yorkleyblue
Plastic Professor of Knowitall at the Sky Universi
- Messages
- 8,295
- Reaction score
- 6,511
Given all that has been written about The Wire, in this forum and all over the media, I was so looking forward to the BBC showing the program from episode 1.
I have recorded the first two weeks and started to watch last week. I am up to Episode 4.
Now then, I have reservations.
When Hill Street Blues hit the screen, it was immediately and electrically compelling, so much so that my whole weekend was f**ked if I missed an episode. The same applied to the first few series of Homicide, Life On The Streets and NYPD Blue (though both of those went downhill after a few series.)
In a similar way, but obviously differently, ER and The West Wing were equally compulsive, not to be missed viewing, and still are, although ER had a sticky patch in the middle when their main characters were too weak to carry the show.
From all that had been written about The Wire, I was expecting at least the same level of instant impact. This is, after all, a program that has been described as "The Best Televison Series EVER made".
I don't want to be mis-understood here, this is still very very good television, but, for me, so far, with my, admittedly, limited amount of viewing, it does not have the "f**k ME, that was f**kING amazing" factor.
So, I have a question for all of the forum members who were raving about The Wire in various threads.
Does it get better later on? Does it have that WOW, unmissable-ness? Does it take me to places that demand I spend huge slices of the next day talking about each episode with equally addicted work colleagues?
Or is it a bit of "Emperor's New Clothes?"
I have recorded the first two weeks and started to watch last week. I am up to Episode 4.
Now then, I have reservations.
When Hill Street Blues hit the screen, it was immediately and electrically compelling, so much so that my whole weekend was f**ked if I missed an episode. The same applied to the first few series of Homicide, Life On The Streets and NYPD Blue (though both of those went downhill after a few series.)
In a similar way, but obviously differently, ER and The West Wing were equally compulsive, not to be missed viewing, and still are, although ER had a sticky patch in the middle when their main characters were too weak to carry the show.
From all that had been written about The Wire, I was expecting at least the same level of instant impact. This is, after all, a program that has been described as "The Best Televison Series EVER made".
I don't want to be mis-understood here, this is still very very good television, but, for me, so far, with my, admittedly, limited amount of viewing, it does not have the "f**k ME, that was f**kING amazing" factor.
So, I have a question for all of the forum members who were raving about The Wire in various threads.
Does it get better later on? Does it have that WOW, unmissable-ness? Does it take me to places that demand I spend huge slices of the next day talking about each episode with equally addicted work colleagues?
Or is it a bit of "Emperor's New Clothes?"