I have. I tend to pick the game up every other year now, rather than every year.
Started a game as Hampton and Richmond (I lived in Hampton for 7 years as a kid, not knowing anything about the local club). Trying to take them from Vanarama South to the Premier League. Season 1 started well, was 2nd after 15 games, but it's all turned to sh*t. Haven't won a league game in 7. I literally don't know how to fix the team.
The match engine is infuriating. I'm regularly faced with my players running towards the ball, and then stopping, allowing the opposition to take it, swing a long ball to a striker, who has no defender watching him, so he runs and scores. Happening again and again. I mean, one goal I conceded, was a defender under no pressure at all, doing a backpass to the goalkeeper. It was directed well, but the goalkeeper was inexplicably not even watching the play...he was facing the stand behind the goal, and the ball just rolled in the net.
I don't know how to change my tactics for my players being genuine idiots.