Good Documentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zola

I am Zola.
Messages
20,806
Reaction score
3,097
I like modern day documentaries....

Over the weekend I watch "Deep Web"... all about the events surrounding Silk Road, Bitcoin and politics of the Dark Web.

Interesting. The US law enforcement seemed to act way outside the law to catch Ross Ulbricht, his trial seemed rather unfair...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Indie Game: The Movie

Documentary that follows some indie computer game developers and the and shows the stresses of being a small fish in the big pond of the video game market. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

It's on Netflix, if you've played any indie games which are often a lot more imaginative and creative than the big releases it's a nice insight into that world and just how work and stress goes into creating something that is often overlooked by a large percentage of the market. 

 
A few from my favourite horror movies:

Halloween the Inside Story

Documentary about the classic Halloween movie from John Carpenter. I've watched a lot to documentaries on this film but this one is by far the best, really in depth interviews with most of the cast, crew and celeb fans etc.

Crystal Lake Memories

Originally a wonderful book written by Peter Bracke they made it into an in depth documentary with interviews from directors, actors etc.

Never Sleep Again

Prett much same as above (although it was never a book), an in depth look at the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise with interviews from the directors, actors etc.

These three are fantastic watches for fans of the genre, even if you don't like the actual films themselves.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my all time favourites

West of Memphis - A documentary about a miscarriage of justice in the US where 3 young boys are serving life sentences for a murder they say they didn't commit. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2130321/

Capturing The Freidman's - The Friedmans are a seemingly typical, upper-middle-class Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes. Caught up in hysteria and with their community in an uproar, the family undergoes a media onslaught. The film inquires not just into the life of a family but into a community, a legal system, and an era. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

Louis Theroux - A place for paedophiles - Louis visits Coalinga Mental Hospital in California, home to over 500 convicted paedophiles, and spends some time with those undergoing treatment. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433852/

 
Good idea for a thread this.

I think I posted this in the movies thread, but the recent HBO documentary on Scientology (Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief) is brilliant.

Another short documentary I saw recently is Madness in the Fast Lane, it's about a couple of mental Swedish women who try to kill themselves by jumping into traffic on a busy motorway. Contains a lot of really weird and shocking footage.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed The Culture High recently. A solid documentary to add to the endless list that show how prohibition and 'The War on Drugs' simply isn't working. 

 
Gangland is a very intriguing documentary series so many episodes giving an insight into gang cultures in America. Each episode focuses on a different gang and their origins etc.

My favourite documentary/movie is called undefeated it features on a high school 'football' team in America. Who lose a lot of games and this focuses on their golden generation who looked to turn things around. Really is a very emotional documentary.

 
My favourite documentary/movie is called undefeated it features on a high school 'football' team in America. Who lose a lot of games and this focuses on their golden generation who looked to turn things around. Really is a very emotional documentary.
Great movie/documentary, even for those not from the US.

 
I started watching Undefeated last night... I have half an hour to go when I get home from work. Really enjoying it, what a story. That coach is an amazing person.

 
If you are into the mafia and crime things then try The Iceman Tapes (Iceman Confessions of a Mafia Hitman), you can watch it on youtube or download.

It's really chilling yet fascinating to watch.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are into the mafia and crime things then try The Iceman Tapes (Iceman Confessions of a Mafia Hitman), you can watch it on youtube or download.

It's really chilling yet fascinating to watch.
Yes the Iceman has a notorious reputation but I do wonder whether his stories are completely true or not. I suspect a psychopath like him relishes in the idea that he's killed more people than most hit men would in a lifetime and I don't have doubt that he's a violent individual but he comes across as someone trying to 'enhance' his reputation as a tough man in the underworld when in reality many of his stories are likely to be complete bullsh*t.

 
On BBC4 on Monday night there was a very good documentary about the role of the Royal Navy in World War I. Part one was on Monday. Part two is next Monday. Part one covered the development of the dreadnoughts; ther use of Scapa Flow and naval battles e.g. Jutland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05qy7nq

 
I watched Gascoigne last night, good documentary all about Gazza's career in his own words. Some nice footage etc. Has vox pops from Jose, Lineker, Rooney etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4293752/

7/10

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top