- Messages
- 19,164
- Reaction score
- 8,768
Tough one. Although you can see the morale argument for this the Internet itself isn't "owned" by any nation in particular which makes it a unique thing to Police.
You now have to tell your provider you don't want parental controls because you want to do the five knuckle shuffle, not sure that's right personally.
Surprising as it may be I don't actually access porn online myself but I respect the right of those who choose to do so and I don't believe we should be flagging up our interests to our ISP's telling them specifically what we intend to use the Internet for once we have signed up to them.If "five knuckle shuffle" means what I think it means, can't you just use your imagination? Do you actually have to have a picture in front of you?
Surprising as it may be I don't actually access porn online myself but I respect the right of those who choose to do so and I don't believe we should be flagging up our interests to our ISP's telling them specifically what we intend to use the Internet for once we have signed up to them.
Just strikes me as an invasion of privacy, which can be rather off putting given the subject "at hand".
I think you have a point there; it shouldn't take anybody who knows how to use a search engine more than 10 minutes to find a way around any ISP block. It will be a completely futile effort but I still find it objectionable on principle.f**k 'em, I'll just use my internet skillz to circumnavigate it anyway. I live at home with my parents so I can hardly ask them to contact the ISP and ask if I can pl0x have my pornz bak.
The PRISM is dead, long live the PRISM!It won't do a damn thing. There seem to be 2 elements to this:
1. Blocking children from viewing porn - This is easily circumvented and downloaded, either on computer or smartphone, etc... if they really want to view it. And I'm sure they will all tell their friends how to get around it.
2. Blocking child porn from search engines - It's not in search engines. Cameron seems to think that if you type "child porn" into Google you get a load of explicit images. You do not. You'd be hard pressed to find 1. It's all on these "invisible networks" which are cut off from the public internet and thus can't be found by search engines. Only way to take them out is to physically destroy the networks. But there will just be 2 more in its place afterwards.
The only thing that will come out of this opt-in scheme is yet more information the government have on us in some insecure database. Why the hell should a grown man have to inform the government if he wants to look at naked women on his computer? I swear to God we're drifting closer and closer to a 1984 world and no-one is doing anything to stop it.
They really don't get how the internet works, do they?He also warned he could have to "force action" by changing the law and that, if there were "technical obstacles", firms should use their "greatest brains" to overcome them.
I'm much the same. I don't like porn, it's not my thing, but I really don't see why it should be blocked. There is a petition already set-up to battle this, and I have signed it. For anybody that is considering doing the same it can be found here.Surprising as it may be I don't actually access porn online myself but I respect the right of those who choose to do so and I don't believe we should be flagging up our interests to our ISP's telling them specifically what we intend to use the Internet for once we have signed up to them.
Just strikes me as an invasion of privacy, which can be rather off putting given the subject "at hand".