Pep Chavarria

Package said to be 25mill all in, including the bonuses.

He seems a real risky signing. Had 4 clubs in his career, the first 3 were not in La Liga. Had 4 seasons with Rayo, I believe those 4 have been at the top level.

At 28 will need to deliver right away, not likely to improve and has to adapt to the league. I'd much sooner we spent more on bringing in a near sure thing in Lewis Hall.

However many of us have called on Alonso to be backed, given the tools he needs to make us a team that can fight for the title, and where CL qualification is back to being a when, not an if. Can really be no argument that this is a signing Alonso must have asked for. There is nothing about this deal that fits BlueCos model.

 
Felipe Luis vibes here.
That's like saying Mata didn't work out because Hazard ended up being better. Luis came to us as the best LB on the planet. No one, not even Mourinho himself counted on Azpilicueta being even better.

I get why Alonso would want a LB like Chavarria. Nowhere near as good as Cucurella going forward but he has that same sort of niggly, tight-marking, aggressive style that can completely shut down a wide player on his day. Much more athletic than Cucurella too. No idea if he can translate that to the PL level but La Liga has similar quality of wide players.

My worry is that he could be exploited like Aaron Wan-Bissaka was at Man United. Defensively one of the best in the league but his limitations in attack mean he becomes a liability against teams sitting deep. I suspect he's just going to be an option for Alonso to throw on and control things to see a game out.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Package said to be 25mill all in, including the bonuses.

He seems a real risky signing. Had 4 clubs in his career, the first 3 were not in La Liga. Had 4 seasons with Rayo, I believe those 4 have been at the top level.

At 28 will need to deliver right away, not likely to improve and has to adapt to the league. I'd much sooner we spent more on bringing in a near sure thing in Lewis Hall.

However many of us have called on Alonso to be backed, given the tools he needs to make us a team that can fight for the title, and where CL qualification is back to being a when, not an if. Can really be no argument that this is a signing Alonso must have asked for. There is nothing about this deal that fits BlueCos model.
I'm not totally sure that Lewis Hall is a sure thing actually but he does now have some experience at this level.

I'm certainly not convinced about this guy. I wasn't particularly enamoured with the original target Maxi Araujo but at least I could see the appeal as a LWB. This appears to be an even weaker choice.

 
I'm not totally sure that Lewis Hall is a sure thing actually but he does now have some experience at this level.

I'm certainly not convinced about this guy. I wasn't particularly enamoured with the original target Maxi Araujo but at least I could see the appeal as a LWB. This appears to be an even weaker choice.
I agree on Lewis Hall. Eddie Howe has improved him but his defence remains his weak point. Lacks a defender's instincts. As at Chelsea. Very effective going forward.

 
16M++ for a backup LB that seems to be the opposite of Palestra

 
I agree on Lewis Hall. Eddie Howe has improved him but his defence remains his weak point. Lacks a defender's instincts. As at Chelsea. Very effective going forward.
I see him like Cucurella - can be great going forward, can be great defensively, but very, very rarely at the same time in the same game.

 
I can get behind it at that price. Not that 40m being thrown around weeks ago

 
So once again the figures thrown around by the ITK`s are shown to be ridiculous, and the gnashing of teeth and fury was misplaced...massive shock.

I expect this is a player Alonso has highlighted, he is the opposite of our owners targets mostly, I remember the last time we bought a relatively unknown full back for a relatively low amount....went quite well.

 
Hopefully this is just a player that has flown under the radar and turns out to be a great find rather than a player that has never been good enough for the very top.

 
Hopefully this is just a player that has flown under the radar and turns out to be a great find rather than a player that has never been good enough for the very top.
Hoping for another Dave, but watching his highlights versus Barca and Madrid his defending looks ropey.

 
In today’s market 16M is the equivalent of a free and is about as risk free as you can make a signing.

Absolutely no expectations for the lad so he can only surpass them.

 
I had never heard of him until the links to us surfaced. Looking at his career history, it seems he's worked his way up from the lower leagues over many seasons, starting with his tiny hometown club, rather than being fast-tracked through one of the "big" teams' academies. He has also apparently only been out injured for 10 days and missed one game in his entire career (according to transfermarkt... I'm guessing they have not tracked him that closely due to his low profile and may be under-reporting that), and that was 4 years ago due to COVID.

We could do with a dedicated LB, so for the modest fees being mentioned, this seems like an uncharacteristically sensible, low risk move from us.

 
Seems like a much more offensive than defensive full back. I guess Hato would be the option if we need to be more defensive on that side?

 
Bit of a head scratcher move this one. Clearly an Alonso decision imo and therefore I'll support it as I really hope he turns the club around.. I just hope we dont get caught out like scolari's sides and only able to play one style of football.

Welcome whoever you are.

 
This signing and the Palestra signing points to a back 3 imo. Pep and Palestra at wing back. Hato/Colwill/Lacroix in the middle and Rogers and Palmer in behind the striker. Caicedo's midfield partner is up for grabs though.

 
This signing and the Palestra signing points to a back 3 imo. Pep and Palestra at wing back. Hato/Colwill/Lacroix in the middle and Rogers and Palmer in behind the striker. Caicedo's midfield partner is up for grabs though.
Has to be, because I don't see Chavarria and Palestra as strong enough defensively for a back 4.

I'm hoping Alonso is flexible and switches between a back 4 and back 3 formation throughout the season. Against weaker sides, we should be confident to switch to a back 4 and put more attackers on the pitch.

 
We haven't played a back 3 yet in preseason, just a variation with one fullback bombing forward and the other tucking in.

I agree with you lot until our defenders can get some confidence, especially if it's Enzo or Barco in the pivot with Caicedo.

 
Back
Top