Songs That Have Special Significance/Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think tunes evoke more bad memories than good? I suppose it's the life one has had, or the intensity of a particular experience.

 
Oh bloody hell dkw - no wonder you can't listen to it.  You know that it was written in exactly the same circumstances don't you?
I didn't at the time, I had heard the song so many times and hadnt even noticed the lyrics.

 
Do you think tunes evoke more bad memories than good? I suppose it's the life one has had, or the intensity of a particular experience.
I'd say sad rather than bad memories.  I don't know that it's more in number but they seem to be more intense.  

OK let's try some happy ones then:

D.I.S.C.O by Ottowan - first holiday abroad with my friend in Ibiza - it was everywhere!  Loads of songs remind me of this friend as we were together throughout our school years - in fact she tagged me on Facebook only this morning to remind me of walking all over town trying to buy Good Thing Going by Sugar Minott before it became big - it had been going round our bars for months before it got radio play and we couldn't find anywhere to buy it.  Oh and Bobby Brown by Frank Zappa - same holiday in Ibiza it was played every night in one bar and a camp guy in drag mimed to it - it didn't seem weird at the time but it does now I write it!  In fact there are so many songs from my late teens which can instantly transport me back to a basement wine bar (how cool did we think that was!) and all the blokes we fancied and all the dramas that went with teenage life!

Mr Brightside - don't particularly like the Killers but when I hear this I always think of singing it with my daughter and my friend at V at the top of our voices.

Rat Trap - always reminds me of my brother who used to do a brilliant Bob Geldof impression.

42nd street - when we went to New York our apartment was on 42nd street and I sang this all the time.

I could go on.......

 
Sad is a better word yes. It seems happier tune memories are associated with when we're young and the world is in front of us. Your life sounds fun!

 
Snow Patrol- Chasing cars

My best friend who I've known since we were 5 told me recently that she always thinks of me when this song comes on.

I rarely get emotional, but that hit me.

 
I keep  waiting for Blueblur to post the song that was playing when he lost his virginity!

 
I have a couple more-

(Don't make fun of me)
I heard this over the PA at the Chelsea match I went to in 2013, whilst the guys were warming up.  It was also kind of appropriate as well, since I was also celebrating the last year of my twenties, and I realised that I still have a lot of living to do.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top