Which laptop do I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a tough choice, I'd say the Compaq. The only let down on that is that it looks not to run the 64bit windows. I prefer Intel to AMD but the pros outweigh the cons on caparison.

I don't know much about hardware, graphics cards and all that, but I would just about opt for the Compaq.

 
Not a big fan of either brand (Compaq is like the unwanted adopted kid of the family, really), but I'd go with the HP, as its more of an all-round machine specs-wise.

 
having had a few laptops die on me in the last 5 years (fortunately the most recent one was insured) I'd ask if you REALLY need a laptop.

I realised I rarely do any meaningful computer work (i.e. plan elaborate criticism threads) anywhere other than at home. so this time, I decided instead of replacing my laptop with the same model, for the same price (£570) I could get a wireless keyboard and mouse, a dell inspiron 400 (portable desktop that is a little bigger than an external hard drive actually faster than my old laptop in any case) and an hd tv that doubles up as a monitor (the desktop doesn't come with a monitor).

it certainly seems much better value- essentially I have got a nice shiny telly and a slight improvement on my computer for nothing.

p.s. my previous laptop was a packard bell easynote- it was nice enough, but the left click right click and touchpad were terrible.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tough choice, I'd say the Compaq. The only let down on that is that it looks not to run the 64bit windows. I prefer Intel to AMD but the pros outweigh the cons on caparison. I don't know much about hardware, graphics cards and all that, but I would just about opt for the Compaq.
What is the 64bit windows mate? Is it important?

 
When I got my Asus f3jp it came with an extra year warranty as standard. Might make a slight difference if the Asus your looking at it has it.

 
Don't rush into a Compaq...my Compaq gives me electric shocks. It is my sister's old one, but still.

 
What do you need the laptop for ? Unless your going to be gaming or running video editing software I wouldnt bother spending large amounts on a laptop.

If you intend using it for web browsing then go for a netbook like the NC10/

It can run larger programs like photoshop CS5 no problem at all, Iv'e built a number of websites with my netbook without any problem.

Theyre smaller, lighter and easier to carry around.

The bateries usually last 2-3 times as long as a power greedy laptop.

And they can be bought for a little over £200, had mine running 24/7 for near on 2 years, without any problems.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top