Xabi Alonso - New Chelsea Manager

No matter what 2 we use in the middle, whether it's a 2 with wingbacks around them, ot a 2 in a 4-2-3-1, there are still massive gaps between those 2 and the defence, which are being exploited. The only solution I can see to this right now, is to have 3 in the middle, with a Makelele-like screener in front of the back four who just sits there and does nothing else. That would mean sacrificing some of the attack, but right now there is no balance between attack and defence.

It would have to be something like:

team


With a sitting midfielders the fullbacks can in theory get forward a bit more. The other 2 midfielders can condense in the middle when out of possession.
I agree with lack of balance. Midfield 3 is a good idea but that is a position where we have the least number of players and playing Lacroix next to attacking fb is imo a bad idea

 
Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what 2 we use in the middle, whether it's a 2 with wingbacks around them, ot a 2 in a 4-2-3-1, there are still massive gaps between those 2 and the defence, which are being exploited. The only solution I can see to this right now, is to have 3 in the middle, with a Makelele-like screener in front of the back four who just sits there and does nothing else. That would mean sacrificing some of the attack, but right now there is no balance between attack and defence.

It would have to be something like:

team


With a sitting midfielders the fullbacks can in theory get forward a bit more. The other 2 midfielders can condense in the middle when out of possession.
This is perfect. I fully agree that the spaces left by the formation are just impossible for our players to cover at this level. The league has changed since even Tuchel used a 3-4-3, and even that formation was fully reliant on having the world's best CM and wingbacks to cover spaces, quickly imploding when they were injured.

I don't think that it sacrifices much in attack. Lavia isn't really getting involved around the box, our main weapon is getting the ball directly to the front three as quickly as possible. The more times we get the ball to them, the more panic it induces and the more the opponent plays on the backfoot. Having Lavia, Caicedo or James stay deep means that any runners from midfield have to beat them 1v1 instead of outrunning them with a headstart. Second benefit is to our attack, having that extra player higher up the pitch means that they can intercept long balls and actually restart the attack, as opposed to our basketball-style attacking now. Said it in the Hull match thread, I think our attack is actually a bigger problem than our defending because we aren't creating either volume or quality of chances, and we're not recovering possession fast enough to start a second-chance.

Alonso could also opt for Rogers in his preferred no 8/10 role instead of Barco, with Estevao and Palmer wide. Playing direct allows the team to attack with 4 and defend with 6 at all times, with a wingback pressing up as needed. This is probably the biggest tweak that needs to happen, when defending a lead our wing-backs (Neto especially) should really only be pushing up when we have a sustained possession, rather than leading the counter-attack.

 
I dont care about the formation so long as we win. I dont care about the defence conceding goals so long as we win. Tuchel's football was absolute dogsh*t to watch, but it won us the big one, England's WC exit should have kicked him to the curb, England under him didnt know how to play football, I wont be watching anymore of his turd inducing football which is why the scum who own us sacked him.

Not like we havent all been here before taking tactics, Sarri was hounded out of the club, "f**k Sarriball" chants ringing in his ears. We had a good spell with Conte, the football was exciting for 8 months and we won, then it went belly up, We had a few good months under the Spud c**t, then we had two men serve pretending to be managers.

The football has been far from dogsh*te, im enjoying the games. The world has ended on here cause Stevo isnt being given a red carpet.

 
I dont care about the formation so long as we win. I dont care about the defence conceding goals so long as we win. Tuchel's football was absolute dogsh*t to watch, but it won us the big one, England's WC exit should have kicked him to the curb, England under him didnt know how to play football, I wont be watching anymore of his turd inducing football which is why the scum who own us sacked him.

Not like we havent all been here before taking tactics, Sarri was hounded out of the club, "f**k Sarriball" chants ringing in his ears. We had a good spell with Conte, the football was exciting for 8 months and we won, then it went belly up, We had a few good months under the Spud c**t, then we had two men serve pretending to be managers.

The football has been far from dogsh*te, im enjoying the games. The world has ended on here cause Stevo isnt being given a red carpet.
"Turd inducing" to me implies free-flowing football. I think 'constipated' would be a more apt descriptor.

 
Really lost a lot of enthusiasm for the season.

I think zero stability and the constant chopping/changing the manager & squad plays a big factor, but I genuinely felt we should be a lot better than what we are currently seeing. I knew our midfield would be a huge issue but didn’t think we’d be so, so poor off the ball. Mentality is still a big issue even with all the experience heads now in the team.

Just hoping things sort out eventually as I don’t know where we go from here. Unlike some, bar the midfield I’m happy with our signings and think we are more than good enough to secure 70-80 points.
How bad we are off the ball has been an issue for us since the new owners came in, it's the reason why Maresca went so conservative from December in his first season, but he went too conservative. I have never seen it as exposed as it has been so far this season. It feels like every attack has our players in a complete panic. They can barely win a duel and clear it to a team mate and they look like they can barely win a single header from a corner unless they have nobody around them.

