The 1960s and 1970s was before my days of getting me hands dirty etc etc . I came along from the start of the Casuals,trendys or flickheads as we was known back then . Basically if you was from the other team and wore club colours we never got involved ,but if you was ever clocked wearing the branded clothing then that alone was enough to warrant a smack in your gob or a beating of various accounts .we went over to QPR v Spurs in the late 60s and the level.of violence that day was sickening
One of our very well known faces flew past me on the down escalator and launched a two footed kick to the back of a young boys head simply because he was wearing a spurs scarf. Single fans were picked off in the cross passages between platforms by Chelsea and beaten. . If I think about why I was there it's because of what others have said, the sense of belonging and togetherness and well, being Chelsea I suppose. I anticipated a bit of fighting but only of the usual kicks up the arse stuff, and running around.
I know that other clubs were equally as bad, but to this day I can't get my head around why anyone would want to dish out that level of violence to innocent fans.. How did they justify it to themselves ?
For life of me i can never recall attacking what we deemed shirters or scarfers ,but should a said shirter or scafer did ever join in thats their issue .
i have been in punch ups and once somebody went down it was good enough for me to leave him on the floor ,but i do know and havd seen lads mates then go in with the boot once a chap is down . I never lost no sleep over that but i could never kick anyone who is allready down ,maybe if i had knocked him down and i did not want him to Get back up and muller me i will give him a couple of volleys .
For sure i havd been knocked down a few times and my first reaction was to allways curl up in a tight ball shape protecting my head and face . I found that the more lads that was ever trying to kick the hell out of me when i was curled up the better ( derby ,York ,Barnsley, ) . Its like a frenzy of trainers all kicking you left right and centre with no real aim and they are basically fighting each other to inflict pain on you .
Now if there was only say two lads kicking the hell out of me i would have come out alot Worse for sure ,since they can havd far more controlled kicking towrads my head and face .Thank god i never went throu that and my still good looks back me up on that .
i allways found the most quite ones within our smallish mob was the worrying ones as they were the ones that would carry a blade at times ,Something that never quite sat with me .