavier than all those bands that were heavy? He nodded this thoroughly appropriate nod and handed me a biscuit - as if to say "Yes, and I'm too heavy to even talk about it".
That was Johnny Marr of The Smiths talking about a conversation he had with Bert Jansch of Pentangle a few years ago, taken from the 60 page booklet included with The Time Has Come by Pentangle, a 4-CD box set. Which happens to include another absolutely classic live album. Live at The Royal Festival Hall, June 29 1968, which is in turn an expanded version of the live half of their Sweet Child album.

Pentangle: jazz, folk, blues and a lot more besides, totally unique and unclassifiable. It's the old cliche about the sum of the parts being greater than the whole Wonderful music.

 
i know that Bluebeard included them, but Lynyrd Skynyrd back in the day were fantastic.

There is a movie, called Free Bird, of them playing at the 1976 Knebworth (?) festival in England (they played before the Stones), and that is just fantastic.

There is nothing better than Southern Rock, at least from 20 to 30 years ago.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
That festival had THE ULTIMATE FREE BIRD.

It was voted as the video/film/track to end Live Aid after the 24 hours thing. I didn't stay up but did set a video (go look it up, all you young folks!) to record it.

A couple of days later my lovely darling sweet-assed cute little wife needed to record Coronation Street, so guess which tape she used?

Kev (not bitter at all after all these years!)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top