The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m not sure I will even bother simply because Christian Bale totally ruined the last one with his annoying change in voice to a grunty thing when Batman.
I will watch it as Batman has always been my favourite super hero. However, I agree on this. I have even heard the villain in the new batman is practically inaudible and even more frustrating to listen to because of the mask!

For me growing up and watching Adam West as Batman on TV, running around p[lay fighting and shouting "BAM!" etc, magic has been lost with the last 3 films I feel. I loved the sillyness of it all. Action, jokes and the small bit of drama made for a great hero. Even the films in the 90s had a funny side to them and didnt take itself too seriously.

Whilst Christopher Nolan is a fantastic director I think the latest ones are far too dark, long winded and serious to feel like the real batman. I am excited to see who picks it up next over the years and reinvents it.

I am still excited to see the latest one, but for me the old school batman and films will always be better.

 
I really like the dark bully Batman but what spoilt this one for me is so little of the film happens at night when Batman is in his element. Another thing that bugs me about this run of films as well as the previous batch is too many crowd scenes and explosions. The sound was awful and I look forward to seeing it on DVD with subtitles believe it or not, just to try and tidy up loose ends.

As Zola says above let see what comes next, it'll be difficult to better these three films.

 
I really like the dark bully Batman but what spoilt this one for me is so little of the film happens at night when Batman is in his element. Another thing that bugs me about this run of films as well as the previous batch is too many crowd scenes and explosions. The sound was awful and I look forward to seeing it on DVD with subtitles believe it or not, just to try and tidy up loose ends.

As Zola says above let see what comes next, it'll be difficult to better these three films.
I can't understand how what you say in your first paragraph leads you to the conclusion that it will be difficult to better these three films.

 
I can't understand how what you say in your first paragraph leads you to the conclusion that it will be difficult to better these three films.
Hard to put into words but I'll try. As far as a depiction of Batman goes, for me these three are by far the best when compared to the Keaton/Cluny/Kilmar ones which at the time were good but a million miles away from the Adam West one (and series) but that's because I like the dark and moody Batman the same as I prefer him this way in the comics which I do still read from time to time. Jack Nicholson was praised at the time for his Joker only to be blown away by Heath Ledger a few years ago so yes maybe if and when they do start remaking Batman they may well be better, be it story lines, effects, etc but will they capture the mood of the Batman I like here, who knows.

Regarding the crowd scenes they are in every film which I suppose they have to be to make it a blockbuster but I prefer crime fighting to be a bit more one on one without whole streets full of extras acting badly involved. I don't want to spoil the current film for those who haven't seen it to illustrate my point but there are a few in this one which I really don't like. At the same time the Arkham gas scene in Batman Begins was great.

It's a bit like war films, notice how few come out these days because after Saving Private Ryan (and Band of Brothers to a point) I'd say directors are scared of trying to better the depiction of war illustrated in that film and series and if they do come close they'll get accused of copying.

Whoever does try and do Batman again will be up against it and if they pull it off then great, I'll be more than happy.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just woke up to hear what happened in Colorado at the midnight showing. That is awful. I hate people sometimes.

 
I really like the dark bully Batman but what spoilt this one for me is so little of the film happens at night when Batman is in his element.
I think that was intentional - Bane said he was born in darkness so it wouldn't make a difference to him whether it's day or night, where as Batman clearly prefers night so Bane was taking him out of his comfort zone by having it in the day.

Saw it this morning, while unfortunately it's not as good The Dark Knight, it's still absolutely epic and rounds off a truly spectacular trilogy. Loved it.

 
I think that was intentional - Bane said he was born in darkness so it wouldn't make a difference to him whether it's day or night, where as Batman clearly prefers night so Bane was taking him out of his comfort zone by having it in the day.

Saw it this morning, while unfortunately it's not as good The Dark Knight, it's still absolutely epic and rounds off a truly spectacular trilogy. Loved it.
Fair point, difficult to understand anything Bane says in the first hour though!