Any fan saying they are enjoying this won't last long, not when more 3-0 defeats happen and we find ourselves in the bottom half after Christmas. It needs fixing now, but I don't think we have the players in the squad to fix it.

 
How bad we are off the ball has been an issue for us since the new owners came in, it's the reason why Maresca went so conservative from December in his first season, but he went too conservative. I have never seen it as exposed as it has been so far this season. It feels like every attack has our players in a complete panic. They can barely win a duel and clear it to a team mate and they look like they can barely win a single header from a corner unless they have nobody around them.

Any fan saying they are enjoying this won't last long, not when more 3-0 defeats happen and we find ourselves in the bottom half after Christmas. It needs fixing now, but I don't think we have the players in the squad to fix it.
If we dont have the players in the squad to fix it, why are you upset with it?

we finished bottom half of the league last season playing murderball under maresca and LR so If we finish bottom half this season and have scored a ton of goals and conceeded a ton of goals and been involved in some seriously entertaining games, I'll take it right now.

We are not the club or force we were under Roman, we've sold all the best academy prospects and replaced them with players not up to it. We have sold our best performers for the last two summers. Why are you thinking we're a top club anymore, we are not.

Arsenal just lost 3-0 to a team we beat two weeks earlier in the league, expect more crazy results, it simply isnt the same league with big teams dominating all the lower ones, the smaller ones dont have to sell the best players to the big clubs and it is showing.

The teams getting the results have settled squads; we have huge squad churn which is why I think it refreshing to see Rogers and Palmer enjoying playing football together. The rest of the squad are just disjointed. building a team takes time. Seasons if your an Arsenal fan... We have a new defence, Colwill was out last season, we signed palace's best "defender" and sold our best defender to Como. we have a new keeper, we have two new fullbacks, a midfielder, striker/attackers.

Im not going to go into panic mode given all the changes after 5 games and demand instant success when some things take time to get right. Other teams will lose to Brentford 3-0. They are a very well run club. We are not. we are not a settled club, from boardroom to pitch there are staff changes, players coming and going and now owners are having issues among themselves, it shows in the results.

Im going to enjoy the attacking side of the game Ive missed watching at the Bridge for the past 4 years and hopefully see a side develop a winning run and style under Alonso. win lose or draw im just going to enjoy the attacking side of things and fingers crossed the defence picks up.

 
Turd inducing = free flowing? Better get the Imodium.
A free flow does induce the turd
Otherwise would be absurd
Likewise a stoic midfield
Will render zero gastric yield
However playing end-to-end
Will whizz through the colonic bend
So Sarri's static four-three-three
Will give you naught but fart and pee
With Reece James in a midfield two
You finally can release the poo
Maresca he was so moronic
He had to take a high colonic
The sideways passing amuse-bouche
Resigned him to an anal douche.
Like Enzo, please don't be a bore
About our digestive metaphor

 
A free flow does induce the turd
Otherwise would be absurd
Likewise a stoic midfield
Will render zero gastric yield
However playing end-to-end
Will whizz through the colonic bend
So Sarri's static four-three-three
Will give you naught but fart and pee
With Reece James in a midfield two
You finally can release the poo
Maresca he was so moronic
He had to take a high colonic
The sideways passing amuse-bouche
Resigned him to an anal douche.
Like Enzo, please don't be a bore
About our digestive metaphor
poet.jpg

 
If we dont have the players in the squad to fix it, why are you upset with it?
Just because I know they're not good, I'm not going to be any less upset about it. That would be like saying to a fan that just experienced their team getting relegated "you know we're bad, so why are you upset that we're getting relegated?"

We finished bottom half of the league last season playing murderball under maresca and LR so If we finish bottom half this season and have scored a ton of goals and conceeded a ton of goals and been involved in some seriously entertaining games, I'll take it right now.
I wouldn't, that would be a pathetic season after the money we have spent once again. I don't really think we have been all that entertaining either. The Fulham game was a fun watch, but the others were full of so many errors and a lack of any kind of control that it made these games hard to enjoy.

We are not the club or force we were under Roman, we've sold all the best academy prospects and replaced them with players not up to it. We have sold our best performers for the last two summers. Why are you thinking we're a top club anymore, we are not.
I'm fully aware we're not the force we were under Abramovich and I am fully aware we're not a top club right now, but with the money we have spent, I don't think it's out of line to expect more than finishing 10th. And in all honesty, I don't want to finish 10th, I want better for our club, and I see no shame in having ambition for Chelsea be right up there again. If we have to fight against those in charge of club all of the way to achieve it, so be it. Fans should want the absolute best for their clubs, not just become accepting of it being turned into another Leeds or Leicester.
 
And in all honesty, I don't want to finish 10th, I want better for our club, and I see no shame in having ambition for Chelsea be right up there again. If we have to fight against those in charge of club all of the way to achieve it, so be it. Fans should want the absolute best for their clubs, not just become accepting of it being turned into another Leeds or Leicester.
We should never lose sight of this. The idea that we're playing "attractive" football is far from the money, the bar is in hell because of what Maresca served up but that doesn't mean we are actually attacking well or even playing in an exciting way. It's weird that fans are happy to adopt Wenger-esque narratives about good/bad football to somehow make themselves better about losing.

