Prometheus - new Alien film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's nothing to do with Prometheus stealing fire from the gods, then?
No, but the name has significance if the rumours of the story Ive read are true.

 
So it's nothing to do with Prometheus stealing fire from the gods, then?
I did some Wiki reading to learn more about Prometheus. Part of his legend is the unleashing of Pandora on humankind. So maybe that's the connection?

 
All the evils in the world are the fault of a woman! (Maybe Pandora is Peter Kenyon's alter-ego?)
I had deliberately avoided mentioning the sexist part of the myth. In all tellings of it, the woman brings bad luck. :smile: On a tangent here; there was a famous mythologist named Joseph Campbell who said that female gods had an equal seat at the table until it became inconvenient for the mortal male hierarchy, at which point they began to be written out of mythologies. He mentioned that the Old Testament was particularly ruthless about it. One wonders how things would be different if women were more widely acknowledged by the world's dominant faiths? We might have a different view on how we treat our planet, for example.

 
Just got back from seeing this. Brilliant film, answers some questions and leaves you asking others which is where most of the criticism is coming from but i really enjoyed it. Isnt really a direct prequal but if youre a fan of Alien definitely go see it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure what to expect as I intentionally kept myself in the dark by not reading any reviews or articles. Visually it was great, even stunning in some parts, but I was expecting a better story. It wasn't bad, mind you, but not great either. As a whole I'd say it's a solid three stars out of five, but without the impressive visuals, I think I would've given it one star less. Well, at least it was better than Avatar.

 
I wasn't sure what to expect as I intentionally kept myself in the dark by not reading any reviews or articles. Visually it was great, even stunning in some parts, but I was expecting a better story. It wasn't bad, mind you, but not great either. As a whole I'd say it's a solid three stars out of five, but without the impressive visuals, I think I would've given it one star less. Well, at least it was better than Avatar.
What he said.

What stuck in my mind the most is Noomi Rapace running around in her skimpies. Mind you, didn't the first Alien film have something similar? Probably just a coincidence!

 
Saw it in 3d on opening night, thought it was rather good myself. Didn't really know what to expect.

The script was a bit ropey in places, but thought it lived up to the blockbuster tag!

 
What stuck in my mind the most is Noomi Rapace running around in her skimpies. Mind you, didn't the first Alien film have something similar? Probably just a coincidence!
I felt they tried too hard to make Noomi Rapace's character the new Ripley.

 
Disappointed. It was entertaining enough, but some call them unanswered questions, others call them plot holes. I'm going with the latter.

 
Disappointed. It was entertaining enough, but some call them unanswered questions, others call them plot holes. I'm going with the latter.
They're not plot holes, they're the stuff you will see in the sequel... :rolleyes:

 
Great film but nothing to do with the previous Alien movies....yet.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top