Stand-Up Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulo

real down to mars
Messages
2,584
Reaction score
535
I am wondering how many of the regulars here follow or have ever kept up with it..

I got started watching old Dave Chappelle ( who I think is the baddest man alive to touch the microfone ) special and his show on Comedy Central.

Which led me to Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor etc. Unfortunately there aren't many comedians currently that interest me apart from Kevin Hart.

The old Def Comedy Jam All-Star shows are fantastic aswell, but unfortunately I can't seem to find them anywhere.

 
Love stand up.

I've seen Jimmy Carr twice, Al Murray, Lee Mack and tonight I'm going to see Lee Evans for the fourth time. Really excited.

I thought Eddie Murphy's stand up was hilarious! "WE GOT MCDOOOONALDS"

 
Bill Hicks is an obvious recommendation for anybody who hasn't seen his stuff, Mitch Hedburg too, both of whom died too young.

A few non-dead comedians that I really enjoy include Louis CK, Doug Stanhope, Stewart Lee and Demetri Martin.

Probably the funniest routine I've seen for ages is Todd Barry's The Crowd Work Tour that's being sold for $5 on Loius CK's website. It's very unusual in that he has no pre-written jokes and spends the whole time doing what comedians call 'crowd work', i.e. chatting with the audience and taking the piss out of them. He's brilliant and it's well worth the paltry $5 to download.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
George Carlin - my favourite of all time. Closely followed by a number who have been mentioned already; Louis CK, Mitch Hedburg, Bill Hicks. 

 
I've never been to a professional stand-up gig, but have been to plenty of pub ones (and even performed once!) as I used to regularly watch a friend who fancied himself as a comedian.

 
I've always been a huge fan of Tim Vine and Lee Mack. It's even better when they work together. 

 
I've been to see Jimmy Carr and Rhod Gilbert in Reading. My favourite gig I've been to though is Greg Davies, Mr. Gilbert from The Inbetweeners if you've never heard of him. I've never laughed so much.

I've got tickets for Russell Howard in December and Michael McIntyre next year. The guy I really want to see though is Dara O'Briain, I love his DVD's!

 
More of a sit-down comedian, Dave Allen was brilliant. I loved Billy Connolly's stuff in the mid-70's, also Jasper Carrott and Bob Newhart, while Bob Monkhouse was apparently a great stand-up comic though I wasn't lucky enough to see him live.

Funniest I've ever seen on stage though was Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson, absolutely had me creased up every time I saw him!

 
Bill Hicks is an obvious recommendation for anybody who hasn't seen his stuff, Mitch Hedburg too, both of whom died too young.

A few non-dead comedians that I really enjoy include Louis CK, Doug Stanhope, Stewart Lee and Demetri Martin.

Probably the funniest routine I've seen for ages is Todd Barry's The Crowd Work Tour that's being sold for $5 on Loius CK's website. It's very unusual in that he has no pre-written jokes and spends the whole time doing what comedians call 'crowd work', i.e. chatting with the audience and taking the piss out of them. He's brilliant and it's well worth the paltry $5 to download.
Todd Barry is amazing, he was just in my town recently and I was really sad I couldn't go see him again.

 
I love good stand-up. My favourite comedian is Jim Norton. However, little Jimmy doesn't hold back and his "style" (or content if you will) may not be for some. I've seen Jimmy twice, haven't been disappointed either time.

There are a good handful of others that I enjoy such as Louis C.K., Bill Burr, Colin Quinn, John Leguizamo, Bob Sagat to rattle off a few.

 
TJ Miller is very funny, seen him in LA once, and he is still young, so hopefully his best years are ahead of him. Like a few posters before me have pointed out, Louis CK is the cream of the crop, and Bill Burr does extremely funny stand.

In the vein of Burr and CK, Anthony Jesselnik is a very brash comedian and is definitely one you should get into. Also he is a good option for you as it seems you like the controversial stuff that Chapelle does.

Tim & Eric are the weirdest comedy duo ever and if you really want to get experimental, you should check their show out and their movie. They definitely require some getting used to and you need to realize how ridiculous they are being but they will grow on you and are fantastic and there is a reason why they are able to get so many successful actors to do sketches and live shows with.

I also find the Key and Peele show on Comedy Central to be very good. I never really liked either comedian when they made guest appearances on other shows but they are fantastic together on this one. Here's my favorite clip from the series:


 
Last edited by a moderator:
More of a sit-down comedian, Dave Allen was brilliant. I loved Billy Connolly's stuff in the mid-70's, also Jasper Carrott and Bob Newhart, while Bob Monkhouse was apparently a great stand-up comic though I wasn't lucky enough to see him live.

Funniest I've ever seen on stage though was Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson, absolutely had me creased up every time I saw him!
My dad used to have a load of Dave Allen's stand up routines on VHS as a kid and I used to love watching them when nobody was looking, Dave Allen was probably my first exposure to stand-up comedy. I really need to re-watch some of his stuff as an adult because I'm sure a lot of the jokes would have gone over my head...

Todd Barry is amazing, he was just in my town recently and I was really sad I couldn't go see him again.
I've only ever seen that one episode of his Crowd Work Tour from Louis CK's website but I'm keen to see more of his stuff. Living in the UK I doubt I'll get the chance to see him live any time soon, I'd love to see him do the Crowd Work thing live but I know I'd be sh*tting my pants every time he glanced in my direction.

 
I have seen a few over the years.

Billy Connolly as far as I am concerned was the king in the UK.saw hm twice.

List I have seen recently

Lee Mack - Okay

Pub Landlord - Love him but wans't as good as I seen him in previous years

Michael Mcityre - give or take him on the tele but brilliant live. I was doubled up.

Mickey Flanagan - twice now and he is my new favorite. so funny.

Going to see John Bishop for my birthday in November, I think he might be quite good if I can look past the accent and the football team 

Really want to see Peter Kay

 
I've been to see Alan Carr, Stephen K. Amos, Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre and Reginald D. Hunter from memory. I want to see the Pub Landlord though.

 
I've seen Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr live, really want to see Rhod Gilbert/Sean Lock/Ross Noble next. 

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top