Lampard: a kneejerk reaction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As everyone knows, penalty taking is all about confidence.

The best (and only) way for Lamps to get his confidence back is to step straight back up and put another one away.

If he was stipped of his responsibility for missing one penalty for Chelsea (the England ones don't count - completely different situations), I don't think he would have the confidence to ever take a penalty again.

On the other point - I agree about the free-kicks. It would be good to have a bit of variety. I think that Lamps's away-curling thunderbolts are getting a bit predictable.

Obviously Ballack and Sheva (along with Drogs and Geremi) are the other options - but personally, I would like to see Joe Cole get a bit more of a chance as well. Over his career, he hasn't had many opportunities, but he has scored a couple of crackers that I remember.

 
The call should be with Frank, if he wants to take the next pen then all well and good. However, if he passes the chance onto another player(and I would be very disapointed in him if he did) then I believe it should be Sheva, on the basis that he needs the chance to get his confidence up and scoring goals will do it, then we will see, sooner rather than later, the best goal scorer in the business.

 
Frank should take them

that is the first one he has missed in a chelsea shirt in a long time and i think it is about time he lashed one straight down the middle

 
I think Frank should be given one more chance. If he misses, then we need to put in someone else. This will hopefully spur Frankie on to show (in training) that he can still score from the spot. However, I wouldn't want this to destroy frankies confidence, so I feel that he shoudl be made aware of this before a game, just to put teh pressure on, see if he can cope.

Scott

 
Well Ballack took the next penalty and what a penalty it was. Talk about hitting the ball with confidence, it almost uprooted the goal posts.

 
i think ballack should take the pens. (damn. how do i change the date posted thing)

 
i just saw on a skysports poll - Is Lampard past him best ?

that is a absolutely ridiculous question, last season was another great season from frank scoring 18 + goals and countless assists yet one poor england tournament and a penalty miss and all of a sudden he is past him best at 28 years of age

 
This is a fairly typical poll which a number of players are subject to from time to time - for example I would wager Giggs has had polls like this done about him.

The country is obsessed with polls and being allowed to vote (just look at the number of TV shows that encourage it) and websites will churn them out based on a couple of poor games, or one bad tackle, or a penalty miss etc etc etc.

However if you think about it in a slightly different way it is probably true to say that Lamps stock has gone down - by this I mean if we were a selling club which relied on cashing in on star players from time to time then there is no denying that Lamps would have fetched a higher fee one year ago then he would today. Now this doesn't really mean anything to Chelsea fans as we all know what Lamps can bring to the team (and has brought to the team) but it is this sort of thinking that non Chelsea fans will use to suggest he is a player on a decline.

 
Now was that a penalty kick last night or what? I think all our questions were answered last night, and if we go back to Lamps after this I just hope they let me know before so I can call my doctor and set up an appointment for my heart.

 
Now was that a penalty kick last night or what? I think all our questions were answered last night, and if we go back to Lamps after this I just hope they let me know before so I can call my doctor and set up an appointment for my heart.
icon_lol.gif
great penaulty by ballack.. i have/had every confidence in the man from germany.

 
This is a fairly typical poll which a number of players are subject to from time to time - for example I would wager Giggs has had polls like this done about him.The country is obsessed with polls and being allowed to vote (just look at the number of TV shows that encourage it) and websites will churn them out based on a couple of poor games, or one bad tackle, or a penalty miss etc etc etc.

However if you think about it in a slightly different way it is probably true to say that Lamps stock has gone down - by this I mean if we were a selling club which relied on cashing in on star players from time to time then there is no denying that Lamps would have fetched a higher fee one year ago then he would today. Now this doesn't really mean anything to Chelsea fans as we all know what Lamps can bring to the team (and has brought to the team) but it is this sort of thinking that non Chelsea fans will use to suggest he is a player on a decline.
Fair points Loz. Putting down the blue specs for a moment, and trying to give my own honest, unbiased appraisal, Lamps had, by his own high standards, a fairly average season last year. And for me, his form has continued in the same vein at the beginning of this campaign. Though he still normally performs at a reasonable level, he is showing nowhere near the levels of consistency and influence that he had in our first Championship winning season and before.

The reasons for that ? Answers on a postcard please. Personally, I think he's looking all footballed out. He's human. He needs a rest every now and then.

PS. I also think it a wise move for the PK's to be handed to another player for awhile.

 
I think Frank maybe is due a well deserved rest....he is still influential to our game but not controlling the midfield...whether or not his role has slightly changed (Jose) or whether its just a case of too much football I dont know but I would not be adverse to seeing a Ballack Makalele Essien Cole midfield with two strikers and Frank on the bench just to see how we would play without him, Injury free as he usually is we have not seen how we perform without his influence.

I would give Ballack he penalties or at least let them decide between them if one fancies it more than the other than so be it...not because Frank has missed a couple but because I just think Ballack is a better penalty taker.

I think Frank will still pop in 8 or 10 goals by the end of the season but doubt he can score 18 or so, really shouldn't judge him on that though.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top