Computer geniuses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruh Buh Juh

First Team Regular
Messages
5,288
Reaction score
24
I have no idea why, but for some reason my memory stick has started playing up on me. Everytime I try and open it on my desktop, I get the message in the picture.

And what really baffles me is that I tried the stick on my mum's laptop, and it worked perfectly...

Any ideas?

/monthly_09_2009/post-2109-1252426668_thumb.jpg

 

Attachments

  • Computer_issue.JPG
    Computer_issue.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 0
At a guess it could be a corrupt windows file somewhere not seeing the stick, though for some reason it is looking at your DVD drive?

Oh and you might want to remove the porn tab you have open in the screenshot there :)

..
Made you look didn't it!
 
I have no idea why, but for some reason my memory stick has started playing up on me. Everytime I try and open it on my desktop, I get the message in the picture.And what really baffles me is that I tried the stick on my mum's laptop, and it worked perfectly...

Any ideas?
sounds like a virus or spyware to me. make sure you have spybot s&d, SUPERrantispyware, and your antivirus up to date. now reboot your pc into safe mode and run the 3 programmes.

 
Yea that m.exe looks a little suspect.

Edit: m.exe is a virus!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried other USB slots on your computer? I've had them play up on me before.

 
It's okay, Spybot got rid of it and it's working now :)

But to be safe, I think I'm going to get a new memory stick.

 
I also have an issue if someone can help.

The only protection i installed for my laptop was a free version of Mcafee from a reputable software site, which was the top recommended.

Everything was fine for approx 10 months, until very recently, when trying to run a daily virus scan, it stumbles upon a particular file on my hard drive, and falses the system to freeze, and reboot.

If i dont try to run the scan, it works fine, but obviously that is not something i wish to carry on doing!

My windows defender is stating that i have no issues, viruses etc?

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Many thanks in advance.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also have an issue if someone can help. The only protection i installed for my laptop was a free version of Mcafee from a reputable software site, which was the top recommended.

Everything was fine for approx 10 months, until very recently, when trying to run a daily virus scan, it stumbles upon a particular file on my hard drive, and falses the system to freeze, and reboot.

If i dont try to run the scan, it works fine, but obviously that is not something i wish to carry on doing!

My windows defender is stating that i have no issues, viruses etc?

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Many thanks in advance.
any idea which file it is that it hangs on? if i was you i would download a free antivirus like avgfree or avast and run them instead.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another one that I have used is MalwareBytes. It's free, and if you run a quick scan it'll find everything that could be a problem and then remove them. I was having problems with speed, and often losing internet connection. I've just ran this, and now it seems to be fine.

Also

on the.exe, I have Skype and it said that it wanted to use a Skypecontacts.exe, which I rejected. could this be something of concern?

 
DKW - It seems to hang on to a file within my 'Intel Matrix Manager', so possibly related to my processor?

Mad Mac - Windows Defender is essentially the same as an anti malware programme such as that, and i get exactly the same problem -> run a scan -> hit said file -> system crashes....

 
I'm not sure having never used it, but I think Intel Matrix Manager has to do with your drive configuration. If so, the problem could simply be that the program attempts to scan a file in use, in which case you need to exclude that file from the scan.

Or maybe another malware scanner, Spybot S&D for instance, would cope better with locked files. Come to think of it, I had problems with Windows Defender on Windows 7. MalwareBytes was fine though, as was Spybot S&D.

Similarly, I wouldn't recommend McAfee at all. It's very possible that it's McAfee that's causing the problems. NOD32 anti-virus, which is what I would recommend, has an inbuilt routine to deal with locked files. Or even a freebie like PC Tools AntiVirus, which compares very well with most paid-for anti-virus apps.

 
DKW - It seems to hang on to a file within my 'Intel Matrix Manager', so possibly related to my processor?Mad Mac - Windows Defender is essentially the same as an anti malware programme such as that, and i get exactly the same problem -> run a scan -> hit said file -> system crashes....
as lofty said thats to do with your hard drive and could either be caused by your antivirus trying to scan a file in use or coming across a bad sector. try booting into dos if you can and run scandisk. if your after a free programme just use avgfree or avast, there easily the best 2 out there.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top