Google Chromecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zola

I am Zola.
Messages
20,806
Reaction score
3,097
My mate bought one of these little gadgets, pretty sweet!

Good for throwing YouTube onto the tv, iplayer, netflix etc from your phone, tablet, laptop etc.

Anyone else have one?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting, do you know if it only streams online stuff or can it play local media as well?

I've been hearing good things about the new NOW TV box too, it sounds similar and is only 10 quid but lacks netflix (although you can get various optional Sky subscriptions instead, hence the cheap price). 

https://shop.nowtv.com/

 
Got one of these yesterday, awesome little gadget!! Setup within 30 seconds. Great for playing YouTube, Netflix and iPlayer on your tv from your phone, tablet, laptop etc.

Seamless at the touch of a button! You can even turn your phone off once it starts and it wont upset the cast, it takes over basically. HD quality no worries. I even had it at the other side of the house and no hiccups from the connection.

Very cheap and very good! Theres not too many apps yet, but it is under development.

As of right now its fantastic, even in its early state!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
You can, but can you beam it to your TV and then go back to your ipad and do something different?

Nope!

 
Question, why would you need this if you already have a smart TV ? 

 
I have a Samsung LCD tv that I got maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It doesnt have Youtube or Netflix built in etc.

But....I guess even if you had a smart tv with that stuff bolted on, the ease and speed of getting your content looked up on your phone/tablet and sent to the tv in seconds is still a big plus.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
No one has mentioned it yet, but you can cast BT Sport as well. Same way as with YouTube

 
Chris / Anyone else who has one...

Have you successfully casted anything from your laptop via chrome browser?

 
I was in town earlier and noticed Currys were selling them for 18 quid each, I'm not sure I really need a Chromecast since I'm all XBMC'ed up but I love tinkering with stuff like this so I picked one up anyway. I think they're discounted in lots of places at the moment.

Zola - After setting up the chromecast I tried casting a tab from chrome on my PC using the browser extension and it worked first time.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys

I've ordered one of these and it should arrive soon

I was wondering if anyone has managed to cast Sky Sports, BT Sports or even streams such as AceStream?

Another thing, has anyone managed to cast any files they have in their folders (such as movies) and if they have, is it limited to certain files?

This applies for both my laptop and my tablet (tab S)

 
I find streaming flash sites through this to be very juddery, you can go back to the laptop and see it playing fine but on the tv it's crap, starts off well though... Very odd

 
Hey guys

I've ordered one of these and it should arrive soon

I was wondering if anyone has managed to cast Sky Sports, BT Sports or even streams such as AceStream?

Another thing, has anyone managed to cast any files they have in their folders (such as movies) and if they have, is it limited to certain files?

This applies for both my laptop and my tablet (tab S)
You can cast Sky Sports (NowTV) and BT Sports using their apps. I don't know about Acestream, it would be really useful if you could. I've never even been able to get Acestream working on my tablet.You can cast local files using something like BubbleUPnP or ES Media Player. I've found some types of file don't work though (like avi).

 
You can cast Sky Sports (NowTV) and BT Sports using their apps. I don't know about Acestream, it would be really useful if you could. I've never even been able to get Acestream working on my tablet.

You can cast local files using something like BubbleUPnP or ES Media Player. I've found some types of file don't work though (like avi).
I don't know what tablet your using but I've got Tab S and acestream works for me

The quality is brilliant but it does at times buffer (I think that's down to the poor Internet service I get at my student accommodation)

But it's well worth trying out

Thanks for the advice

Can't wait for it to come and have a play around with it

 
I find streaming flash sites through this to be very juddery, you can go back to the laptop and see it playing fine but on the tv it's crap, starts off well though... Very odd
CheersI do try and stay away from flash streams now though

Not as reliable as others I found out

 
I don't know what tablet your using but I've got Tab S and acestream works for me

Thanks for the link, I'll have another go next time there's a match on as I only ever tried it on my old tablet and I've got a much more capable one now. If it works with Chromecast then that would be awesome. If not then there's a screen-mirroring function in the Chromecast app that might work (or not, it didn't like it when I tried to mirror 4OD).
 
Anyone on android should use the mobdro app, got loads of channels.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top