Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Blu-Ray player is a tangible reason to chose one console other the other, rather than saying "if you're serious about games then get an Xbox", which is entirely subjective and a bit dubious since most games come out on both consoles anyway.
Also, everybody knows all the cool kids get a PS3 and the XBox smells like wee.
Disagree, the vast majority of people who are serious gamers have the 360. If you look at most of the professional gamers they for the most part have 360s there's a reason for that.

 
Professional gamer? Is that real?

As in they play games as a profession or those that are on the dole and play games in between Jeremy Kyle and Bargain hunt?

 
Professional gamer? Is that real?
As in they play games as a profession or those that are on the dole and play games in between Jeremy Kyle and Bargain hunt?
As in professional in the sense they get paid to do it, yes. Lucky bar stewards.

 
Professional gamer? Is that real?
As in they play games as a profession or those that are on the dole and play games in between Jeremy Kyle and Bargain hunt?
As EdinburghBlue said, they get paid for playing games. I've read that the top players can pull in six figure salaries.

In other words, people can make more money by playing games than nurses, firefighters, cops etc.

I really would not mind that at all :smile:

 
Blimey! So do you mean they get paid for beta testing by game companies, cause they are better at others at gaming? I can understand that (not the 6 figure sums though)

 
Blimey! So do you mean they get paid for beta testing by game companies, cause they are better at others at gaming? I can understand that (not the 6 figure sums though)
Don't know about beta testers. I was more refering to players who compete in certain games. Starcraft is very popular for those who play on computers.

I used to play with a guy who earned money (not six figures though) by playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Unfortunately he had stopped doing that when I played the most, otherwise I could have been on his team and perhaps earned a few bucks.

Basically, if you're really good (top 10 in the world, atleast) and you play in a team, you can get a salary from the team and also money from sponsors and of course winning competitions.

 
The top 0.001% of professional gamers make anywhere near 6 figures. Most of them barely make enough to support themselves. They have to practice basically all day long and many of them have to pay their way to tournaments that they know they won't win. It's like any profession, really. If you're amazingly good at it, no matter how stupid it is, you can make a living.

 
Only problem is to get a top end gaming rig you are paying many times more than a console.
Not necessarily. Consoles generally launch around $400-500, more in the case of the PS3, and you can definitely build a very nice PC for that price point.

Even a mid-range PC that you build for like $250 will outperform any console on the market. They're just really weak (comparatively speaking) PCs and their hardware never changes. Your computer gets a bit old and you can just swap out parts, upgrade things and keep it current. Consoles become junk when the next generation comes.

 
Not necessarily. Consoles generally launch around $400-500, more in the case of the PS3, and you can definitely build a very nice PC for that price point.
Even a mid-range PC that you build for like $250 will outperform any console on the market. They're just really weak (comparatively speaking) PCs and their hardware never changes. Your computer gets a bit old and you can just swap out parts, upgrade things and keep it current. Consoles become junk when the next generation comes.
I would love to see a pc for $250 outperform a  console at launch. Also, the price of upgrading your pc to keep up with the best that games can do is way beyond the money spent on a console, and with your console your guaranteed the game will run to the best of its capabilities every time. No tweaking graphic settings so it doesnt slow down etc. For the casual gamer a console wins every single time. For gamers where money and time is no object then a PC is obviously the better option.

 
I would love to see a pc for $250 outperform a  console at launch. Also, the price of upgrading your pc to keep up with the best that games can do is way beyond the money spent on a console, and with your console your guaranteed the game will run to the best of its capabilities every time. No tweaking graphic settings so it doesnt slow down etc. For the casual gamer a console wins every single time. For gamers where money and time is no object then a PC is obviously the better option.
At launch you might need to add $50 or $100 to that figure at most. At $350, it really wouldn't be difficult at all, especially if we're talking about this next generation. The guys at Epic Games are on record saying that they've seen next-gen hardware specs and they're incredibly disappointed by how weak they are and that they're not sure the new systems will be able to take advantage of the newest iteration of their engine. If you're not sure why that's a big deal, take a look at all of the games that run on the Unreal Engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

I think that you're either overestimating the cost of putting together a PC or the power of consoles. Next gen consoles are still being locked to 30 fps for crying out loud, that should give you a good indication of how cheap the hardware within is. 

 
Are you sure about the 30fps thing, most specs Ive seen has the new xbox at 60. Theres rumours that people have seen demos using the Unreal Engine running at 60fps at 1080p on it. 

 
I misspoke slightly. The consoles aren't locked to 30 fps, but most games will still only run at 30 fps.

Untitled-JC-30fps.jpg


 
I expect some will go at 30 but the big games will run at 60fps surely. As with any hardware though I expect 60fps will be the norm fairly quickly.

 
Wouldn't buy either now, wait until summer, new xbox and playstation are basically imminent 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I expect some will go at 30 but the big games will run at 60fps surely. As with any hardware though I expect 60fps will be the norm fairly quickly.
Perhaps, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. All I know is that a lot of major developer are unhappy with the specs and that makes me apprehensive. Carmack, Epic, CD Projekt Red, etc. There's a rumor floating around that the 720 is going to use a rebranded graphics card with the same strength of an entry level card that you can buy for around $75 and the PS4 will have a roughly equivalent card. 

 
Just have to look at the 360, it has been out for what, 7 years? and it still runs most games fine, ofc not with the same graphics you can achieve on pc but still.

Battlefield 4 is rumoured to be one of the first launch titles, 60 fps with 64 players and I would be delighted.

I'll definitely go for the xbox again this year, skype will be amazing to have.

Right now I would have to buy a new gfx card to run Ultra on BF3, High is fine though.  I prefer playing on the PC but in terms of value the console will always win for the casual gamer.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top