hello from Victoria BC Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Shed End, Al. I've visited Victoria once, from Vancouver, where I was staying with family. Beautiful, but not very exciting :) Mind you, this was in 1988, perhaps it's now the most happening place in Canada.

Hope the Canucks win the Stanley Cup!
Well we have grown a bit since then. Seems everyone wants to retire here although the weather here can really suck. I guess anything is better than snow. Your constantly under threat of being run over by mature individuals on electric side walk scooters. :D I figure we had made it to the big time when Billy Connelly came and did a show here. Oh yeah we also had the U21 WC FIFA group stages in Victoria a few years back. New arena, yeah we're slowly moving up.

The Canucks will take it for sure. :5569:

 
Yep the MLS is a joke, the quality of play is pathetic and so are all three Canadian teams...like watching and playing in a Sunday morning amateur game in the UK. How TFC get 20,000 a game and sell out amazes me, still must those displaced Portuguese, Italian, Russian et al and most stupidly the ex pats. I guy I work with, like me is a Chelsea Supporter born in the shadows of the old Stamford Bridge, has season tickets for TFC he tells me there is a waiting list! Having watched Chelsea home and away until I came here in 1988 and coached kids here until I realised that it's about parent egos and not for the kids to have fun and learn. Give it about another 10 years or so and we might be at a 2nd Division level....by that time I might be 6 feet under!
I coached my daughters team. Young teenage girls lowest division some just joined when they were 16 and decided to play. So no real skills but they seem to have blast. They won only 2 games in the season (obviously Chelsea will not be calling me as manager) but these Girls kept coming to practice. They really were more interested in hanging out with each other and socializing. They played hard but at the end of the game everyone was always smiles. I figured it was better for them to come to practice and play then hang out in front of the local 7-11 all night.

But you are right MLS has long way to go.And Canada really has no farm system for football. :angry:

 
I'm now living just over the border in the State of Washington
Nah thought by your reply that you were an Arsenal fan! My best bud is Scottish He got me cheering for Hearts.
How the F**K did you deduce that I was an Arsenal fan by that??? To say I'm insulted is an understatement :)

PS. Good choice with Hearts, one of my uncles from Edinburgh trained with them as a boy

 
I also know an Arsenal fan. he is very lonely and depressed.Al
Now you see Mad Mac I posted the above and your post was to the effect that you had now moved across the border to Washington right after it so I figured you where having me along ........ I hope I have not scarred you emotionally for life.(I'd put in smiley here but can't figure out how to do it on this iPod touch Thingy)

Hearts Is a good choice finished 3rd. Dare I say it they are a team with heart. (Gee that sounded lame but you get my drift.)

Al

 
Yep the MLS is a joke, the quality of play is pathetic and so are all three Canadian teams...like watching and playing in a Sunday morning amateur game in the UK. How TFC get 20,000 a game and sell out amazes me, still must those displaced Portuguese, Italian, Russian et al and most stupidly the ex pats. I guy I work with, like me is a Chelsea Supporter born in the shadows of the old Stamford Bridge, has season tickets for TFC he tells me there is a waiting list! Having watched Chelsea home and away until I came here in 1988 and coached kids here until I realised that it's about parent egos and not for the kids to have fun and learn. Give it about another 10 years or so and we might be at a 2nd Division level....by that time I might be 6 feet under!
Only 2 Canadian teams in the MLS..... Its a newish league, give it time. I think the MLS will have a bigger impact on the "Soccer" players the US will now start producing. They have many of the best "pure" athletes in the wolrd, by increasing the profile of the sport in the USA we may see some of those top level athletes take euro-football as their main sport instead of Basketball/American Football.

 
Yup we lost. Boston was better.The goalie (Thomas ) was the main factor for their win. Our goalie Luongo was at best mediocre. Its hard to see him in a Canucks jersy next season. The Sedin sisters( Sedin brothers) didn't even really show up foor the game. Unfortunately the rioting in Vancouver made it look worse, like we were spoiled sports. Generally Canadians are quite calm, this looked like the FA cup quarter finals at the Den 1978. Sad really. :mad: :pUKe:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top