Last Movie You Watched

Am watching Ice Cold in Alex. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it. For me, one of the finest films set in WW2. A superb cast and with one of the best endings to a film i.e. that wonderful scene when the four of them are in a bar in Alexandria. Used many years later in an advert for Carlsberg. 




 
On 09/12/2024 at 17:58, Boyne said:

Am watching Ice Cold in Alex. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it. For me, one of the finest films set in WW2. A superb cast and with one of the best endings to a film i.e. that wonderful scene when the four of them are in a bar in Alexandria. Used many years later in an advert for Carlsberg. 


That scene with the greatest piece of Brand placement ever. I want a long glass of Carlsberg every time I see this scene.

 
That scene with the greatest piece of Brand placement ever. I want a long glass of Carlsberg every time I see this scene.
During the filming of the scene in the bar there were a number of takes and on each occasion real beer was used. At end of filming John Mills had drunk so much beer he was sloshed.

Anthony Quayle had served with the Special Operations Executive in Albania during WW2. He wrote a book, Eight Hours From England, about his experiences in Albania. I read it a few years ago. A good read.

Quayle was one of a number of actors who had served in WW2. In addition to him, there was David Niven, Jon Pertwee, Alec Guinness, James Stewart, Clark Cable, Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson. There were probably many more but that's a few names off the top of my head.

 
Watching the Guns of Navarone for about the millionth time. Yes, a slight exaggeration. A great film and with a superb cast. A very good adaptation of the Alistair MacLean story. I read MacLean's books in my teens and twenties. Great adventure stories. Two of the cast, David Niven and Anthony Quayle served in the WW2. Niven.

I have watched the Force 10 From Navarone the sequel to Guns of Navarone and thought it was poor.

 
Go watch the Ballard of Wallis Island, starring your friend and mine Tim Key whilst it’s still in the cinema. Beautiful little movie that!

 
Go watch the Ballard of Wallis Island, starring your friend and mine Tim Key whilst it’s still in the cinema. Beautiful little movie that!
Thanks. Going to watch it next Wednesday. A couple of the cast members were interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. Film sounds very good.

 
Thanks. Going to watch it next Wednesday. A couple of the cast members were interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. Film sounds very good.
Was it Key & Basden? They wrote it, it was an originally a short they made 16(?) years ago. I’m going to see it again tomorrow mainly because it was brilliant but also so I don’t have to be alone with my own thoughts…

I’m hoping it’s successful enough that they get to make a feature out of their Christmas short they made called Anthony!

 
Was it Key & Basden? They wrote it, it was an originally a short they made 16(?) years ago. I’m going to see it again tomorrow mainly because it was brilliant but also so I don’t have to be alone with my own thoughts…

I’m hoping it’s successful enough that they get to make a feature out of their Christmas short they made called Anthony!
It was. When I heard the interview I thought the film sounds good and now it's at my local cinema will watch it.

 
Was it Key & Basden? They wrote it, it was an originally a short they made 16(?) years ago. I’m going to see it again tomorrow mainly because it was brilliant but also so I don’t have to be alone with my own thoughts…

I’m hoping it’s successful enough that they get to make a feature out of their Christmas short they made called Anthony!
Basden a seriously multi-talented lad who, for some reason, travels under the radar. Never tire of R4's "Party", I think I've heard every repeat. Did they try to turn it into a TV series?

 
Basden a seriously multi-talented lad who, for some reason, travels under the radar. Never tire of R4's "Party", I think I've heard every repeat. Did they try to turn it into a TV series?
I didn’t know about that because I’m a fake fan so now I’ve got something to listen to whilst I shift three bulk bags of cobbles tomorrow 👍

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Go watch the Ballard of Wallis Island, starring your friend and mine Tim Key whilst it’s still in the cinema. Beautiful little movie that!
Just left the cinema. Really enjoyed the film. Great story line and some superb comedic moments. Poignant moments as well. Could easily watch it again. Will recommend it to friends.

 
It’s a beautiful little film, it’s doing really well too as word spreads. Really happy for both of them.

Never tire of R4's "Party", I think I've heard every repeat. Did they try to turn it into a TV series?
Loved this, possibly the early origins of Key’s ‘shall I be mother?’ popadom smashing! I’ll ask the man himself of Friday if I remember!

 
I’ve had the mcgwyer mortimer album on repeat for months too whilst I’m still banging on about it

 
It’s a beautiful little film, it’s doing really well too as word spreads. Really happy for both of them.

Loved this, possibly the early origins of Key’s ‘shall I be mother?’ popadom smashing! I’ll ask the man himself of Friday if I remember!
Aside from Basden's obvious talent, his intelligence shines through. Unlike some writer/performers, he's content to play second or third fiddle, to distribute the best material around as need be. "Party" had a cracking cast and he made the most of it. Jonny Sweet was terrific. He seems to have disappeared from performance. His R4 series "Hard To Tell" from about 10 years ago is well worth a listen. Manages to combine clever with funny with emotion.

 
A great film on BBC 4 at 9pm this coming Thursday. It's The Wicker Man. The 1973 version with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. I've never watched the re-make and I doubt if I'll ever will. The ending to The Wicker Man is superb. I think what makes The Wicker Man so good and scary is that the plot is so plausible.

 
A great film on BBC 4 at 9pm this coming Thursday. It's The Wicker Man. The 1973 version with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. I've never watched the re-make and I doubt if I'll ever will. The ending to The Wicker Man is superb. I think what makes The Wicker Man so good and scary is that the plot is so plausible.
Never seen it....well, not in full. Obviously I have watched the dancing scene many times over.

 
f1 at the cinema on the weekend....

Barbie for boys. Brainless fun. I think even Nicolas Jackson could have guess the "plot".

 
Loved F1

Thought it was a real throwback, anyone who enjoyed Top Gun Maverick go see F1 as you won't be dissapointed.

 
A classic film on BBC4 at 9pm tonight. The Shining. A great film based on a great book. Will watch if after the football..

 
A classic film on BBC4 at 9pm tonight. The Shining. A great film based on a great book. Will watch if after the football..
Ahhh I remember... I was practically hiding under my seat.

 
Back
Top