Ruud Gullit

He and Hoddle were pivotal for the club, everything changed from then on. 

 
I watched his first game for us against Gillingham, it was incredible. Everything was frantic as usual in a pre season, but he seemed to have a freakish ability to always have time, it was so odd to watch. Everyone was charging around, he gets the ball island everything just stopped, he would serenely control the ball then bang a 40 yarder cross pitch pass straight to someone's foot. I was in awe.

 
It was a very exciting time for the club.

Gullit, Vialli, Zola et al.
Fantastic time. Gullit was a bit like Hoddle with pace. 

I saw him in the 88 Euros when he effectively ended Kenny Samsom's International career. Time and time again he bombed past him like he was walking in treacle.

 
He made football look easy - like a man playing against boys at times.  Those pitches haha!

 
That first season he was with us, he was spectacular. The best player I have EVER seen in a Chelsea shirt. 

And what wouldn't we give now to have a centre-forward like Mark Hughes?

 
My fav game with Ruud was the 3v1 win against spuds. Matthew Harding memorial game (well, first game after the tragedy). Ruud was player manager at the time, and a class act as always, even scoring the first.

Also love that in a team with Di Matteo, Ruud, Wise and Vialli, that our penalty taker that day was Rodney!

 
Happy 60th Birthday! 

Fbi-hPeXgAYUDVt


 
Back
Top