The Ultimate Pop Song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this one's already been done, but this takes me straight back to the mid sixties, when students didn't have tellies, so we all congregated in the Students' Union to watch Top of the Pops, when it was still a good programme.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think we went to the same "Discos" in the 70's Steve :D

 
this is ridiculous - 50 uploaded, and hundreds more that could be - but I won't :D

 
I was really admiring your taste, Blubeard, until you posted Paul Macartney and Wings.

Here's an antidote

 
I was really admiring your taste, Blubeard, until you posted Paul Macartney and Wings.
Ah, don't be misled by that, moi. I've never been a fan of Paul McCartney, but that particular track brings back happy memories of the time, if you know what I mean :169: - the same goes for a few of the others I posted. The Middle Of The Road clip brings back lots of memories too - I'd forgotten what a babe that lead singer was! :wub:

Nice to see T.Rex there, but to be honest I'd stopped listening to them by 1972 - the last record of theirs I liked was "Children Of The Revolution", and it was around this time that I started to get into heavier stuff like Pink Floyd, Deep Purple & Black Sabbath.

 
The Middle Of The Road clip brings back lots of memories too - I'd forgotten what a babe that lead singer was! :wub:
Got a vague memory I actual saw them live, back in the days when 30-45 minutes was a night's work. Did you post Chickory Tip Steve? All glitter and gold on TOTP for Son of my Father, and bunch of guitar fiends live they used to play a mean version of Born to be Wild as did Slade.

T Rex hit the fan after Get it On/Jeepster

 
Did you post Chickory Tip Steve? All glitter and gold on TOTP for Son of my Father, and bunch of guitar fiends live they used to play a mean version of Born to be Wild as did Slade.T Rex hit the fan after Get it On/Jeepster
Guilty as charged, Tim. Are you sure you're not getting Chicory Tip mixed up with Sweet? Sweet were a heavy rock band when they played live, though their performances on TOTP were hilarious.

I only ask because I've vivid memories of taking some old sort out in Croydon, and thought we'd go up market - so we ended up in the Purley Orchid (Cinderella Rockefellas). The evening was going well, and I was just beginning to chill out a bit when I had one of the worst experiences of my life.

The DJ stopped playing soul & reggae in order for the live 'band' to come on - you guessed it, Chicory Tip. By f**k they were awful!!! Back then they had a revolving stage in the Orchid, so after a while it started turning and everyone thought "thank f**k, they've finished", but then the band came back into view and carried on playing. I've come out in a cold sweat just remembering that evening - which came to a climax when they covered 'Hi Ho Silver Lining'. Without doubt the worst live band I've ever experienced - and I've seen some sh*te over the years! Why didn't we leave? f**k that, I'd paid for both of us to get in the place, a small fortune in those days and I was only on an apprentices wage (my Scottish side showing itself there, maybe?) :169:

Maybe I just caught them on a bad night? Never went back to the Orchid again though - who knows what act might have appeared, Bay City Rollers, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Little Jimmy Osmond.... :wub:

 
Bluebeard, since you are clearly a connoisseur of good music (and now I've discovered you have Scottish blood you've risen even higher in my esteem) can you find me a Youtube of Thin Lizzy singing Randolph?

 
Bluebeard, since you are clearly a connoisseur of good music (and now I've discovered you have Scottish blood you've risen even higher in my esteem) can you find me a Youtube of Thin Lizzy singing Randolph?
You clearly have impeccable taste yourself :wub:

This is the best I could find, I'm afraid...

 
found some more now I've been back into YouTube - see what you've done now, moi? :wub:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top