captain gerrard avoiding press conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

He didn't play badly, everyone around him made him look bad.

 
I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

He didn't play badly, everyone around him made him look bad.
Its amazing how often that happens to gerrard, he's been so unlucky.
 
Just purely as a captain, I've never understood why people seem to think Gerrard is good at the role.

I don't understand this "lead by example" nonsense, surely all players should be doing their best to play well anyway?

When you look at captains like Terry, Tony Adams, Roy Keane, Puyol etc you are forever seeing them speaking to their team, organising and encouraging.

All I ever see Gerrard do is smack the ball 60 yards into touch and then claps his hands a bit. 
Exactly. That group huddle where he gave his "this does not slip" speech when the cameras just happened to be on him was cringeworthy and self-indulgent.

I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

He didn't play badly, everyone around him made him look bad.
Says his best performance was against Andorra. Talk about damning with faint praise!

 
I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

He didn't play badly, everyone around him made him look bad.
What website/paper?

Exactly. That group huddle where he gave his "this does not slip" speech when the cameras just happened to be on him was cringeworthy and self-indulgent.
The last time someone gave a talk on the pitch was Phil Brown... And everyone thought he was a knob as well.  

 
^ Martin Samuel in the Mail
Just read it and nowhere in the article does Samuel address his own headline as why exactly "England failed Steven Gerrard and turned one of the greatest players of his generation into mediocrity on national duty"

 
After saying he's had some great games for Liverpool he addresses his international performances:
 
Now do the same with Gerrard and England. Several of those who have seen each one of his 113 appearances tried it yesterday. There was a consensus on Andorra away in 2007 under Steve McClaren. And not a whole lot else.

He was very good when England beat Germany 5-1 in Munich, but so were a lot of players.
 
There was a friendly against Hungary immediately after the 2010 World Cup, when he stopped the Fabio Capello backlash reaching its shrill crescendo.
 
And he was most consistent in the qualifying campaign for the 2010 World Cup, albeit in a starting position on the left, which he hated.
 
So he acknowledges that in over 100 games there basically isn't a stand out performance.... So I'm thinking he's going to explain why England haven't got the best out of him.

All we get however is:

Looking back on Gerrard’s international career, it would appear the England machine has failed even that simple challenge. It has taken one of the greatest England footballers of this, or any, generation, one of the most talented players in the world, the midfielder Luis Suarez says is the greatest he has played with, and somehow reduced him to mediocrity

So why is it England's fault that Gerrard doesn't perform at international level? I was reading the other day someone saying that during his best spell for Liverpool was when he had Xabi Alonso pulling the strings from the middle and Gerrard played just behind an in form Torres.

So when playing for England and the burden of the midfield is on him, he's not able to cope. 

The old Gerrard and Lampard can't play together argument is sure to surface but Gerrard has had plenty of games without Frank in starting line up and he's still not lived up to the hype.. I would say England have done a lot more to try and accommodate Gerrard than they have Frank, especially since Hodgson came in, yet we've completely failed in the last tow finals in which Gerrard has been captain.

At what point does the buck stop with Gerrard and you just say he's not playing well enough to warrant a guaranteed starting place in the England side that the captaincy brings?   

 
Just read it and nowhere in the article does Samuel address his own headline as why exactly "England failed Steven Gerrard and turned one of the greatest players of his generation into mediocrity on national duty"
Martin Samuel isn't exactly the most (nor is he the least) credible football writer out there but in his defence the headlines are often picked by the editors rather than the writers themselves.

Other than that I completely agree with you though, I think Gerrard is a scrub and nowhere near worthy of the England captaincy. After years of mediocrity I'm delighted to finally see him bear the brunt of the criticism when it was usually reserved for somebody less deserving.

 
Martin Samuel isn't exactly the most (nor is he the least) credible football writer out there but in his defence the headlines are often picked by the editors rather than the writers themselves.

Other than that I completely agree with you though, I think Gerrard is a scrub and nowhere near worthy of the England captaincy. After years of mediocrity I'm delighted to finally see him bear the brunt of the criticism when it was usually reserved for somebody less deserving.
I know Samuel won't necessarily of wrote the headline but I still don't understand the point he is trying to make in his article.

Is he blaming Gerrard for not replicating his Liverpool form for the national team?

Is it England's tactics? Although having played for about 5 different national team managers now you would think that an array for formations and tactics have been used. 

It just seems to be a dull observation that Gerrard's not had many good England games but no thoughts or analyse on why. 

Or am I missing something? 

 
I think before we slate Gerrard too much, we need to compare his performance to Lampard's tomorrow, though. 

 
I think before we slate Gerrard too much, we need to compare his performance to Lampard's tomorrow, though.
Not if you think Lampard is past it and shouldn't be in the squad.

This is the problem with the English mindset; we are always trying to make it a club debate.

I'm viewing Gerrard from the perspective of an England fan and I see somebody not good enough for the starting XI, somebody who has rarely performed and a coward of a captain.

 
Where the hell has Gerrard been since we lost to Uruguay ? I have heard from other players and the manager but this guy has been silent, some f**king captain he is.

He should be the first to speak but he goes silent. I can't wait until this guy retires, i am sick of the praise he gets for doing pretty much piss all for England over the years. This guy has been labelled as one of the best midfielders in the world for years now and he has never been consistent for England, out of all of the so called golden generation, he's the biggest failure of the lot in my opinion.

 
Its OK we've just had a 10 minute interview with him telling us he's not selfish.

 
Commentator just reminding us that we're out because our CB's did not predict Gerrard is f**king sh*te !!

 
Heard that, its unbelievable isn't it. Just can't bring themselves to blame Gerrard at all.

 
Commentator just reminding us that we're out because our CB's did not predict Gerrard is f**king sh*te !!
To be fair, it should have been obvious that Captain Marvel was going to head the ball backwards over their heads right into the path of Suarez. Have they not watched his highlight reel of game-changing cock ups?

 
f**k off Stevie g

The worst England captain in history

Your not that good and your slow on the ball

Won't be long when your on the dole

 
So as Gerrard has not win any league titles, does that mean the man has no history?

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top