Music cover versions - where the cover improves the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

loz

The Schoolmaster
Staff member
Messages
22,723
Reaction score
6,608
Driving home from work today I was listening to Johnny Cash's 'American IV: The Man Comes Around' album and it struck me how rarely I could say that I have heard a cover version of a song where I comfortably prefer the cover version to the original.

On that one album alone I would say that there are at least three Cash cover versions that I prefer to the originals (Hurt, Personal Jesus and One)

It got me thinking what other cases there are and the ones I could come up with are:

Hendrix's - All Along the Watchtower and Hey Joe

The Specials - Rudy: A Message to You

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Sammy Davis Jnr - 'In the Ghetto'

The Stranglers - Walk on By

The Pogues - Dirty Old Town

Wilson Pickett - Mustang Sally

Rolling Stones - Time is on my Side

David Bowie - China Girl (bit of a cheat as Bowie co-wrote it anyway but Iggy Pop released it first)

The Who - Summertime Blues

After that I struggle. OK it looks like a few but it isn't really when you consider how many thousands are released. There are probably a few others I have forgotten andf if I did a little research I would come up with them but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Anyone suggest any others?

p.s If anyone says the Scissors Sisters version of COmfortably Numb they are banned for life
icon_wink.gif


 
Nirvana - The man who sold the world

Los Lobos - La Bamba

Johny Cash - Hurt

Sid Vicious - My Way

Eric Clapton - Cocaine

Hendrix - All along the Watchtower, Hey Joe

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

 
Not a great fan of cover versions - especially nowadays as all you bleedin get is Westlife, Girls Aloud etc etc, murdering songs that were'nt even that good to begin with.

From a very biased point of view, the only ones I can think of right now are both cover versions The Jam did. One being David Watts (originally The Kinks) & the other Heatwave (Martha Reeves & The Vandellas).

I'll try and think of some more, but must admit, the original tracks are very rarely bettered.

 
Nirvana - The man who sold the world
That one came very close for me but I am a huge Bowie fan and I just can't allow it to better in my biased mind - I will call it even
icon_wink.gif


Bowie actually did a superb version of a Jacques Brel song called 'Port of Amsterdam' but I didn't mention that as I think it wa sonly released on a BBC Sessions album (Bowie at the Beeb - mostly with John Peel) rather than a studio album

And again with Nibs suggestions I am a huge Kinks fan and love their version of David Watts (as I do the Jam's version) so it was a clse call again.

 
Not a great fan of cover versions - especially nowadays as all you bleedin get is Westlife, Girls Aloud etc etc, murdering songs that were'nt even that good to begin with.
It is that nmassive difference between an artist with integrity and a band being told what to do to make a quick bob isn't it. I have no time for cover versions which make no attempt to inject a different sound, angle and personality into the original song. That is probably why I like the Johnny Cash ones so much.

 
Always thought Willie Nelsons Always on my Mind much better The Pelvis.

 
Anything by U.B.4.O.THE BEST BAND OF COVER LYRIC`S.
icon_wink.gif


Still prefer Mad World by T.F.F.
biggrin.gif
than Gary Jule`s version. :(

Good shout B.I.B..Sid Vicious.MY WAY.THE BEST.
icon_wink.gif


 
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends

Roxy Music - Jealous Guy

 
Loz, once asked at a quiz What is the most covered song of all time,we thought of two at the time a) House of the Rising Sun or b)Yesterday, we went for Yesterday, the answer acc to the quizmaster was Love will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.What do u think.

 
I find that astonishingly hard to believe cloakey (bloody classic song and any cover would be a disgrace!).

I would have thought 'My Way', or 'Yesterday' (as you said).

 
If u check Wikipedia(which I always doubt)it has been covered 24 times.

 
Wikipedia also claims Yesterday has been covered over 3000 times!!

 
Just looked up the Wikipedia entry for 'Love Will tear us Apart' - the only cover version I know I have heard is The Cure one.

It is a song that should never have been covered by anyone - there are osme things that are far too attached to the internal torture of the writer. I have the original 12" on vinyl and dust it down on a regular basis.

 
Always on my mind - Willie Nelson.

Elvis version is good but Willies cover is much more emotional and better. I just love it
biggrin.gif


 
Loz Dear Friend, I have come to the conclusion that I am talking utter sh*te,I have (as they say in Ulster Scots) swallied too many Shhtella, I am off the Fags and the only comfort I can find is drink beer very quickly and listen to the Foo Fighters latest Skin and Bones,very very very good.

 
Loz Dear Friend, I have come to the conclusion that I am talking utter sh*te,I have (as they say in Ulster Scots) swallied too many Shhtella,
icon_lol.gif


Go on yersel' son, have a wee swallie fir me an aww the troops in the CSR young team!

 
O.K pop picker`s.Not arf.
icon_lol.gif


My question to all.Which is the best cover version (by group,male or female) you have seen live.??

Again,for me U.B.4.0. will stand out. M.K.BOWL
biggrin.gif


Clash.Police & Thieve`s (Locarno Coventry) will alway`s be up there.
icon_wink.gif


Most recently.Bee Gee`s cover version by R.H.C.P @ The Ricoh.Amazing.
icon_wink.gif


 
Hmmm

I saw the Pogues do London Calling at the Town & Country Club (but they did have Joe Strummer singing instead of McGowan so not sure if that counts)

On a par with that was seeing Neil Young in Toronto in 1993 doing a version of Dylan's Hurricane

 
Loz Dear Friend, I have come to the conclusion that I am talking utter sh*te,I have (as they say in Ulster Scots) swallied too many Shhtella, I am off the Fags

Fancy a blowback Cloakey.To ease your nerve`s.??
icon_lol.gif


and the only comfort I can find is drink beer very quickly and listen to the Foo Fighters latest Skin and Bones,very very very good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top