Chelsea vs Arsenal (PL) Sunday 30th November 16:30 GMT

The fact we pushed through after the sending off, is the big revolution under Maresca for me, last season we succumb to them and use it as the excuse (and rightly so). The issues are still there with him, but you’ve gotta give credit where it’s due.

Confused to any criticism for Palmer not coming on, as removing Neto, who offers far better defensive work rate and discipline would have been a risky move, say what you want about him but the guy is relentless. It’s been said, but we win this game with 11, the game state was there, it was the old Chelsea spirit; fresh from the Barca win.. Caicedo just had to ruin it all. Reece James with an all-time performance.

 
Didn’t see the match, but disappointed we didn’t win considering both Gabriel+Saliba were out. Fully expecting them to batter us again at the Emirates.

Still a mental block against both City and d Arsenal.
If it's any consolation, we were the better team, even with 10 men.

 
Above the ankle. Knew it would be a red card the moment I saw the first replay. Don't think I've seen a tackle like that not get a red since VAR was introduced.

It's unlucky because before VAR that doesn't get given. But it is above the ankle, it's hard, and I'd say there a fairly high % chance that ends up with Merino out of action with a broken ankle.
We have already this season. At Spurs. Identical tackle by Bentacur on James. Var did not want to send him off.

 
We have already this season. At Spurs. Identical tackle by Bentacur on James. Var did not want to send him off.
Being completely fair I wouldn't call that identical.

 
Being completely fair I wouldn't call that identical.
Just had look at that tackle and whilst being not exactly the same its very similar and if todays is a red

then so is that .Taylor probs wouldn't have even given a foul

 
Being completely fair I wouldn't call that identical.
I would for the reasons given for the red, it was exactly what Bentancour did to Reece.

"Excessive force and endangered the safety of the player"

 
Just had look at that tackle and whilst being not exactly the same its very similar and if todays is a red

then so is that .Taylor probs wouldn't have even given a foul
I would for the reasons given for the red, it was exactly what Bentancour did to Reece.

"Excessive force and endangered the safety of the player"
I think bentacour could have no complaints if it was a red. I just don't see the amount of force as being comparable.

And whilst I don't want to defend Taylor. He didn't give a red card, the VAR did.

 
As usual met those I go to the games in the pub before the match for a meal, few pints and a good chat. With all that's going on in our lives football is a distraction. Also puts football into perspective.

An absolute farce getting into the ground yesterday. My ST is in the MHU. I usually turn up about 20 minutes kick-off to give myself plenty of time to get in but f**k knows what was going on yesterday. Not helped by people going to the wrong entrances. Bloody tourists. Sounds like a good title for an album. Stewards weren't very good. Will be contacting the club later. Rant over.

As for the game itself I thought we played really well. Thought James was superb was excellent and worked really hard. Sanchez did really well and commanded the penalty box which is what defenders want. All in all a very good team performance and given we were playing with ten men for about fifty-five minutes was excellent. If Arsenal had won the game it would have been wrong. I haven't seen much of Arsenal this season but I wasn't that impressed with them or did we just nullify them. Probably a bit of both. As for the sending off I'm in two minds. Definitely a foul but I'm not sure it was a red card. As for Taylor, what a numpty. How on earth is a ref is beyond me.

As an aside I didn't take a hip flask of whisky into the ground as it wasn't that cold. Maybe next time.

WATP.

 
I think bentacour could have no complaints if it was a red. I just don't see the amount of force as being comparable.

And whilst I don't want to defend Taylor. He didn't give a red card, the VAR did.
Not true. He gave it after viewing the monitor. In the Villa-Wolves game yesterday, Kavanagh was advised to review an alleged two-footed tackle. After watching the footage, he decided it was reckless but not dangerous, and didn't send him off. Taylor decided yesterday Caicedo's was both, which it clearly was. It was only fractionally late, but it still warranted a red. The VAR can't issue the card. But I suppose you mean that, without VAR intervening, Taylor was happy with just a yellow, so in that sense you're right.

Someone made the point yesterday about Gyokeres' challenge on Sanchez near the end. He was also fractionally late but caught Sanchez in a potentially dangerous fashion, and you can argue going for a ball with your boots when you know the keeper's head is vulnerable is extremely reckless. But there was no talk of a red for that.

 
As usual met those I go to the games in the pub before the match for a meal, few pints and a good chat. With all that's going on in our lives football is a distraction. Also puts football into perspective.

An absolute farce getting into the ground yesterday. My ST is in the MHU. I usually turn up about 20 minutes kick-off to give myself plenty of time to get in but f**k knows what was going on yesterday. Not helped by people going to the wrong entrances. Bloody tourists. Sounds like a good title for an album. Stewards weren't very good. Will be contacting the club later. Rant over.

As for the game itself I thought we played really well. Thought James was superb was excellent and worked really hard. Sanchez did really well and commanded the penalty box which is what defenders want. All in all a very good team performance and given we were playing with ten men for about fifty-five minutes was excellent. If Arsenal had won the game it would have been wrong. I haven't seen much of Arsenal this season but I wasn't that impressed with them or did we just nullify them. Probably a bit of both. As for the sending off I'm in two minds. Definitely a foul but I'm not sure it was a red card. As for Taylor, what a numpty. How on earth is a ref is beyond me.

As an aside I didn't take a hip flask of whisky into the ground as it wasn't that cold. Maybe next time.

WATP.
Good shout about getting into the ground. On Tuesday, I got to the MHL about 15 minutes before kick off and got inside te stadium after the game had started. Yesterday, I was seating in the MHU and got there about 25 minutes before ko and I only got to the seat just before it started. I don't remember taking so long to get into the stadium a few seasons ago.

 
Don't think anyone can really argue the red card. It was a red all day long but as usual it's the inconsistences but unfortunately they will always happen.

Think the annoying thing is, without the red card, we could well have got the 3 points as the chances are, Estevao would have stayed on and Maresca might have even thrown Palmer on for 15-20 minutes.

But we are moving in the right direction and must be looking at top 3.

 
Would love to know what Palmer and Rice said to each other. Hopefully something along these lines: " You may be good Rice but not yet up to my level.:FB_IMG_1764588695469.jpg

 
Arsenal fans moaning about Anthony Taylor over on AFTV !!

I must admit though, I too was surprised at only 4 minutes added on at the end ..

 
Morning after and the disappointment is stronger.

Regardless of the circumstances during the game beforehand we needed to win and they did not. They got the result that works for them, we blew a big chance to put ourselves in the race and end this 7 year hoodoo.

 
Morning after and the disappointment is stronger.

Regardless of the circumstances during the game beforehand we needed to win and they did not. They got the result that works for them, we blew a big chance to put ourselves in the race and end this 7 year hoodoo.
1/10 on the positivity-ometer.

 
Back
Top