Chelsea v Wrexham, (pre-season), Thurs 25th July 24, 03:00 GMT

Is it just me that would rather see Reece James storming up the flank putting in wicked crosses, cutting in to unleash his hammer of a shot, rather than recycling the ball in midfield?


I think Reece needs to be employed in a capacity where he can use his defensive and attacking skills - he's a complete footballer so to only utilise part of his skillset won't be making full use of him as a player. Hopefully as things progress we'll see that develop.
The problem is that over recent years he's been made of biscuits. Whatever we do, we need to maximise his productivity on the pitch. There is no point in playing him in a position that gives us the utmost best of him, but we only get 10 games a year out of him. I would rather compromise and get a really good and effective Reece James that is available and competing for 30-40 games this season.

 
The problem is that over recent years he's been made of biscuits. Whatever we do, we need to maximise his productivity on the pitch. There is no point in playing him in a position that gives us the utmost best of him, but we only get 10 games a year out of him. I would rather compromise and get a really good and effective Reece James that is available and competing for 30-40 games this season.
Aye good point.

He can play the inverted role extremely well. Remember he played midfield for Wigan and he had an incredible season - their fans were absolutely raving about him.

 
The problem is that over recent years he's been made of biscuits. Whatever we do, we need to maximise his productivity on the pitch. There is no point in playing him in a position that gives us the utmost best of him, but we only get 10 games a year out of him. I would rather compromise and get a really good and effective Reece James that is available and competing for 30-40 games this season.
He's got a rocket of a shot on him getting onto balls from the left.

Hopefully we'll see some of that again this season.

 
Aye good point.

He can play the inverted role extremely well. Remember he played midfield for Wigan and he had an incredible season - their fans were absolutely raving about him.
I think he has natural strength and a solid core. Somebody posted somewhere on one of the platforms that Caicedo played RB successfully at Brighton. Then with inverting to a customary DM role it means one player playing two roles that he is familiar with. Reece could then play more of a roving 8, allowing him to move forward when needed and filling space from reading the game rather than just shuttle runs up and down the wing.

Probably not the answer but I thought it was a proposition that had some merit about. Certainly one the Maresca could consider at some point.

 
9 hours ago, Mod said:


😴😴😴😴

I only watch for 10 min and it was so bad. 

Forget about offense, we struggled to do any ball progression against wrexham

 
  • Like
Reactions: Mod
😴😴😴😴

I only watch for 10 min and it was so bad. 

Forget about offense, we struggled to do any ball progression against wrexham
That is what I tried to say. It was hopeless. I think it's because everyone was standing still and the passes were all telegraphed but maybe there is some other reason. Reminded me of my over 45s

 
  • Haha
Reactions: Mod
That is what I tried to say. It was hopeless. I think it's because everyone was standing still and the passes were all telegraphed but maybe there is some other reason. Reminded me of my over 45s
It is very bad.

It is almost like watching chess. Everyone in their "position", very little movement. The 10 and winger keep receiving the ball with player on their back,so they can't turn and get the ball forward. Ball back to cb and 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't feel good ,I reckon the season will just add to my feeling that we're a busted flush...oh I hope not

 
Back
Top