Google homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBeard

First Team Regular
Messages
6,073
Reaction score
169
I've used Google as my homepage for many years now, but this afternoon for no reason at all, the layout has changed. The search box has got larger, and when I get a search-list there is now a margin on the left which wasn't there before.

I really don't like it like this, and want to go back to the way it was, but can't find how to do it. I've tried everything in the command bar and searched for answers online, but came up with nothing worthwhile. I'd appreciate any help, as I'd hate to throw my PC out of the window before Sunday's game, I'll have nothing to watch a stream on!

 
That's Google mate, the only way to change is to use igoogle.

 
I just tried iGoogle, and now my homepage is full of crap ::clap2::

When it was just plain Google, that was it - a searchbox and nothing else, that's all I want back. Surely I should have a choice whether my homepage changes or not, officious Google b*stards!

 
Absolutely BB! I've been fuming all day about the fact that nobody asked my permission before messing about with my Google page! Bloody cheek!

 
Thanks for that, Mod, I'll have a read of it tomorrow!

We'll get our own back on Google, moi, what we need is a cunning plan...

 
I actually think the sidebar is an improvement. You can still keep doing basic google searches like you used and can basically ignore the sidebar, but there are some good new options on how to do searches in the sidebar. I think it was about time google did something new to their search engine. There really had not been any major improvements for quite a while, and I for one welcome these changes. As for google as a start page...how is it different apart from the fact that it looks a bit different?

 
Us old folk don't WANT it to look different, do we BB? We want everything to stay the same like what we're used to!

 
Well its bigger on the monitor for the old mince pies moi!

 
But, I don't get it. Now instead of a blank margin there's a sidebar with new features that make it easier to search for things. To me the change is very minimal looks-wise, but seems to improve the usability quite a bit. I mean, the fonts are still the same, the colors are still the same, but now we just have some extra options which you can use if you want to, but if you don't, you can keep using the basic search just like you used to. Besides, google changes the google logo at the top of the page all the time(to make it more topical) and that seems like a much bigger change to how the front page looks like than what has happened now.

 
I liked the older Google page as well. Why change something that works?

 
Bit like you still asking for Red Barrel Steve - life goes on

 
Why change something that works?
Boots_w250.jpg


Those boots worked, so why the need to change them?

 
Us old folk don't WANT it to look different, do we BB? We want everything to stay the same like what we're used to!
Absolutely, moi! If Google wanted to change the style why the hell couldn't they just leave an option to use the old page for those who didn't like the new one.

Tim W. - I've never ever asked for Red Barrel, it was one of the weakest puke inducing beers ever brewed. Now if you had mentioned Double Diamond you'd have a point ;)

Maks - If players still wore boots like that, there'd be far fewer foot and ankle injuries, bring 'em back, I say! ::ChELSeAFaN::

 
And those old boots were so sexy! It takes a real man to play in boots like that! And bring back short shorts too, please!

 
I bet there is someone out there who wishes the google front page still looked like this
So do you think the new page is an improvement because Google say it is? And like I said before, why isn't there an option?

 
So do you think the new page is an improvement because Google say it is?
Not because they say it is, but because I think it is. I think the changes to the main google.com page are very minimal and it still does what it used to do. Then again, I've got the Firefox/Google start page as my start page and that still looks the same as it did before this google upgrade and I usually do my searches with the search function in the google tool bar, so I rarely use the main google.com page anyway. The google.com front page has had bigger changes than this when they use the topical google fonts during the holiday season, olympics or other major events(and that happens many times during the year), so by simply making the search bar a bit bigger and leaving the drop shadow out of the google logo, doesn't make the change a very drastic one for me. Especially as it doesn't affect the usability of the search engine. I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far. But then again, in most computer related things, I prefer functionality over looks anyway. If it doesn't look like a complete mess, it's fine by me if it works well and it's easy to use.

And like I said before, why isn't there an option?
I don't know, but I also don't see why should there be one when you can still go on using google the old way, ignoring the new bells and whistles, but if you want to use the new features, you can. I think it's a win-win situation. The fonts and the colors on the search results page are still the same, the REAL difference is in the margin.

 
Not because they say it is, but because I think it is. I think the changes to the main google.com page are very minimal and it still does what it used to do. Then again, I've got the Firefox/Google start page as my start page and that still looks the same as it did before this google upgrade and I usually do my searches with the search function in the google tool bar, so I rarely use the main google.com page anyway. The google.com front page has had bigger changes than this when they use the topical google fonts during the holiday season, olympics or other major events(and that happens many times during the year), so by simply making the search bar a bit bigger and leaving the drop shadow out of the google logo, doesn't make the change a very drastic one for me. Especially as it doesn't affect the usability of the search engine. I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far. But then again, in most computer related things, I prefer functionality over looks anyway. If it doesn't look like a complete mess, it's fine by me if it works well and it's easy to use. I don't know, but I also don't see why should there be one when you can still go on using google the old way, ignoring the new bells and whistles, but if you want to use the new features, you can. I think it's a win-win situation. The fonts and the colors on the search results page are still the same, the REAL difference is in the margin.
Ignore me, I'm just an old git stuck in his ways :D

I think my nerves are getting stretched, what with Sunday's game coming up - it's making me even more crotchety than usual, something I didn't think possible :telephone:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top