Ethan Ampadu

Ampadu always looked more of a DM than a CB to me. Thought he played well the few times he was used in that role.
Played DM for Wales this month. He was badly exposed because his midfield partner was Ramsey in the first game, who was absymal, and Morrell in the second, and he (Morrell) was sent off after 20 minutes. He did Ok but he was up against it in both games through no fault of his own.

 
Ampadu always looked more of a DM than a CB to me. Thought he played well the few times he was used in that role.
Maybe if he had been given consistent game time at DM at senior level instead of switching back and forth he could have developed his skills in that role but I always felt he was more like a David Luiz type defender.

 
Ake went on loan to some BAD teams, and look where he is now. I think Ampadu resembles his style of play and skill set, a lot. 

 
Ake went on loan to some BAD teams, and look where he is now. I think Ampadu resembles his style of play and skill set, a lot. 
Huh? He was at Reading for a short stint in the Championship, but both loans to Watford and Bournemouth were in the EPL. He won Watford's young POTY, was recalled from Bournemouth when we were short of CBs under Conte, and then was bought promptly by Bournemouth the next season for a club record fee. 

 
Ake went on loan to some BAD teams, and look where he is now. I think Ampadu resembles his style of play and skill set, a lot. 
Not similar at all. Ake always had excellent positioning and reading of the game from young age, all he needed was games to develop. Amapdu's greatest quality is his passing, he doesn't have the positioning and reading of the game down yet, this is why he needed to be carefully managed with his loans and sending him off to Leiipzig aged 18 was an amatuer decision from the club. 

 
Doesn't seem to be any strong rumours surrounding him, personally I hope we keep him around. His quality is debatable, but if we end up playing with a defensive midfielder whos role is to sometimes fall back in a defensive three and otherwise defensively balance the midfield I think he'd do allright - at least as a backup. Its not like we have any midfielders with those characteristics atm so I'd rather see what Pochettino can do with him than selling him on the cheap

 
A report the other day that he and several others were training apart from the main squad with others being considered for sale and loan.

 
Ake is a class above Ampadu in every way.
Although I don't think Ampadu is the answer for Chelsea at the same age Ake was on loan to Bournemnouth and made only 12 appearances in the season and we were convinced to sell him at the end of that season. There are parallels there tbf. No saying Ampadu can't go on to have a similar career as similar profiles too.

 
No benefit whatsoever to selling him or sending him out on another loan.

Keep him, give him a chance and review in the summer. He should be perfect for the Dier role. 
Have you watched him play during his time in Italy? From the games i have seen, and i admit it has been in a pretty poor side, he hasn't really stood out at anything, tbh.

He seems a fairly typical case, of a young lad with great potential and talent that has matured into a pretty average footballer, with never really fulfillign that early potential. It happens more times than not.

 
Have you watched him play during his time in Italy? From the games i have seen, and i admit it has been in a pretty poor side, he hasn't really stood out at anything, tbh.

He seems a fairly typical case, of a young lad with great potential and talent that has matured into a pretty average footballer, with never really fulfillign that early potential. It happens more times than not.
Pretty much sums it up for me. I kept an eye on him here in Italy. His best attribute has always been his passing. His problem has been decision making particularly under pressure. This hasn't improved either in club football or playing for Wales. 

 
Have you watched him play during his time in Italy? From the games i have seen, and i admit it has been in a pretty poor side, he hasn't really stood out at anything, tbh.

He seems a fairly typical case, of a young lad with great potential and talent that has matured into a pretty average footballer, with never really fulfillign that early potential. It happens more times than not.
Not really but from the small bits I've seen he's been ok nothing special. The fans seemed to think he was one of their best players at both Italian clubs though so I'll take their word for it. 

I've always said he was a very average CB and I believe that's where he's been playing in his most recent loans, he's not good enough mentally but as a DM I believe he won't be exposed as badly. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's gonna be world class but considering our lack of DM's in the squad it's worth keeping him around as backup at the very least. 

 
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's gonna be world class but considering our lack of DM's in the squad it's worth keeping him around as backup at the very least. 
Lot is dependent on preseason. If Santos and Ampadu show some promise at midfield, I reckon they'd be kept around. 

If not, the former will be loaned and the latter likely sold, whilst we make some last minute stop gap midfield signings. 

 
Not really but from the small bits I've seen he's been ok nothing special. The fans seemed to think he was one of their best players at both Italian clubs though so I'll take their word for it. 

I've always said he was a very average CB and I believe that's where he's been playing in his most recent loans, he's not good enough mentally but as a DM I believe he won't be exposed as badly. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's gonna be world class but considering our lack of DM's in the squad it's worth keeping him around as backup at the very least. 
It's a fair point and I suppose I am somewhat indifferent whether he stays or goes. You're right he could be a reasonable back up and may improve in a good training regime, but if he was sold and replaced by the next bright thing, that would be fine to.

 
Ethan Apadu – He is one that didn’t make it at Chelsea, but he is still a decent lad, solid professional.  He Is available for transfer and Udinese may opt to make an offer for him but want the asking price reduced.

 
Ethan Apadu – He is one that didn’t make it at Chelsea, but he is still a decent lad, solid professional.  He Is available for transfer and Udinese may opt to make an offer for him but want the asking price reduced.
How much are Chelsea asking? Udinese are solid mid-table, by far the best team he'd be involved with after the myriad loans to bottom-feeder clubs. He deserves the chance.

 
The business model we’ve had with our young players has certainly made us money.

But the sheer volume of youth players we have makes it almost impossible for them to progress. 
 

I’m glad the loan system is being changed and I’m absolutely positive we’ll end up with young players who actually progress to the first team.

 
Seems he is off to Leeds. No mention of the fee my guess would be circa £10 million

 
The business model we’ve had with our young players has certainly made us money.

But the sheer volume of youth players we have makes it almost impossible for them to progress. 
 

I’m glad the loan system is being changed and I’m absolutely positive we’ll end up with young players who actually progress to the first team.
What we basically had was a whole load of players developing at the same time. 
 

Not sure I agree that it made it impossible to progress it’s just that the bulk of them were good but not quite good enough and even then we have as many academy products in our squad as any other team in the PL

 
Back
Top