 
Though the story line was obvious, and some scenes rather silly, i enjoyed it.

 
Very good movie and an impressive trilogy. Not a big fan of scifi or superheroes(a la DC comics) but the way Batman is portrayed in these movies I love it. Love the gadgets and the fact those things could actually work(vs. Spiderman with the bite and throwing that goo from his hands). More relatable than some scifi from some nerds head.

I rate this(trilogy) on par with Bourne-trilogy that I just love.

If you loved the first two you'll love this too. Go and see it!

 
Not bad but the weakest of the three. It just lacked that little bit of subtlety. Superhero films are always better when you leave that little bit for the audience, rather than spelling everything out.

 
Watched is yesterday, quite good... Bane was a great villain but his voice was annoying in parts.

Good way to seal off the trilogy from Nolan, so not too bad all in all!

Who will be the next Batman? Hopefully the Riddler makes an appearance in the next one!

 
Fitting end to a trilogy that was trying too hard but never quite managed to fulfill the potential. And yeah...

***SPOILER ALERT***

Robin? Really? REALLY?

 
Thought that was cheesy also, he may not even be the actor who plays Robin if the next director doesn't fancy him for the job.

 
Thought that was cheesy also, he may not even be the actor who plays Robin if the next director doesn't fancy him for the job.
He likely won't be. 99% the next Batman movie is a reboot of the series.

I really enjoyed it (just got out of it a little bit ago). This series will always be "Batman" to me and most of my generation I feel like. While this was clearly not as good as TDK, I still enjoyed it immensely, and I liked the Robin wink at the end, although in my mind, he would actually be putting on a more familiar suit...

Also, in regards to a certain female in the movie, I called her role the second I heard she was cast! I felt like quite the dork explaining that to my girlfriend.

 
All I have to say about this movie is: WOW.

What a great movie this was, a absolute masterpiece by Nolan. The best movie I've seen in a really really long time.

SPOILER ALERT

Robin and Batman is the next movie then I take it, will Bale be playing Batman once again?

 
All I have to say about this movie is: WOW.

What a great movie this was, a absolute masterpiece by Nolan. The best movie I've seen in a really really long time.

SPOILER ALERT

Robin and Batman is the next movie then I take it, will Bale be playing Batman once again?
In regards to your spoiler question, probably not. That series is basically over. The next Batman will likely be a reboot of the series with a new director, new Batman, new style. Or come in with Batman already established and tell the Robin / Nightwing / Red Hood story?

This sounds great: http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/07/5-ideas-for-the-inevitable-new-batman-movie-trilogy/#page/2

 
I thought it was decent, but a few things annoyed me. Bane was brilliant, though. Absolutely perfect through most of the film except for one thing.

Bane shouldn't have died like that. Getting shot, it just seemed... cheap... a great character like that deserved more I felt.

Also, in one of the comic book arcs, Robin replaces the Batman after Batman dies. I think that's more likely than anything, but as people have said, the next one will be a different reboot. This is the Batman of the films, but I will always think of the Batman from the cartoons. Mark Hamill as the Joker and the like.
 
The way it ended though, Robin finding the cave and Bruce Wayne being still alive, as he did indeed use the autopilot to blow up the bomb and to the fact that Robin knows batmans identity already - seems way too good to not build on it!
 
I thought it was decent, but a few things annoyed me. Bane was brilliant, though. Absolutely perfect through most of the film except for one thing.

Bane shouldn't have died like that. Getting shot, it just seemed... cheap... a great character like that deserved more I felt.

Also, in one of the comic book arcs, Robin replaces the Batman after Batman dies. I think that's more likely than anything, but as people have said, the next one will be a different reboot. This is the Batman of the films, but I will always think of the Batman from the cartoons. Mark Hamill as the Joker and the like.
Completely agree with you in your Spoiler. I think that the next series may look at the development of Robin, The evolution of Batgirl and her turning into Oracle, etc. I just hope they keep it "Dark!"

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top