Every single fan should be utterly and shamefully embarassed that this ownership has spent over a billion pounds to deface and defame the club for four years straight. If circumstances have changed, then change the owners and leaders, not the expectations.

Continue to accept this standard and we'll be the next Leicester.
 
I think we should drop back to 4 3 3 until we get some reinforce ments or 4 - 2 -1 -3
Don't think it matters. Player positions will be similar when we are on/off the ball. Essentially just sacrificing a CB for a conservative fullback.
I'd like to see something like this after the break. (obviously would like to see Estevao be utilized earlier).

Martinez
James Lacroix Colwill Palestra
Caicedo Henderson
Neto Palmer Rogers
Pedro​
 
Just because I know they're not good, I'm not going to be any less upset about it. That would be like saying to a fan that just experienced their team getting relegated "you know we're bad, so why are you upset that we're getting relegated?"


I wouldn't, that would be a pathetic season after the money we have spent once again. I don't really think we have been all that entertaining either. The Fulham game was a fun watch, but the others were full of so many errors and a lack of any kind of control that it made these games hard to enjoy.


I'm fully aware we're not the force we were under Abramovich and I am fully aware we're not a top club right now, but with the money we have spent, I don't think it's out of line to expect more than finishing 10th. And in all honesty, I don't want to finish 10th, I want better for our club, and I see no shame in having ambition for Chelsea be right up there again. If we have to fight against those in charge of club all of the way to achieve it, so be it. Fans should want the absolute best for their clubs, not just become accepting of it being turned into another Leeds or Leicester.

Would be nice to have a winning side, dont want to be relegated, but after all weve been put through,I'm more than alright giving Alonso and the players time to get it right. Some fans actually have patience...

Another manager change isnt going to produce the results you are wanting as most modern coaches are all reading from the same page on tactics with slight variations giving them an advantage. Weve also gone through 5 managers since the new owners took over? ive lost count, seems like a really successful strategy, you want that to continue?

The money being spent isnt related to the talent or ability of a player. think we can all agree Fernadez isnt worth 250 million (thats quarter of a billion, he's dogsh*te) I'd be more than happy reconnecting to the club via academy players, but the general consensus on here is therye not good enough, ever and should be sold to buy promising talented players.

Yet, people are clamouring for Estevao to be included at all costs, change the shape to accommodate him, he's promising but no more so than other youngsters we've brought in and seen vanish. To me, its clear as day he is struggling with the physicality of the league, that's not going to change, he will change clubs.

The scum who own us wont go anywhere until they sell up for a profit. we all have to deal with it.

Im pretty sure we all agree that the churn throughout the club is not great, the player turnover impacts directly on the squad and a settled side is a better one. Yet, here we are. a new backlin and midfield players and wingers and everyone bithcing about it looking like a pub side cobbled together with ringers. Im sorry you cant find fun watching Palmer and Rogers or see positives.
 
We should never lose sight of this. The idea that we're playing "attractive" football is far from the money, the bar is in hell because of what Maresca served up but that doesn't mean we are actually attacking well or even playing in an exciting way. It's weird that fans are happy to adopt Wenger-esque narratives about good/bad football to somehow make themselves better about losing.

Every single fan should be utterly and shamefully embarassed that this ownership has spent over a billion pounds to deface and defame the club for four years straight. If circumstances have changed, then change the owners and leaders, not the expectations.

Continue to accept this standard and we'll be the next Leicester.
Cool, I'll still support Chelsea down the lower leagues should we go there, how about you?

I dont think we are relegation candidates. do you?
 
Would be nice to have a winning side, dont want to be relegated, but after all weve been put through,I'm more than alright giving Alonso and the players time to get it right. Some fans actually have patience...

Another manager change isnt going to produce the results you are wanting as most modern coaches are all reading from the same page on tactics with slight variations giving them an advantage. Weve also gone through 5 managers since the new owners took over? ive lost count, seems like a really successful strategy, you want that to continue?
Not one post have I said we should sack Alonso, I haven't even entertained the thought of it.
 
Cool, I'll still support Chelsea down the lower leagues should we go there, how about you?

I dont think we are relegation candidates. do you?
Of course. I don't give a sh*t about what division we play in. "Sexy football" has been part of Chelsea's history longer than turgid imitations of Mourinho-ball.

But I'm not talking about football, I'm talking about financial recklessness that threatens the existence of the club. Maybe Portsmouth or Bury are better examples.
 
Why can't we build a team? Because we are not building a team.

If we look our outgoing/incoming the majority of them make sense from individual pov but when you look at it in term of what the team need you have lots of question.
 
Of course. I don't give a sh*t about what division we play in. "Sexy football" has been part of Chelsea's history longer than turgid imitations of Mourinho-ball.

But I'm not talking about football, I'm talking about financial recklessness that threatens the existence of the club. Maybe Portsmouth or Bury are better examples.
Finally we get to know who @Sexyfootball is!

1790323265638.png
 
Back
Top