Your current favourite top twenty artists/bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK Subs are such a cliched cartoon version of punk. I saw them on TOTP 1979 recently i'd forgotten how bad they were. All leather jackets and safety pins it looked like the sort of piss take on punk you'd see in a Benny Hill or Two Ronnies sketch. Punk wasn't for men in there mid thirties with bouffant barnets.
Good live band, made a few decent tunes but if TOTP is your window to the world then what the fock do you know?

 
No particular order...

1. Pink Floyd

2. The Who

3. Kate Bush

4. James Brown

5. The Velvet Underground

6. Deep Purple (mk.2)

7. Peter Tosh

8. Johnny Cash

9. Desmond Dekker

10. Rory Gallagher

11. AC/DC (with Bon Scott)

12. The Temptations

13. Al Green

14. Fleetwood Mac

15. Gary Moore (his bluesy stuff)

16. Diana Ross & The Supremes

17. The Rolling Stones (60's & 70's only)

18. Thin Lizzy

19. Janis Joplin

20. Free

Impossible task really, that list will be different tomorrow!
On a different day that could be my top 20!

 
There's always one, isn't there.

Everyone else who's so far contributed to this thread has done so in a spirit of tolerance towards other people's musical taste. But not you. You zoom in on a band that YOU don't like, that YOU think is crap, indicating your belief that your opinion is that much more important than anyone else's.

I'm not a massive fan of the UK Subs; I used to have diminished responsibility on red vynil way back when, and nowadays I've got a compilation that I dig out now and again. As for their music, the obvious one is Party In Paris. Other highlights include Down On The Farm, Fear of GIrls, and this one, which I referred to previously:



 
No offence meant squire. Just thought they didn't make authentic punks likewise Sham 69.

 
Fair enough, none taken.

Why not try contributing to the thread by putting your own list together.

 
Fair enough, none taken.

Why not try contributing to the thread by putting your own list together.
I would have the same problem as everyone else and forget something or someone. It's a bit like a wedding list. But i will try soon. Favourite group at the moment are the Sleaford Mods. They are raw and totally different by today's standards.


 
No pressure, take your time.

I listened to the above. Never heard of them before; on first impression I think I prefer John Cooper Clarke. Each to his own and all that.

 
No pressure, take your time.

I listened to the above. Never heard of them before; on first impression I think I prefer John Cooper Clarke. Each to his own and all that.
Your bang on JCC and early Fall and a bit of Half Man Half Biscuit. Checkout Tweet Tweet Tweet and Jobseeker by the Sleafords.

 
This is tough. Have left out a lot of artists and bands. Suspect I'll change the list next week. In no particular order but would probably put Bob Dylan at the top especially as I have about 50 of his albums.

1. Bob Dylan

2. Joni Mitchell

3. Kate Bush

4. Rolling Stones

5. John Otway

6. Danny Bryant

7. Joanne Shaw Taylor

8. Janiva Magness

9. Muddy Waters

10. Robert Johnson

11. Bonnie Raitt

12. Billie Holiday

13. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

14. Kate Rusby

15. Thin Lizzy

16. The Blues Band

17. Jefferson Airplane

18.Homemade Jamz Bluesband

19. Chantel McGregor

20. Creedence Clearwater Revival.

 
Thanks for posting Big Figure. Will watch it this evening. Here's a clip of Southside Johnny and Bruce from 1978. Peforming Havin' a Party. For some strange reason I have problems posting from youtube. Could be the browser settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-Ng1f_xUk

 
1)  Beastie Boys (RIP MCA)

2)  Lynyrd Skynyrd

3)  Whodini

4)  Run DMC

5)  The Band (Robbie Robertson et al.)

6)  Ratt

7)  Ace of Base

8)  Bananarama

9)  Fleetwood Mac

10)  The Beatles

11)  AC/DC

12)  Jimmy Hendrix

13)  Bad Company

14)  Elton John

15)  Aerosmith (only the old stuff)

16)  Eminem (only the old stuff)

17)  Kid Rock

18)  ABBA

19)  Rolling Stones (only the very old stuff)

20)  Big Daddy Kane

 
Thanks for posting Big Figure. Will watch it this evening. Here's a clip of Southside Johnny and Bruce from 1978. Peforming Havin' a Party. For some strange reason I have problems posting from youtube. Could be the browser settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-Ng1f_xUk
Cheers. I haven't had time to watch the concert myself, so couldn't tell you how good the quality is. It was the only full concert of theirs I could find though.

As for your problems with youtube, all i can think of is to try another browser.

 
1). AC/DC

2). Guns N'Roses

3). Black Sabbath

4). Ozzy Osbourne

5). Led Zeppelin

6). Pink Floyd

7). Kiss

8). Iron Maiden

9). Red Hot Chilli Peppers

10). Linkin Park

11). Bruce Springsteen

12). Megadeath

13). Metallica

14). Jimi Hendrix

15). U2

16). Good Charlotte

17). Aerosmith

18). Thin Lizzy

19). Pantera

20). INXS

My list is in no particular order. All great artists/bands. 

 
Whaaaa?  I left off Led Zeppelin.  Yikes!  Please replace Bananarama on my list wih Led Zeppelin.

 
Whaaaa?  I left off Led Zeppelin.  Yikes!  Please replace Bananarama on my list wih Led Zeppelin.
Sorry to have to tell you this, but your stuck with the Na Na's... for the rest of your life! 

But seriously, or thereabouts. The word "current" in the topic title indicates that you can post as many lists as you like. You can also include as many or as few bands/artists from previous lists as you want. You can also combine closely related bands and artists. For instance, The Jam/Style Council/Paul Weller, and Rory Gallagher/Taste, as I did in my list.

And so the consolation is that you haven't actually forgotten Led Zep, you've merely managed to overlook them the first time round.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top