Your favourite Beatles song

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the overrated tags applied to many bands in my time, but never is is less appropriate than in the case of the Beatles. By far the most influental band and, possibly, artists of the 20th century.

I know its all down to taste, but the fact is if you listen to those last 5-6 records (Rubber Soul onward) all the way through, they still sound fresh, vibrant, and the push the envelopes of what is possible a full 40 years after they were made. I dont think the comment from 1967, that in 100 years Lennon and McCartney will be remembered like we remember Schubert and Strauss is at all out of line.

As far as my favorite song, there are many many excellent ones, but the one that stands above them for me is "She's Leaving Home". It always reminds me of staying with my great aunt in her vintage 60s townhome in Ashford/Feltham

 
What's everyones fav' Stones song? Mine?; Gimme Shelter.
"She Smiled Sweetly". Not a very typical stones track, but amazing to hear none the less. Anyone else like this one?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's 1970 and The Beatles are persuaded to do one last gig to say goodbye to the world prior to breaking up.The venue is The Albert Hall. They have Billy Preston on organ and a brass section.

This is the set list:

1. Revolution (John)

2. Back in the USSR (Paul)

3. Hey Bulldog (John)

4. Taxman (George)

5. Oh! Darling (Paul)

6. Yer Blues (John)

7. Come Together (John)

8. Let it Be (Paul)

Acoustic interlude

9. Dear Prudence (John)

10. Blackbird (Paul)

11. Across the Universe (John)

12. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George)

13. Got to get you into my life (Paul)

14. I am the Walrus (John)

15. Rain (John)

16. Something (George)

17. Get Back (Paul)

18. Hey Jude (Paul)

19. A Day in the Life (John / Paul)

20. Twist and shout (John)

It was great. I was there.
:shhh: :lol:

Well done Mike! I was tempted to add an encore but your end was too good

 
I was more of a Stones fan - favourite song (at the moment) Ruby Tuesday - more for the memories I attach to it - Melanie also did a great version.

Here's the Stones version

 
and here's the Melanie version. Which do you prefer?

 
How disrespectful to the Stones even putting them in a thread with 'Beatles' in the title, and even more so asking to compare that song.

..but while we're here, this is great Rolling Stones entertainment!




 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on a wee minute here, big yin! I wasn't the first! Was Elliott rebuked? Was Westway Wonder? I don't think so.

I saw the Stones live in 1962 (or 63) when they were very young and on their way up. I did say the Ruby Tuesday thing was a memory rather than a musical choice. And Melanie IS great too in a different way.

We should have a thread where we ask people to post us YouTubes of our favourite songs. Then we could vie with each other in making scathing remarks about each others' choices.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It was tongue in cheek moi, it's not all serious round here!

The youtube threads have been done before, sadly ending up slipping down The Shed End well.

 
It was tongue in cheek moi, it's not all serious round here!The youtube threads have been done before, sadly ending up slipping down The Shed End well.
I knew that, you plonker. If I were seriously cross, I would either ignore you or I would post something truly vitriolic which would send you to check that you'd remembered to lock your doors.

Shame about the youtube - I thought I'd had such a clever and original idea. I guess everything slips down the well in the end.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top