STATS
First Team Regular
- Messages
- 2,063
- Reaction score
- 1,939
He has not produced good numbers imo. He is in the best team in the league and arguably Europe. He produced 11 league goals. Yes, he has not always played in his favoured position, but I think with the amount of minutes Alvarez has played this season, hiis output should be a lot better.Been played at CAM or at wing this season and still produced some good numbers.
We are the English club linked.
Proven? Really? He has had 2 seasons in England and not exactly scored bagful of goals. He scored more goals last season than his first season in England but imo he was a lot more clinical and played better in his first season. Last season I watched him closely and he was underwhelming. I am not just talking about when played in CAM or out wide, I am talking when playing up front, he rarely took his chances. I remember when Haaland was ruled out against Luton earlier this season and I watched the whole game and he rarely posed a threat to the Luton goal.Looking at the options and quality for value, 70m for Alvarez doesn't seem too bad.
Proven PL finisher who works very well in tight areas.
I don't mean this as a dig, but I can half-guarantee that anyone calling for Alvarez to be signed, did not watch him last season and are just calling his name because he plays for City and is a fancy name because he was well below-par, last season. He had a chance to prove himself up front against Forest in the latter stages of the season too as Haaland was recovering from another injury that he occurred and again he barely was involved. He did not score and then Haaland was brought on in second half and then showed how it was done. When he played against us in the FA Cup semi-final as the main CF, he barely posed a threat all game.
They played Villa in the league at home where Alvarez was in the CF position again and Foden was the star of the show, scoring a hattrick. Alvarez was barely involved. In fact the one game I saw Alvarez this season and he looked really good was against Burnley where he scored 2 really good goals but that is Burnley who probably had the worst defensive record alongside Sheffield United. I am just pointing out when people say he was not played in his best position, he had multiple games where he played up front as Haaland was injured/rested a few games last season and he was not convincing at all and I think he struggled as the lone man striker.
Jackson is frustrating, however on evidence from what I have seen last season, Alvarez would not do any better than Jackson did.