good deal on external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3.7

deluded elitist
Messages
5,780
Reaction score
1,311
Nice find gullit4, will see if I have any funds left
icon_razz.gif


 
Is there a particular reason why you want an external hard drive? Portability? Have a laptop?

If you are simply looking for expanded storage you are much better off just getting an internal hard drive. A 400GB Seagate SATA hard drive is down to about $120 or $130 these days. Almost 3.0 Gbps as compared to the wimpy 480 Mbps transfer of USB 2.0.

 
I want one to share data (without home-networking) between the PC and the laptop.

Anyone else on Vista yet? Am pleasantly surprised!!

 
Matt,

What puts me off Vista, is all the bugs that came about when XP came out.

Could that happen again with this?

I plan not to dive into Vista for sometime yet until everyone knows where we are with it. I got XP the day it came out, and had probs with it at the start.

But what I've seen, looks good.

 
Looks good - I've had it in test version for about 2 months now and have yet to get a crash it. It's more secure than any Windows platform I've used before and I don't think large Service Packs (such as XP SP2) will be an issue. It all seems to be Windows Updates driven.

The install was the easiest Windows install I've ever done (am old enough to remember 3.11!) and nearly all the drivers were done on install - only one I think I had to go and find was the one for the webcam.

Due to the improved graphics it is more resource hungry than XP, but if you have a machine that is 2-3 years old with about 1Gb of RAM you will be fine.

 
I've heard very mixed views on it, not to mention the space it swallows.

 
I can't see myself jumping to Vista anytime in the next year or more. Most of the features that would have made Vista revolutionary were axed to get it out the door (e.g. WinFS).

Maybe once SP1 comes out, DX10 is launched and DX10 compatible video cards get affordable I'll consider it.

 
Is there a particular reason why you want an external hard drive? Portability? Have a laptop?
I swap between a few external drives cos my board isn't a SATA one and I already have 4 drives attached internally.
icon_razz.gif


Vista... I think... if you're getting the Home Basic version, don't bother (unless of course it comes with the laptop, then it's fine
icon_lol.gif
). I'm definitely not making the jump yet but the minimum anyone should switch to should be the Home Premium...

 
yeah, portability is the main thing- I got a 500gb one earlier today...

what are the main selling points of vista, and can you download it? just for research, obviously.

 
Vista RC2 was widely available for download. Now that the final version has hit retail outlets I doubt that it's still available from Microsoft...but I'm sure torrents of it are still floating around everywhere.

 
Am on Ultimate - work are a Microsoft Developer and so I had to update the laptop they issued to me.

 
so where can I check my ram? somewhere on the computer?

oh, nd updating won't affect anything I have, right?

 
so where can I check my ram? somewhere on the computer?oh, nd updating won't affect anything I have, right?
Right click on 'My Computer' - select properties and it will tell you at the bottom

 
thanks, and bah, 512mb ram.

not good enough for vista I presume? (I've enough memory though...) 3.06 ghz...

so, is there a way of "updating" the processor... without, obviously, buying a new computer.

 
g4 the 3.06ghz is the processor. That's fine. You'd be looking at increasing memory (aka RAM).

 
yeah i just added that in case it was also relevant info.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top