Songs That Have Special Significance/Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldiergirl84

Who cares? *turns on SSN*
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
114
What songs have special meaning for you, or bring back specific memories, for whatever reason?

For me it's

(Don't make fun of me) I think of when my ex and I got back together, and how we would be engaged if it wasn't for the reasons we were broken up. When we got back together, we had mended our relationship, we just couldn't be together for other reasons. Now I think of my fiance and I, the adventure we're about to embark upon, and how we're hoping to prove the naysayers wrong.
That's just a few that I can think of right now.

 
Wow!  I'm going to post one that will always be a firm favourite with me.

During the miners' strike I lived in the Tory heartland of England, and this song helped me to put up with their cries of jubilation when the strike was broken


 
I'm not really a fan of Green Day but this was played at my Godmother's funeral after she topped herself:


 
Is it me? So much music has painful association even many years later. The duchess and I were discussing the double edged sword that is Valentine's day earlier and tunes associated with love and heartbreak.

Two tunes have bitter sweet feelings for me as they remind me of two dear pals no longer with us.

I also despise the dreadful, commercial Christmas tunes as they remind me of my lonely Christmases past.

My tune of hope and encouragement was always Elvis' 'If I Can Dream'. Not sure why, I think the lyrics touched me at a time I needed it.

 
My dad died on the evening that England got knocked out of the world cup in 1998 and Three Lions was everywhere.  As I've said before, dad was a massive sports fan and everytime I hear that song I am in tears - I'm welling up now just thinking of it.  

The other one that gets me because of the nostalgia and memories of both mum and dad (and the rest of the family, all enjoying Morecambe and Wise) is Bring Me Sunshine - again it has me in tears each time.  I curse Chris Evans for starting to play it every Friday morning!

It's weird when  seemingly innocuous songs such as those can provoke tears, rather than the melancholy ones.

 
My dad died on the evening that England got knocked out of the world cup in 1998 and Three Lions was everywhere.  As I've said before, dad was a massive sports fan and everytime I hear that song I am in tears - I'm welling up now just thinking of it.  

The other one that gets me because of the nostalgia and memories of both mum and dad (and the rest of the family, all enjoying Morecambe and Wise) is Bring Me Sunshine - again it has me in tears each time.  I curse Chris Evans for starting to play it every Friday morning!

It's weird when  seemingly innocuous songs such as those can provoke tears, rather than the melancholy ones.
I'm with you BQ, I couldn't even type the two songs that remind me of my pals. Music is emotive and confusing when an upbeat tune brings tears. Spunds like you and your pa had a good relationship :)
 
Aww Droog - I feel for you.  You obviously miss your friends and they meant a lot to you.  That sounds rather trite but I don't know how else to put it.

It's funny how it's subconscious often.  There could be loads of songs that remind me of my dad - he was a big musical fan and we often used to watch them together, all the old Rodgers and Hammerstein, Fred and Ginger and Frank Sinatra ones.  So any of those could, and do to an extent, remind me of him but it is those two that get to me.  

A nice note to end on though - my 21 year old son has just discovered the old musicals - and I go with him to watch Chelsea - my old man would be proud!

 
The Duchess is playing Good Morning Starshine (Hair) to add some cheer :)

 
'Anyone Who Had A Heart' reminds me of my Mum being very upset (years later and still now when the subject comes up) about the Aberfan disaster. I think it's because they played the song years ago on a documentary about the events. My Mum never cries and it was a shock to see her so upset.

 
'Anyone Who Had A Heart' reminds me of my Mum being very upset (years later and still now when the subject comes up) about the Aberfan disaster. I think it's because they played the song years ago on a documentary about the events. My Mum never cries and it was a shock to see her so upset.
50 year anniversary next year, still shakes me to the core.

 
I have many, and it all depends on the setting I suppose, as to what one rings truest at that moment.I will say, however, that music evokes the strongest emotions in me.  I can be moved by dance, and theatre, and art...but music can evoke happiness, energy, sadness, joy.  It's no wonder that even terminal grumpy-pants Schopenhauer even thought music was the greatest of the arts.

Currently, when I think of my wife and our little girl, the song that hits home the most is Otis Redding's "That's how Strong My Love is."

No idea why, but the following verse really stuck with me as I looked at a picture of my wife cuddling our wee one.  My wife who, during a bout of depression never thought that she'd be capable of loving, or being a mother...she's now amazing and so filled with love that it makes me very happy:

I'll be the weeping willow drowning in my tears
And you can go swimming when you are here
I'll be the rainbow after the tears are gone 
Wrap you in my colors and keep you warm


 
I listened to Levels by Avicii throughout the best summer of my life (3 years ago) and whenever I listen to it I get happy memories.

 
I wouldn't say any have particularly special meaning for me. But the closest is probably:



For a couple of reasons

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a Keane fan at all, but that song is amazing!

 


Quite a random one but I think it was in December 2009 when it snowed really heavily and caused chaos across the country. It took me about six hours to get home from work that night.

I left for work the next morning and I still vividly remember the walk I took, seeing the whole of Reading just covered in snow and cars left dumped all over the place because, like me, they couldn't get anywhere the night before.

Why this song? It was playing on my iPod as I was walking!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
The song I can't handle hearing anymore is wires by athlete. My little girl was a few days old and was in the special care unit with all kinds of wires connected to her as she was born 6 weeks premature and was tiny. I was driving through to see her and the song came on, I had to pull over as I was crying my eyes out as it all just hit me.

 
Oh bloody hell dkw - no wonder you can't listen to it.  You know that it was written in exactly the same circumstances don't you?

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top