Way before Rory Delap.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Carefree MoFo
Messages
12,945
Reaction score
9,850
There was Hutch!

Here he is getting ready to unleash one.

daily%20(249).jpg


 
Scott, Hutch was one of my Chelsea Idols and i think its very sad he's never recognised by the club in the way some of our great players over the years have . He was a fearless player , big , strong and great in the air. I'd love to see a tribute to him in some way from the club but i doubt that so maybe we should leave it up to all of us. I have no doubt he's always in the thoughts of Chelsea fans and is never forgotton.

 
Scott, Hutch was one of my Chelsea Idols and i think its very sad he's never recognised by the club in the way some of our great players over the years have . He was a fearless player , big , strong and great in the air. I'd love to see a tribute to him in some way from the club but i doubt that so maybe we should leave it up to all of us. I have no doubt he's always in the thoughts of Chelsea fans and is never forgotton.
I loved him too.

 
Let's not forget the winner in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

 
Wonderful player who was far too brave for his own good. This bravery ultimately cut his career short.

 
Wonderful player who was far too brave for his own good. This bravery ultimately cut his career short.
Did anyone see that World in Action feature on cortisone injections many years ago? It featured a team of ex-pros who'd had cortisone so that they could play through serious injury, and left them practically crippled.

Hutch was in that and his knees barely looked like knees, - they were so wrecked. He was incredibly good humoured and came across as a top, top bloke. No wonder Ossie loved him.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top man, I loved him to bits when I was a kid. I was at a match in the early 70's when he did a demonstration ( any ideas which match anyone?) throwing the ball from the middle of the pitch waaaaaaaaaay into the 18 yard box at the North Stand end.

 
Top man, I loved him to bits when I was a kid. I was at a match in the early 70's when he did a demonstration ( any ideas which match anyone?) throwing the ball from the middle of the pitch waaaaaaaaaay into the 18 yard box at the North Stand end.
Was that the long-throw competition where Hutch beat everyone else, and Malcolm MacDonald was 2nd? If so, I think it was a testimonial game (against Fulham?), possibly for Peter Houseman? Wouldn't swear to it though, long time ago!

Ian Hutchinson, one of my favourite players of all time - a true Chelsea legend :)

 
Top man, I loved him to bits when I was a kid. I was at a match in the early 70's when he did a demonstration ( any ideas which match anyone?) throwing the ball from the middle of the pitch waaaaaaaaaay into the 18 yard box at the North Stand end.
Was that the long-throw competition where Hutch beat everyone else, and Malcolm MacDonald was 2nd? If so, I think it was a testimonial game (against Fulham?), possibly for Peter Houseman? Wouldn't swear to it though, long time ago!

Ian Hutchinson, one of my favourite players of all time - a true Chelsea legend :)

 
I think Peter Housemans Testimonial was against Man Utd. I think Chelsea won 5-0. I think I was there.

I think.

 
well who the hells testimonial am I talking about?

Must have been a big name to bring Man Utd to The Bridge

 
That's the one, cheers Lofty!

Just had a look in my Ron Hockings 'bible', Chelsea won 4-1 that night with goals from Ossie (2), Webb & Hutch. Viv Busby scored for Fulham.

well who the hells testimonial am I talking about?Must have been a big name to bring Man Utd to The Bridge
While I was having a look in the 'bible' I searched for the game you mentioned and could only come up with the following: -

Eddie McCreadie's Testimonial - 1 May 1974 Chelsea 1 (Hollins) Manchester Utd 2 (Macari 2)

Obviously not the 5-0 game you mention, and to be honest I don't remember us ever beating United by that score during the 70's. Are you sure it's not a case of you went to this game and were so traumatised by Chelsea losing at home to United that you kept telling yourself that we beat them 5-0 repeatedly until it became a 'fact' in your mind? :angry: :)

United weren't really such a big draw at the time of Eddie Mac's testimonial, they'd just got themselves relegated to Div.2 (just a year before we did the same).

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top