barak81
First Team Regular
- Messages
- 6,553
- Reaction score
- 808
Was watching a Roberto Baggio highlights video today and of course remembered that penalty, and got to thinking who are the best players never to have won a world cup.
There are probably lots of great great players that never even came close, george weah of the top of my head, and shcmicale, for me the the best goal keeper of all time but in all honesty they where never going to get that close giving their respective countrys, so I'm thinking of players who play for teams that should have been there or there about's come the semi final/ final stage.
for me the ones that stand out are:
Roberto (as mentioned)
Gullit & Van Bastan from that dutch out fit that had won the 88 euro's only two years prior.
Begkamp in 98 was top two best players in the world at that point in my opinion.
I'd include Gaza as i genuinely believe that if England went through against West Germany they beat Argentina in the final
Paulo Maldini - should have been involved in 2006
A bit before my time you would have to include Platini and Cruyf
And I'm pretty sure that Messi will be added to that list in years to come.
I wouldn't be inclined to include Ronaldo because he hasn't really had the team around him that would make you think Portugal are a force.
Any others?
There are probably lots of great great players that never even came close, george weah of the top of my head, and shcmicale, for me the the best goal keeper of all time but in all honesty they where never going to get that close giving their respective countrys, so I'm thinking of players who play for teams that should have been there or there about's come the semi final/ final stage.
for me the ones that stand out are:
Roberto (as mentioned)
Gullit & Van Bastan from that dutch out fit that had won the 88 euro's only two years prior.
Begkamp in 98 was top two best players in the world at that point in my opinion.
I'd include Gaza as i genuinely believe that if England went through against West Germany they beat Argentina in the final
Paulo Maldini - should have been involved in 2006
A bit before my time you would have to include Platini and Cruyf
And I'm pretty sure that Messi will be added to that list in years to come.
I wouldn't be inclined to include Ronaldo because he hasn't really had the team around him that would make you think Portugal are a force.
Any others?