Wayne Rooney officially the new England captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonty

Deal with it.
Messages
7,133
Reaction score
848
Well, he can't be any worse than the last one.

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/aug/roy-hodgson-appoints-wayne-rooney-new-captain

Wayne Rooney is the new England captain, manager Roy Hodgson has confirmed.

The Manchester United skipper inherits the Three Lions armband from Steven Gerrard, who retired from England duty after the World Cup.

Rooney said: “To be named as England captain is a dream come true for me personally and of course my family.

“It is something that I will take massive pride in doing.

“As a kid I always loved watching a big England game on the television. Back then I had a burning ambition to play for my country. To be appointed captain is beyond my wildest dreams.

“I would obviously like to thank Roy and the coaching staff for having the belief and confidence in me to do the job.â€

Rooney has scored 40 international goals in 95 games after making his debut in 2003, against Australia.

His first assignment as the new skipper is a match against Norway at Wembley on Wednesday 3 September, followed by the opening Euro 2016 qualifier in Switzerland on Monday 8 September.

Rooney continued: “I have played under some fantastic captains at both Manchester United and England and would hope that I have picked up some of their strongest qualities.

“I intend to speak with Steven about different aspects of the role. We had a great relationship from the moment we played together for our country and right up to our final game in Brazil. I am sure if ever I need to seek his advice he will be there to help.

“I would hope that I have the full backing of the fans, I am their type of player. My only thought is to win and give everything I have got, and that desire will be the way I want to captain the team.

“England fans have a massive role to play not just in helping me as the captain but the team as a whole.

“When our fans sing the national anthem and support us in such numbers around the world I can promise you it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

“I have always had a special feeling playing for England. I have always felt it is a huge honour and responsibility.

“I hope to pass that knowledge on with the help of the other senior players to any of the young or new caps that join us.

“I understand the honour and responsibility that comes with being the England captain. It is a privilege that mustn't be taken lightly."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to point out that Hodgson has just referred to Colback as 'The ginger Pirlo'. I also would like to announce my retirement from international football.

 
Think Cahill would be much better suited to the captaincy. The media are always on Rooneys back for sub par england performances

 
I don't mind that Cahill hasn't gotten it (yet), saves him from the witch hunt for now.

 
So they strip JT of his captaincy for being 'unfaithful' but a few years later give it to someone who pays grannies for sex. 

 
Rooney was the easiest (if not the most deserving) choice for Roy, if he had given it to anybody else it would have been seen as a snub to Rooney. Apart from Rooney, Cahill and Hart, there aren't many suitable candidates.

 
The England squad looks so poor, Rooney is the only one with any sort of reputation to be granted the captaincy, he's basically been given it be default.

 
Making one of the worst players in an England shirt Captain,

A player who based on performances shouldn't even be starting for England

Well played England, well played. Enjoy your failures

 
Hart isn't good enough. Obviously I'd like Cahill to get it but at least it saves him from the press. Rooney is the obvious choice and possibly the best.

 
I would like to point out that Hodgson has just referred to Colback as 'The ginger Pirlo'. I also would like to announce my retirement from international football.
The media have done what they usually do there and have twisted his words. He never said those words himself. This was the original quote.

'Someone who knows him very well called Jack the "ginger Pirlo" - let's hope that becomes true,'

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno why we get so worked up over the captaincy in this country. Just give it to the player with the most caps (which may be Rooney anyway) and be done with.

 
Lineker had the right idea that the team should elect the captain, removes criticism from Roy and also probably good for team camaraderie.

 
The media have done what they usually do there and have twisted his words. He never said those words himself. This was the original quote.

'Someone who knows him very well called Jack the "ginger Pirlo" - let's hope that becomes true,'
Whoops, my bad! It really is a sorry state of affairs for English football at the moment though.

 
What a blistering start of the season for captain flabtastic 

the_rooney.jpg


 
The way Rooney is playing at the moment it can be compared to Torres at his worst, he's been that bad so far.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top