David Webb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to work that one out - I think it's an insult! ;)
As if I'd insult you, moi!!!

Truth is, I've been trying to work that comment out myself, and still haven't come to a conclusion yet. I think a vital clue is the time that I made the post, 1:31am, and the fact that I had a killer of a hangover this morning :D

Maybe I took paranoid drunken umbrage at a totally unprovoked beardist comment, or maybe I was getting all protective of Giant Micky? I just had a look at the pic again, and I can see your point, it really is a sh*t beard, very wispy ;)

 
As if I'd insult you, moi!!!Truth is, I've been trying to work that comment out myself, and still haven't come to a conclusion yet. I think a vital clue is the time that I made the post, 1:31am, and the fact that I had a killer of a hangover this morning ;)

Maybe I took paranoid drunken umbrage at a totally unprovoked beardist comment, or maybe I was getting all protective of Giant Micky? I just had a look at the pic again, and I can see your point, it really is a sh*t beard, very wispy ;)
And it looks horribly scratchy, whereas yours looks soft and snuggly! :D

 
Yeah sorry about that.It was nothing to do with your sycophantic post. I'd just got home after downing 12 pints! But I'm ok now...
Whereabouts in France do they sell pints?

 
Agree totally - I'm still f*ckin' angry about the Cooper fight, definitely a fiddle. After that, Bugner's only contender was Jack Bodell, who would have had trouble beating Madame Cholet. Bugner was a big guy, but never did the business that he could have done. I heard rumours at the time that he'd killed someone in the ring previously, and that made him reluctant to use his full strength. Not sure if it's true, but so far as I'm concerned the only way he could have killed someone in the ring was by boring them to death.
One of Bugner's early opponents died of a brain injury a few days after their fight. It's understandable if he was gunshy after that.

Even so, I don't think he did so bad. He went the distance with Ali and Frazier (and at one point rocked Frazier to his boots) and not many people can say that. He also had a tough fight with Ron Lyle, who said you always needed your A game to beat Bugner, and did beat decent fighters like Jimmy Ellis, Greg Page, Chuck Wepner, Quick Tillis etc.

He had all the physical tools to be a top fighter, I just don't think his heart was ever really in it. After the second Ali fight, Micky Duff said that Bugner was only interested in the money, and he replied "yes, and being able to spend it", which says it all really. He only really went hell for leather when an opponent pissed him off before the fight. He and Richard Dunn really disliked each other for some reason, so Bugner came out and KO'd him in one round.

 
Whereabouts in France do they sell pints?
Not sure if that's a serious question, but if it is then you don't go out much. Lots of French pubs sell pints and even call a large beer "une pinte" Do you want specific examples of such pubs? If so I know plenty!

 
One of Bugner's early opponents died of a brain injury a few days after their fight. It's understandable if he was gunshy after that. Even so, I don't think he did so bad. He went the distance with Ali and Frazier (and at one point rocked Frazier to his boots) and not many people can say that. He also had a tough fight with Ron Lyle, who said you always needed your A game to beat Bugner, and did beat decent fighters like Jimmy Ellis, Greg Page, Chuck Wepner, Quick Tillis etc.

He had all the physical tools to be a top fighter, I just don't think his heart was ever really in it. After the second Ali fight, Micky Duff said that Bugner was only interested in the money, and he replied "yes, and being able to spend it", which says it all really. He only really went hell for leather when an opponent pissed him off before the fight. He and Richard Dunn really disliked each other for some reason, so Bugner came out and KO'd him in one round.
I agree that Bugner had a good record, and physically he looked one of the best out there. But there always seemed to be something missing, or something he was holding back. Was it after one of the Ali bouts that he was filmed swimming in the hotel pool immediately after the fight, clearly not having used up any energy during the fight?

I suppose I'll always be biased against Bugner since his fight with Henry Cooper. If ever there was a dodgy decision in boxing that was it, right up there with Clay/Liston. Possibly not Bugner's fault, but Cooper won that bout by a country mile, and Bugner never had the support of the British fighting fans after that decision.

Bugner beating Dunn in the first round wasn't really a surprise, I reckon my mate's budgie could have done the same :(

To be fair, Dunn always gave his all, but just wasn't anywhere near good enough to maintain a serious title challenge.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top