so this new muse track (fao mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3.7

deluded elitist
Messages
5,780
Reaction score
1,311
I presume you've heard it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S83tuz8000 (united states of eurasia)

it's a bit like...queen. with what sounds like some north african style music mixed in.

I'm not convinced by it, but I do like that they take risks- still seems an odd choice for the first single.

it might grow on me, and I don't hate queen... but... it feels wrong on first listen.

heard a bit of uprising which sounds a bit like an electro version of something like space dementia (the intro anyway), which I like, but supposedly matt raps in it... which'll be odd.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
f**king cringeworthy, I didn't even make it to the end of that track!

I was hoping this album would have been more Absolution'esque than Blackholes after hearing rumours of 3 part 20 min symphony and all that!

I hope that track isn't a base for the rest of the album. Blackholes had a few duds on it, lets hope that song is a dud for the new album.

It seems Matt's political and conspiracy views is leaking too much in their music, and it is starting to get on my tits a bit?

sh*t, I hope the rest of the album is better, that song was f**king awful.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
heh- it's not grown on me yet... although It's still better than soldier's poem! maybe it'll work better in the album (it won't).

dunno about matt's songwriting- the music is usually always great, the songwriting can vary- I can't take his politics (aside from map of the problematique) or conspiracy theories seriously (I try to look at them as a bit of fun), but I agree- I think usually the better tracks are the more "personal" ones as far as songwriting goes.

I liked black holes' more than absolution (even though it's probably more patchy)- I like the dance and synth influences, I don't think they'll go back to the origin / absolution style, at least not for a while.

 
There is a 30 second teaser of the first song on the album, called 'uprising' (ignore Zane Lowe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJCm-6La6Q

Definitely keeping with some electro and that is meant to be the 'rapping' one :)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
yeah that's the clip I heard- can't tell if it's actually matt rapping or lowe being a twat over the top of the track.

 
god thats awful, what the hell has gone wrong with them. that song is ridiculously pretentious, i really wish bands like muse would just stick to what they do best. another one worth listening to just to laugh at the obvious ripping off of old bands is the new enemy one. its an absolute joke how badly they have just basically copied old jam songs. stupid little dwarfs...

 
Hmm that clip from Zane Lowe sounds like a decent tune (with their signature dirty bass line), but also very much sounds like Goldfrapp.

Still, hard to tell from that clip, not sure about the Queen sounding track though, bit too camp for my liking, although bits of it are still catchy.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm like you G4, the track is growing on me.

Also it appears that Matt is a fan of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or at least the music, check out 24 seconds in:

 
Im gonna wade into this discussion though my knowledge of Muse stems mainly fron the "Absoltuion"/"Origin" days

I only have a few tracks from 'Black Holes...' but the vocals reminded me alot of that. Whoever used the word campy had it right on, and Im a little disappointed by it. Queen is a very obvious comparison for certain parts, but more than that, those lyrics seem like they have all the intellectual complexity of open mic night at a coffee shop.

However, I will say, the music itself I love. Maybe the North African element to it is a bit much, and reminds me a little much of "Black Holes" kind of stuff, but I love the way they blend earth shattering guitar with stripped down piano and nothing about it sounds off or misplaced. Like the "Butterflies and Hurricanes" kind of stuff. I guess I am more partial to old Muse than their last album (which is odd, because I love synth rock, just maybe not done by them)

G4 is probably right, in that theyre not going back to their old sound. And while I always loved the heavy guitar tracks, I kind of miss stuff like "Falling Down" or "Ruled by Secrecy". I thought tracks like that made their albums so well rounded. And, to me anyway, made me think of them as very musically mature.

That clip Mod posted does sound much better though

god thats awful, what the hell has gone wrong with them. that song is ridiculously pretentious, i really wish bands like muse would just stick to what they do best. another one worth listening to just to laugh at the obvious ripping off of old bands is the new enemy one. its an absolute joke how badly they have just basically copied old jam songs. stupid little dwarfs...
Ive actually never heard that accusation before, but I was wondering if you could gimme more details. I only have a couple of Jam albums so I dont speak as an authority, but to me the two acts have always been way different. Not doubting what you are saying, I am genuinely interested in knowning more

 
I've listened to Jam much more than I have listened to Muse, but I struggle to hear the similarities.

 
Im gonna wade into this discussion though my knowledge of Muse stems mainly fron the "Absoltuion"/"Origin" daysI only have a few tracks from 'Black Holes...' but the vocals reminded me alot of that. Whoever used the word campy had it right on, and Im a little disappointed by it. Queen is a very obvious comparison for certain parts, but more than that, those lyrics seem like they have all the intellectual complexity of open mic night at a coffee shop.

However, I will say, the music itself I love. Maybe the North African element to it is a bit much, and reminds me a little much of "Black Holes" kind of stuff, but I love the way they blend earth shattering guitar with stripped down piano and nothing about it sounds off or misplaced. Like the "Butterflies and Hurricanes" kind of stuff. I guess I am more partial to old Muse than their last album (which is odd, because I love synth rock, just maybe not done by them)

G4 is probably right, in that theyre not going back to their old sound. And while I always loved the heavy guitar tracks, I kind of miss stuff like "Falling Down" or "Ruled by Secrecy". I thought tracks like that made their albums so well rounded. And, to me anyway, made me think of them as very musically mature.

That clip Mod posted does sound much better though

Ive actually never heard that accusation before, but I was wondering if you could gimme more details. I only have a couple of Jam albums so I dont speak as an authority, but to me the two acts have always been way different. Not doubting what you are saying, I am genuinely interested in knowning more
these towns is basically every jam song mushed together. this is the review from the independant which is bang on

The bafflingly popular Enemy are a band with their heart in the right place but an inability to express themselves in anything other than the most clichéd and graceless ways.From the opening "Elephant Song" which, in title and sound, echoes the Stone Roses, lad-rock signifiers abound and their entire social-realist lexicon is borrowed from the Specials, the Clash and New Model Army.

Music for the People has all the beauty and charm of kicking-out time at Wetherspoon's.
and the NME`s is even harsher. have you listened to the new album yet?

 
Now I'm confused...what do the Muse and Enemy have in common?

 
Now I'm confused...what do the Muse and Enemy have in common?
sorry, thats my fault. i mentioned the enemys new album as being a rip off. back on topic we go then...

 
sorry, thats my fault. i mentioned the enemys new album as being a rip off. back on topic we go then...
No...my apologies. I read some of the posts too hastily and started wondering why we're talking about the Enemy all of a sudden. Pardon! ;)

 
That ballad is truly awful and I prefer the old Dr Who theme tune.

 
I heard the full 'Uprising', it is the tits! Now looking forward to the album again!

 
I really like that full length clip. Anyone else hear the riff of 'White Wedding' played with the synth in the background during the chorus? Took me a minute to get it :D

sorry, thats my fault. i mentioned the enemys new album as being a rip off. back on topic we go then...
Its actually me who has got to read more closely. Sorry about that. I glossed over the part about 'the enemy' in there and leapt to conclusions. Sorry about that

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top