geezer
Senile old git
- Messages
- 9,174
- Reaction score
- 157
What's happened to all the radio commentators who used to paint a picture in our minds by telling the listener exactly what was happening on the pitch without any interruptions from so-called 'experts'. Used to be a guy, can't remember his name, on the old radio 5 (before 5 live) who used to do just that. Unfortunately he died at quite a young age and if I'm not mistaken, the likes of Alan frigging Green took over. Whatever the guys name was he was brilliant at letting you know where the play was whilst it was happening and at no stage did he ever offer opinion, just fact. Other examples of great commentators who could do this were John Arlott in cricket and Henry Longhurst in golf. These guys were absolute tops in being able to let you paint the picture in your mind of exactly what was happening in the tournaments they were covering and never resorted to the drivel that we listen to these days.
Whilst I'm on a minor rant I just want to have a similar pop at TV coverage too. Dear Mr Director, I do not want to see countless close ups of fans, players on the bench or managers whilst the ball is in play especially near the end of a game where the result is still undecided. Nor do I want to hear the senseless drivel of your so called experts (the same numbskulls who offer their drivel on the radio) telling me what I have already seen for myself. I do not need you to state the frigging obvious to me.
Minor rant over but someone please find a decent radio commentator who tells the game as it's played and keeps his opinion to himself, saving it for the aftermatch phone ins.
Whilst I'm on a minor rant I just want to have a similar pop at TV coverage too. Dear Mr Director, I do not want to see countless close ups of fans, players on the bench or managers whilst the ball is in play especially near the end of a game where the result is still undecided. Nor do I want to hear the senseless drivel of your so called experts (the same numbskulls who offer their drivel on the radio) telling me what I have already seen for myself. I do not need you to state the frigging obvious to me.
Minor rant over but someone please find a decent radio commentator who tells the game as it's played and keeps his opinion to himself, saving it for the aftermatch phone ins.