Been over this before but I often wonder why people think we hsve a lot of talent in our squad. I really dont think we do. Certainly not enough to be a top four team and that is in a season where a lot of teams are under performing.
If you categorise our squad in terms of being Premier league team so categories are First Class, First Team Standard, Squad Rotation, Back Up, or Lower League then I would have something like (and I include potential as well as current ability
First Class - Palmer, Caciedo and James
First Team - Cucurella, Acheampong, Esteveao, Sanchez, Lavia
Rotation - Neto, Fofana, Santos
Back Up - Colwill, Gusto, Mudryk, Enzo, Delap, Pedro, Jackson, Chalobah
Lower League - Jorgensen, Tosin, Garnacho, Badiashille, Gittens, George' Sterling, Guiu
Probably missed a few
Looking at that it's quite clear what a bang average squad it is for a team supposedly with top four aspirations. Only three players that are of genuine high class. And of the 5 first team ones three are really there based on potential rather than current contribution and the keeper we know will f**k up again.
Meanwhile we have about 6 players getting regular playing time who are either squad fillers or shouldn't even be playing in this league.