Mac Sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this true? I thought most of the video where Nvidia, radeon or intel, intel is now the cpu of choice, and many other components are bought in.
...and all of them were made in China.

 
Windows 7 is by far the most superior windows release. This nonsense was before then.

I especially like the part he mentions 'psychologists' had tested it and the mac os was far easier to use. :biggrin:
So..if you're intellectually challenged, the mac os is the machine for you?

 
Is this true? I thought most of the video where Nvidia, radeon or intel, intel is now the cpu of choice, and many other components are bought in.
It is not true. My MacBook pro uses an Intel mobo with Sandy Bridge chip and ATi video card. It's a mix like everything else on the market. I upgraded the memory and hard drive with 3rd party manufacturers parts and have had no issues.

Undertow said it best. My wife and I use MacBook Pros as laptops and we have no complaints. I have a Windows desktop that runs Windows 7 with VMware Player and Backtrack 5 (linux based OS). My point is that each OS has strengths and weaknesses for whatever you want to use them for. IMHO, pick what you like, what best fits your needs, and go with that.

I will say that Windows 7 is light years better than Vista and even XP. I find my gaming rig to be pretty stable.

 
ever tried photo editing under linux? ;)
Are Photoshop and/or Lightroom Linux compatible? Come to think of it, I've yet to come across anyone who does serious photo editing on a linux based system.

 
By all accounts, Windows 8 is pants. It's really geared towards mobile devices, not desktops and it makes the transition very badly.

 
Are Photoshop and/or Lightroom Linux compatible? Come to think of it, I've yet to come across anyone who does serious photo editing on a linux based system.
You'd be hard pressed to find any commercial proprietary software for a Linux based OS. In a business environment you might get some stuff for RedHat/CentOS distros and there's a couple of good XML editors/IDEs that are proprietary for Linux but again, not many. So for photo editing, GIMP is the way forwards on Linux.

I do programming so Linux/BSD is for me, but I need to fall back to Windows for games, sometimes. I also don't find OS X all that intuitive, but that might just be me. I have no problem with Macs, they're just not for me because well... I don't care how my machine looks, I'm happy with my 10 year old computer struggling along and just about handling everything I need it to. f**k spending £1000 on a computer.

 
By all accounts, Windows 8 is pants. It's really geared towards mobile devices, not desktops and it makes the transition very badly.
Ubuntu (a Linux distro) made this same mistake by forcing people to use a new kind of graphical interface called 'unity'. I uninstalled it very quickly and went back to gnome, to find out they'd changed their set up too. I think unfortunately it's the way that graphical interfaces are going and it's going to take a few attempts to find the right balance... or they'll do the right thing and keep them completely separate.

 
I think it's a bit absurd when people get emotional over a piece of equipment. They're just tools, so there's no need to be one yourself.
The reasons we buy things apparently run pretty deep, far beyond just their utility.
 
So for photo editing, GIMP is the way forwards on Linux.
Which does make it sound like Linux is not a very good choice for photo editing. I've used Photoshop and GIMP and if both were free, I wouldn't even consider GIMP(which is what I currently use).

 
Ubuntu (a Linux distro) made this same mistake by forcing people to use a new kind of graphical interface called 'unity'. I uninstalled it very quickly and went back to gnome, to find out they'd changed their set up too. I think unfortunately it's the way that graphical interfaces are going and it's going to take a few attempts to find the right balance... or they'll do the right thing and keep them completely separate.
I imagine in the future if we still use desktops they'll all have some kind of touch screen interface anyway, so that's the way the OS is going. They just have to make sure it's still usable for novices, as apparently it's pretty difficult to use as well.

 
If you consider the price of a Mac, and then compare that to the price of a basic PC with Mint or something installed as the OS, there isn't really that much more the Mac has that the linux box won't. You can download browsers, word processors, graphics editing software, email clients...all the basic things you need. Everything Apple is always massively overpriced and overrated.

 
The reasons we buy things apparently run pretty deep, far beyond just their utility.
I know. I've seen photographers "discuss" which company makes the best cameras. The companies become like religions to some people.

 
So for photo editing, GIMP is the way forwards on Linux.
I have always used Photoshop but have now had to abandon it and install GIMP. Not finding it as user friendly for my fairly basic needs. If you are good with GIMP I might be turning to you for advice Eggy.

 
Which does make it sound like Linux is not a very good choice for photo editing. I've used Photoshop and GIMP and if both were free, I wouldn't even consider GIMP(which is what I currently use).
Nope, I wouldn't say that it is.

I imagine in the future if we still use desktops they'll all have some kind of touch screen interface anyway, so that's the way the OS is going. They just have to make sure it's still usable for novices, as apparently it's pretty difficult to use as well.
I have never seen the advantage of a touch screen on a desktop, or even a laptop. On a phone or a tablet I get it, but not on anything else.

I have always used Photoshop but have now had to abandon it and install GIMP. Not finding it as user friendly for my fairly basic needs. If you are good with GIMP I might be turning to you for advice Eggy.
I'm useless with anything graphical I'm afraid. I just can't do aesthetics, I'm an engineer at heart.

If you consider the price of a Mac, and then compare that to the price of a basic PC with Mint or something installed as the OS, there isn't really that much more the Mac has that the linux box won't. You can download browsers, word processors, graphics editing software, email clients...all the basic things you need. Everything Apple is always massively overpriced and overrated.
Yeah, this is pretty much my plan with my next purchase, although I'm still undecided on which distro to go with. I have Gnome 3 installed on my Ubuntu Oneiric box, but I went straight for 'Gnome Classic' is Gnome 3 actually any good?

 
Everything Apple is always massively overpriced and overrated.
Which is probably why 90% of my colleagues and employers(I'm a freelancer) have chosen Mac. One production company used PCs when I started doing projects for them, but then switched to Macs and haven't looked back. They still have some PCs, but they're pretty much for web surfing in the lounge area. It's horses for courses! Casual user probably will get better bang for their buck by buying a PC, gamers are better off with a PC, but for some professions Mac is the best choice. I haven't used the cheaper Macs, but I've been VERY pleased with the Mac Book Pros and Mac Pros I've used at work and at home.

 
If you do video editing, I assume that very affordable Final Cut Pro (the previous version, before Apple castrated it) was a reason to adopt the Mac platform?

 
If you do video editing, I assume that very affordable Final Cut Pro (the previous version, before Apple castrated it) was a reason to adopt the Mac platform?
I started using Macs when Final Cut wasn't really an option. I edited on Avid software back then, but when I bought my latest desk top computer, Final Cut was definitely one of the reasons why I chose to buy a Mac.

 
I love my iPhone, and my girlfriend got me am iPad 2 for Christmas which is awesome.

But I still hate OSX, and am so tempted to install Windows 7 on her MacBook! Windows 7 is so much easier to use IMO

 
128259212583918.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top