I've been looking at this thread, and no way can I come to any kind of decision. The Who for instance, Tommy, Quadrophenia, Who's Next, A Quick One, The Who Sell Out, even Meaty, Beaty Big & Bouncy - possibly the best Greatest Hits type album of all time.
So I'm going to come up with a list of early '70s classic soul albums, one album per artist. Now this is good stuff. In no particular order:
1. Al Green: Al Green Gets Next To You (original UK album release)
2. Bill Withers: Just as I am
3. Billy Paul: 360 Degrees of Billy Paul
4. Donny Hathaway: Everything is Everything
5. Temptations: Sky's The Limit
6. Stevie Wonder: Music Of My Mind
7, Sly & The Family Stone: There's a Riot Going On
8. Isaac Hayes: Black Moses
9. Don Covay: Super Dude
10. Chi-Lites: A Lonely Man
11. James Brown: Soul Brother Number 1 (yes it's a compilation but it was the first JB album I ever bought)
12. Bobby Womack: Understanding
13. Curtis Mayfield: Superfly
14. Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
15. Bar-Kays: Black Rock
16. David Ruffin: My Whole World Ended
17, Joe Simon: Drowning In The Sea of Love
18. The Dramatics: What You See is What You Get
19. War: The World Is a Ghetto
20. Jean Knight: Mister Big Stuff
21. Staple Singers: Be Altitude: Respect Yourself
Ok, I'll stop now or I'll be here all night!
So I'm going to come up with a list of early '70s classic soul albums, one album per artist. Now this is good stuff. In no particular order:
1. Al Green: Al Green Gets Next To You (original UK album release)
2. Bill Withers: Just as I am
3. Billy Paul: 360 Degrees of Billy Paul
4. Donny Hathaway: Everything is Everything
5. Temptations: Sky's The Limit
6. Stevie Wonder: Music Of My Mind
7, Sly & The Family Stone: There's a Riot Going On
8. Isaac Hayes: Black Moses
9. Don Covay: Super Dude
10. Chi-Lites: A Lonely Man
11. James Brown: Soul Brother Number 1 (yes it's a compilation but it was the first JB album I ever bought)
12. Bobby Womack: Understanding
13. Curtis Mayfield: Superfly
14. Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
15. Bar-Kays: Black Rock
16. David Ruffin: My Whole World Ended
17, Joe Simon: Drowning In The Sea of Love
18. The Dramatics: What You See is What You Get
19. War: The World Is a Ghetto
20. Jean Knight: Mister Big Stuff
21. Staple Singers: Be Altitude: Respect Yourself
Ok, I'll stop now or I'll be here all night!